Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Lets welcome our newest member, stpackard!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Talking Lets welcome our newest member, stpackard!

Hey guys, please help me welcome our newest member, stpackard, to the Nebraska Chapter!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 AM
stpackard
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Hello all, Sam Packard here in Lincoln. I'm starting a 1969 F250 4wd project - step one was driving it from Joliet IL, getting a good tarp setup (last night's rain showed I'm going to need to build a tarp bed frame), and making some blocks for it. Truck is from Oregon and has minimal rust. Mechanicals are solid, now my long-term project is to tear it down, sand blast, undercoat, and repaint after raising our garage opening.
I look forward to checking out you guys' projects and posts here on this forum and learning some from you all.
Thanks
Sam Packard
Near South, Lincoln, NE

Seller's photo in Illinois

Seller's photo in Illinois

Rebuilt engine smells fresh after running for a an hour or so, Is this a 390

No choke plate but fires up (after getting out my wallet in Spring Valley Illinois for new battery terminals)

underneath cab. Truck is from Oregon. Was looking for minimal rust and solid mechanicals.

Fits in the driveway and my wife said she liked the truck

Before the trip home

Front end view

Old 09-29-2015, 10:36 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Good looking truck and welcome to the chapter. Pat owes us all money, so watch out.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:20 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome, fellow Lincolnite!
I have a '69 F250 CS. So far this year....... I haven't even gotten the cover off of him. 58 hour work weeks don't leave much free time. And the honey do list uses up most of that!
I'm up around 33rd and Holdrege.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Sam, what a great find, nice truck! You'll be glad you got a nice clean truck. Especially if you go through my 67 build thread, I've spent the last two years cutting out rust!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Steve GG
FTE Legend
Received 290 Likes on 246 Posts
Howdy from the Heart of Dixie...

Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking truck you got there! I'll keep my eyes open for it around town. Come by the Show & Shine that they have at the Culver's on North 27th St. Friday evenings.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 PM
stpackard
Tuned
Pat, I've spent the last few days looking through your project. It's inspiring to see your thoroughness!

Looking over your project, it looks like the big factor is the space, setup, tools, and time. I'd be a frazzled idiot to try to revamp my city garage and buy a bunch of tools all of sudden to get started.

My uncle has 4 70's f250's and the air, lift, and welding setup in his farm garage. He's restoring one with his son and I've got to get out there soon to check out the progress except that it's harvest time of the year. Thinking of trading some labor, I think I still don't mind wading in mud puddles! I'm wary of approaching even a family member: "Hey can I (we) tear down my 69 F250 in your shop and use your tools to restore it, and could you also lend some time and expertise? I have no idea how long this would take!" Not an easy thing for me to ask by any means!

I'm going to need to take it slow and continue keeping her dry while figuring out more about the whole seemingly complicated process of tear-down, body blasting, rust removal and parts patched, then undercoated and painted. Hopefully it's simpler than I think.

Ordered a set of shop manuals for the truck's year and if you can't tell yet, this probably screams that I'm a newcomer to auto mechanics! Not bothering buying/installing new door and window seals now even though it needs them. I'll do that when the final assembly happens and I'll make sure to not drive it in the rain or in the salt snow.

Thanks you all for the welcomes - this is a good thing going on - I look forward to reading more of you all's projects and seeing your builds!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Sam, the biggest thing is having a plan, and being organized. Bagging and tagging with lots of pics during teardown will keep you from going nuts putting it all back together!

Something else you may want to get, and it's only like 20-some bucks, is the parts breakdown CD for these trucks. Shows every single assembly, and how it breaks down, and all the part #'s. Trust me, its worth having! Here is a link to it if you'd like to order one:

1964-72 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

Old 10-04-2015, 11:19 PM
smadden
Junior User
welcome! stupid jealous of that clean truck!! I have a 75. and just got done with tear down. now powdering coating.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:26 PM
stpackard
Tuned
Smadden, I'd like to see some pictures if you've got them.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 PM
stpackard
Tuned
Was poking around at Watt's in Wymore and found these on a Ford van. They say Rotunda on them but have fomoco on the gaskets. It sounds like these might have been sold separately or are aftermarket. I think these look to be the western junior mirrors or a copy. They will need bracket work to install. Anyone know a glass place in Lincoln who could cut an automotive mirror to fit?

Perhaps they'll fit the 69 doors with some new stainless hardware and bracket work

Mirror design looks to be ford western but has rotunda on it

Larger gaskets say fomoco

Old 10-10-2015, 04:19 PM
smadden
Junior User
Originally Posted by stpackard
Smadden, I'd like to see some pictures if you've got them.
Take a look at my profile I got some there. I also got a build thread going. Should be able to find that too on there

Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 PM
stpackard
Tuned
Mechanic recommendations

Hi All,
I'm not a mechanic and tuning the engine is not something I have the confidence or know how to do right now. I believe the idle needs adjustment and it's been running a little rough at idle. Plus I'd like to get the piece of mind to know that timing and other things are tight.
I'd like to find a mechanic in Lincoln who'd know about this and who I could go back to for anything else on the truck.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
I appreciate it
Sam

Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
deljac
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the chapter. And wow what a beautiful truck I'm helping my son build a 69 f250 wish his was that nice. I'm also in Lincoln and always willing to help out a fellow ford truck guy.

Quick Reply: Lets welcome our newest member, stpackard!