Sponsored by: Moser

Premium radio wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:07 AM
soling2003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premium radio wiring

ok, so I finally broke down and bought a 2014 XLT. Just like my 2010 and 11 super duties, the speakers in the truck are s**t. So I ordered a new set and a sub. Al;most went with the Kicker, but for a bit less I hope I'm getting a bit more. Not going to replace the head unit, at least yet. But there will be an amp for the sub and the door speakers too, since I have two just sitting in the garage waiting to be used.

I think I have it all figured out except I'm not sure where the cross over is for the tweeters. It appears to be in the wiring somewhere according to one diagram I saw. But all it shows is that the wires to the tweeters split off from the front door speakers. Doesn't show crossover or anything. When I replaced the ones in my 2010 F250 XLT the crossover was on the front door speakers. So it was easy to do, just put the cross over in the door. Anyone know for sure where they are? I also heard that it was built into the receiver, which I hadn't head of before.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to being able to turn the tunes up with the windows down here and still hear great music.

Gary

Old 09-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how the 2014's are but on my 2012 IIRC there was a bass blocker on the OEM door speakers. I have the tweeters in the A pillars which I disconnected due to the Kicker door speakers being coaxial. I installed the Kicker system. For 399 bucks it was too good to pass up and it is pretty much PNP.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:11 AM
soling2003
Senior User
Well, after three partial days I have all the speakers in and mostly wired. I spent more time trying to figure out how they wired things and how trim was installed than actually installing the speakers. The second time it would take me just a few hours. Rear doors are super easy as I replaced them with Pioneer 6x8's. The fronts I replaced with 61/2" components. Made an adapter, that was fine. The only real issue is the tweeters.
There are some good videos out there for the door trims, but virtually nothing I could find about the front A post trim. The passenger side was easy, just remove the two screws under the caps and it pries right off. But the driver side.....not so much. There is an airbag under it too. But now that it is off, I can see it was just hard to pry it off. Ended up breaking the top snap. Have to buy a new one. Of course it is a special one.
Bought a 10" sub for the back under the seat, and I already had an amp. ran the wires just fine for that. Used the rear speakers for input.
I tried running new speaker wires into the door on the passenger side thru the door plug. Not too bad as that one was easy to get out. But the driver side I couldn't open the door enough to get the plug undone. So I was just going to use the stock wiring from that point to the door.
Everything is now on hold till the Kenwood 4 channel amp is here in a few days and I'll remove the dash trim and put that up there.
Bottom line so far: With the stock head unit and the basic small screen on an xlt, the sound is amazingly different. The tweeters really add a lot. I had one side done, the other side was still stock. No amps yet. You could hear all the guitar strumming and other higher notes on the Pioneer side, but the ford side was just kind of muddled. The bass coming out of the ford side was also kind of muddled, the pioneer side was pretty crisp, but not as much different as I had hoped. I am really hoping the Kenwood amp will make the difference there.

So far compared to the price of the Kicker one everyone is raving about and plug and play, with a 400 watt Kenwood amp, pair of Pioneer 6x8 and component 6.5's with tweeters and crossover, and Pioneer 10" sub, I'm into it about $300. The component speakers really make a difference!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have it worked out. Good job. As you have learned, after taking a panel off once it only takes a third of the time next go around. It still kills me that three different sizes of bolts are used on the door panels and speakers.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 PM
soling2003
Senior User
Just went to the Ford stealer today to get the clip for the drivers side windshield pillar trim. The upper one I broke trying to get it back in. All I can say is DAMN! The parts guy thought it was just the part of it. I asked if he had one in stock, luckily they did. It was all three pieces...the part that goes on the plastic trim and the two "springy" ones that go on either side of it. Great, no problem there.....till he said how much it was. $19.12! I said, I only need one, not a dozen...I couldn't believe it. Not that $20 is going to bank rupt me, be come on, a small piece of metal and the others are all around $3 each. I could get them online for around $13, but it would cost me the difference in shipping here to Hawaii for sure. Here is the part number if anyone ever needs one, W713508S424. It fits a lot of other years and model Fords too, but they all are the same part number and price.....