Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 F250 advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:42 PM
DomsF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F250 advice on purchase

So, this is Dom that had my F250 stolen.

I found this 2001 F250. My question is that:

1. Is the 7.3 really that good.

2. Is this car worth it. I see 7.3s bringing good money in Houston.

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty PLATINUM EDITION 7.3L POWERSTROKE DIESEL

Old 09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
To late I bought it. Just kidding
Thats some serious $$$ i would look else, around my area those trucks go between 3k all the way to 8k, I know it's a platinum but damm, things are expensive up there

Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Purchase advise ? Buyer beware is usually sound advise buying used merchandise.

From the pics you can make a few observations.
Bent rear bumper
Cheap replacement battery cables
Less then ideal air filter, at least from a maintence and engine longevity standpoint
Rear differential weeping fluid.
Dented bed with possible new spray in liner masking the true nature of its previous life ?
Looks to be a goose neck hitch in the bed indicating at some point it did some towing.

I would definitely dig deeper and look for evidence that the PO was either fanatical about maintence or as some of those pics suggest , cheaped out on the maintence stuff.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Looks pretty clean. Wheels are pitting. You could offer less. Check Kelly blue book for the value. The mikes seem a little high to me for the price. However it will sell so I just depends on how much you think its worth.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Mahir Sa'id
Freshman User
i would advise not to its a truck they are great and they made ALOT of these and you will find the right one. this one is to expensive for what it has plus it looks like you buying from a dealer. dealers usually never know to much about the engine they have in the truck they dont now all the details and stuff the miles are kinda high for a price like that i would listen to pirate4x4 makes sense. plus buy from a owner not a dealer
someone that can tell you what they've used it for

Old 09-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Purchase advise ? Buyer beware is usually sound advise buying used merchandise.

From the pics you can make a few observations.
Bent rear bumper
Cheap replacement battery cables
Less then ideal air filter, at least from a maintence and engine longevity standpoint
Rear differential weeping fluid.
Dented bed with possible new spray in liner masking the true nature of its previous life ?
Looks to be a goose neck hitch in the bed indicating at some point it did some towing.

I would definitely dig deeper and look for evidence that the PO was either fanatical about maintence or as some of those pics suggest , cheaped out on the maintence stuff.
I second all this....and that truck seems too good to be true, while nice and pretty, I personially would stay away from it, especially at that price point...it better have the ability to teleport me where ever i want, make coffee in the morning and tuck me into bed at night for that kind of $$$....oh and have full leather (not the fake stuff) and be a high end luxery car for that price...

my truck even through a local dealer was about $6k which is more on point with other trucks like this, yes the 7.3 IF taken care of properly will last longer tehn the truck and trans,,,

Old 09-20-2015, 02:11 AM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DomsF250

1. Is the 7.3 really that good?
Yes. The lowest emission controlled DIT Diesel in it's class. Superior wear and durability. Of course, they can also be destroyed easily.

Originally Posted by DomsF250

2. Is this car worth it.
To you, or me? Everyone classifies and places material things differently. in their own way as it were. To me, No.

For me to consider it:

1. Produce a paper trail for both maintenance and ownership.

2. Background, like Car Facts. It's not going to catch everything. But, if it were a Katrina or Sandy Truck you would want to know up front. I would pony up that first with the VIN.

3. Do you, or someone you know have the knowledge to evaluate the Engine. $15k to purchase to find out it needs $5k in work would hurt.

4. My advice is: Purchase something in the $4k-$8k range and have some cushion for repairs and modification. Just me.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Metz22
Senior User
That is a nice looking truck. You have gotten some sound advice here. In my opinion it is overpriced for the mileage. For 15k, or less, you should be able to find one with half that on the clock. I just bought my first 7.3 a few weeks ago so I know how it is shopping for one of these. At least you don't have to worry about rust out there.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:11 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
These 2 pics make me raise an eyebrow more then the cheaped out maintence ones since those are obvious. These 2 deserve a closer look. Maybe I am just paranoid or ignorant. Probably both.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
These 2 pics make me raise an eyebrow more then the cheaped out maintence ones since those are obvious. These 2 deserve a closer look. Maybe I am just paranoid or ignorant. Probably both.

What exactly are you pointing out? Eyeballs are still scratchy out here

Old 09-20-2015, 07:38 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Viewing them on a smallish mobile device screen may be affecting my view but I see:

Top pic, Body seams in the top left corner of the window and bottom left corner of the window do not look not quite right to me.

Bottom pic, Shoulder harness seat belt and center belt do not appear to match color and both look the wrong color for the trucks trim. They look tan in a grey interior. Also the shoulder belt "warning label" decal seems to have a lot of wear on it compared to the seat. Most rear seats in trucks don't get used enough to wear the decal off the belt.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:40 PM
DomsF250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Thomas White
Yes. The lowest emission controlled DIT Diesel in it's class. Superior wear and durability. Of course, they can also be destroyed easily.

To you, or me? Everyone classifies and places material things differently. in their own way as it were. To me, No.

For me to consider it:

1. Produce a paper trail for both maintenance and ownership.

2. Background, like Car Facts. It's not going to catch everything. But, if it were a Katrina or Sandy Truck you would want to know up front. I would pony up that first with the VIN.

3. Do you, or someone you know have the knowledge to evaluate the Engine. $15k to purchase to find out it needs $5k in work would hurt.

4. My advice is: Purchase something in the $4k-$8k range and have some cushion for repairs and modification. Just me.
Thanks so much! That was the advice I was looking for. We went and saw this truck.

1. Yes it does have a tan lap belt. I also pointed out some other flaws in the truck.

2. I have a solid diesel expert here in town I was going to take the truck for a good once over. If I can get closer the price.

3. I have always heard the 7.3 is an awesome engine. I had the 6.0 and loved it. The guy I got it from was going back to a 7.3
Every diesel, For diesel guy that is, raves about the 7.3

My thought is I can't afford a 6.7, I know the 6.4 is a ticking time bomb
and I would go back to a 6.0 if I can find the right one and get it bullit proofed. Am I off base thinking a 7.3, for the right price, it the way to go.

BTW I don't anything heavier the a quart of Bluebell Ice cream, I just love diesel trucks and the cab room. An Ecoboost F150 is on my short list.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I did see belt but thought it was just camera. Good eye Pirate

Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by hanklin
I did see belt but thought it was just camera. Good eye Pirate
X2!

A mildy modded 6.0 will be faster than a mildy modded 7.3, but you'll probably have a lot less unscheduled belly-on-the-hood-latch time with the 7.3. It's a simpler engine and if you have a set of tools you can do most repairs yourself.

That's a typical price in the SF Bay Area, FWIW. But bent bumper, tan belt... that moves the price down a good chunk to me. Maybe even skip it. As Mahir pointed out they made a lot of these things. Harder to find grandpa's retirement gift to himself now, but they are still out there.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Mahir Sa'id
Freshman User
it took me a year to find the right one i wanted they are good engines and the best place for me personnaly is craigslist to find these and if your paying a price that high for that truck with that engine it better have new injectors, new cups, new glow plugs, basically that engine should be rebuilt at that price, these engines last but if someone didnt take care of them before you then your gonna have a tough time spendng more money on top of a price for the truck. i personnaly dont like 4x4 so it took me awhile to find the 2wd f250 the right one for me. waiting is always better then just getting one casue its there at that time. the right one will come your way.. look on craigslist my advise from a owner