Sponsored by:

OEM Cigar Lighter Add On to '73 Bronco Ranger & Now Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:07 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Cigar Lighter Add On to '73 Bronco Ranger & Now Won't Start

I wanted to add an OEM cigar lighter to my '73 Bronco Ranger dash. I reviewed the dash set-up with a factory cigar lighter to determine where to place it on the dash. Drilled a 7/8" hole & inserted it with no issues. In order to keep it on continuously I Connected a 14 gauge wire w/a built in fuse & spliced it to the "red" wire going to the lights since it is hot all the time. Now, everything's dead. No lights, hazard, wipers, & won't turn over! Is there something that I could've tripped somewhere? I didn't check the fuse for the lights since nothing's working I would think it's something in the engine bay but need some assistance in trying to run it down. Thanks

Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cigar lighter should not be tapped into lights. Should be on a separate fuse on the fuse box. Headlights are not fused. Protected by a thermal breaker in the headlight switch. If no electrical at all, check fuse link located at starter solenoid relay first after disconnecting what you have done. The wire for the cigar lighter should have been in place, even if not used.

Last edited by gfw1985; 09-23-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Not enough coffee.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
do it right

Is it fordamotion dot com that has yr-by-yr schematics 4 da bronk? take out what U done. C if yer yr had the lighter accessory.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:49 AM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Ok, so, even though there wasn't a hole on my dash for the cigar lighter there still should have been wiring there for it? If so, where would it have been placed, since it wasn't used behind the dash? "fordamotion" isn't a website & couldn't find any schematics on "fordmotion" either. Does anyone have the fuse box labeling diagram for '73?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
fordification.com
also
broncohio
could B 2 places w/schematics.

U bought a vehicle over several decades old -
it's a lill different than 2day's... research some & go gentile.
Sometimes it's better to go slow w/info 1st. sometimes not...
All that depends on what U wanna end up with. Have fun, B safe
& keep talkin. We're here. I consider gfw1985 an automotive (& possibly 'other') electrics expert.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Thanks. I will check out. First off, everything obviously went dead simultaneously upon splicing the wire so, I think it was immediately. After the splice connection I pushed the lighter in & nothing. Then turned on the dome light (nothing), then wipers (nothing) then tried to start (nothing). I checked the fuses in fuse panel & all were good. Then put my charging box to the battery & it lite up green so, batteries fine. What about what appears to be a relay type box on passenger rear of engine bay which is on the firewall directly in front of the fuse panel (could I have tripped something in there or the solenoid oblong piece attached to the outside driver's side bottom right of the box? Here's a link to the pictures of the two items 1973 Ford Bronco Engine Bay Relay Box pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Old 09-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Well Mom told you not to smoke. So.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:52 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Well Mom told you not to smoke. So.
Nice, but I don't smoke. Only wanted to put one in the factory spot on dash w/keeping it OEM if possible! Sux after purchasing & realizing that the bezel is connected to the pull out "hot" end of the lighter instead of on the dash!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
LOL, sorry not very helpful.

So that was the problem? I thought lighters were one wire, and body grounded to metal dash. Those Bastids! I guess they had to, because the dashes aren't metal.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
Originally Posted by chrlsful
fordification.com
also
broncohio
could B 2 places w/schematics.
I checked both sites: 1. Only went up to '72 wiring & schematics, & 2. didn't have any either.

Originally Posted by Tedster9
LOL, sorry not very helpful.

So that was the problem? I thought lighters were one wire, and body grounded to metal dash. Those Bastids! I guess they had to, because the dashes aren't metal.
The lighter does just have one place for a "hot" wire on the rear. However, when I spliced it into the "red" wire on the lights (because it is always hot) nothing works now (lights, wipers, ignition, etc...)! TOTALLY DEAD & I have NO idea where to go to track down the problem (i.e., ALL fuses in panel are in good shape so, I don't know if there's a fuseable link somewhere else & if so, where is it located, etc..)

Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
I think GFW1985 and others are on the right track. Look for a fusible link that got smoked, I guess. I would start ohming out the various wires to find it if necessary. It's an "interesting" tale though! My 64 didn't have the lighter hooked up when I bought it. Looked brand new. Eventually I hooked it up so I could charge up cell phones and stuff like that. No drama though.

The cigarette lighter receptacles have a sulphur-disc, not a fuse. Headlights have a circuit breaker. Just hooking up a lighter shouldn't do anything at all afaik. Check the fuses real carefully, sometimes they look OK but aren't, especially the glass Buss type. Also use your google-fu wisely, I bet you're not the first to discover this "feature" of Broncos.

It doesn't make sense for everything to be out though.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbeardbiii
What about what appears to be a relay type box on passenger rear of engine bay which is on the firewall directly in front of the fuse panel (could I have tripped something in there or the solenoid oblong piece attached to the outside driver's side bottom right of the box? Here's a link to the pictures of the two items 1973 Ford Bronco Engine Bay Relay Box pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
That's the voltage regulator for the alternator; that shouldn't cause a no-start.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:16 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Do you have a good wiring diagram? There are some links to some in this thread. Also I have a pdf of diagrams that I can send you. If you want them, just PM me you email address.

There should be a fuse link in a black-red wire coming off of the battery side of the starter relay. This is the wire that supplies power to both the ignition and headlight switches.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbeardbiii
Does anyone have the fuse box labeling diagram for '73?
Maybe this will help?

Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2015, 12:21 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
seabiscuit68.tripod.com for wiring diagrams. Here is an example showing fuse link. BK/Red 16 gauge wire #38

Quick Reply: OEM Cigar Lighter Add On to '73 Bronco Ranger & Now Won't Start