6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 Excursion 6.0 Crank- No start Help I have ScanGaugeII values ready to go

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:35 PM
tjspates
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Excursion 6.0 Crank- No start Help I have ScanGaugeII values ready to go

Hi there I need some help with an issue that happened a couple of days ago. My truck started and ran as it always did and about a mile it just quit. I tried to restart it and it just cranked but wont start. I towed her home and started to do some research on my 6.0, I'm not a diesel guy/mech but I love this truck.

I bought a scangauge II and did test for the normal no start issues that Ron on you tube mentioned.

Values are as followed engine off

14.8 - IPR 0- SYC
48.0 FMP 28 - ICP - I was thinking that the ICP sensor was a newer 04 model so the values come back a little higher.

While Cranking its as follows

84.7 - IPR 1- SYC
48.0 FMP 46- ICP

Research says that I think if the IPR is bad or unplugged it could show a low value on the ICP..

Also I wanted to check both the IPR and the ICP for connection and to make sure no oil on connectors. See if the IPR screen was cracked or cut.

I have tried to find them and cant so I thought they were behind the turbo so we took that off and no i still cant find it. I have the truck apart and it got late so I have decided to take a break and come back to it tomorrow.

As I said I'm not a diesel mech but I'm pretty good with figuring things out or at least enough to get into trouble.

If anyone could help me with the locations and a plan of attach from this point for a some success that would be great.

Thanks in advance with any help!!!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:43 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Here are some pictures. Pretty handy for getting familiar with this engine.
Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual
Page 11 is the ICP and IPR location but it's not a great shot. They are under/behind the turbo on the driver side.

If you unplug the ICP (sensor) the PCM will see its missing and set a default value that may allow the engine to start if the sensor is bad and reading a low number. So that's a good place to start, unplug the ICP and see if it will start. Under normal conditions with the ICP plugged in, the reading needs to be at least 500 (psi) for the truck to start. Your reading of 46 is very low, indicating the high pressure oil pump has failed or ther is a big leak in the high pressure oil system.

The IPR reads from 14.4 ish to 85. This reading is in percent (duty cycle). The IPR valve is only an actuator that defaults to the nomally open position. This means it exhausts most (or all) of the high pressure oil pump output to the crankcase sump when it's not energized. When the engine is started, it is COMMANDED by the PCM to increase duty cycle (to close), in order to increase ICP as needed. Remember, it is only an ACTUATOR. If a small piece of debris lodges up inside to jam it up, it can/will prevent it from closing, thus creating low ICP numbers. Your reading of 84.7 means it's being told to close completely raising pressure as much as possible. if it doesn't crank with the ICP disconnected either the pump isn't putting out, there is a large leak or the IPR isn't closing even though it being commanded to.

The HPOPump is an expensive part and a good shop would do an air test to verify if there are any leaks and where they are by removing the ICP and attaching shop air to its mounting hole before throwing a pump on it. Instructions are in the Tech Folder here in the 6.0 forum. I will say odds are good that the pump has failed.

Here is a good list of what most of the sensors SHOULD read: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...4&d=1424302615

And a list of acronyms to help sort out the components: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/821641-acronyms.html

Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 AM
tjspates
New User
Thanks Rusty so much..!

I knew about the 500 PSI to start but I guess I got a head of myself. Now that I have the truck apart and turbo off, what should I do to test the ICP by unplugging it.. If it was that simple that would be great. Would you say to put it all back together and test from there first or would you go a different route seeing that its all apart at this point? Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
It's your call really, I'm not a fan of throwing parts at a problem but in this case I might consider it since your that far in. Maybe some of the other guys can weigh in. It needs to be back together to test the ICP. I think it could crank and idle without the turbo but it's going to leak a lot of oil. I haven't tried that. Then an air test to rule out leaks- which are not nearly as common on the early engines. You'll also need an elusive metric to SAE adapter to hook up the air. Most of the time if the pump is bad you can feel it ratcheting if you pull it off and turn it by hand on the workbench. A common failure is it spits out a metal ball (plug) from the side of the oil pump housing if that's missing it would be more visual confirmation the pump has issues.
I guess in a nut shell, if it were my truck I'd go on in for the pump, if I were working on someone else's truck I'd do the diag first. As I said those things are not cheap. On that subject, I'd consider an aftermarket unit. Someone sells a pump called Adrenaline and I've heard that Dieselsite sells one with modifications to reduce failure (may be the same pump). Remans, even from Ford don't have a good track record.

If your interested, here is some info on how these pumps fail, follow the link in the first post for pictures and a possible fix.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...and-a-fix.html

On edit: you could also take a look at the IPR before pulling th pump just to rule it out. Pull the screen off the end, stand it upright on a clean shop rag, and spray carb/brake cleaner or wd40 through the holes around the outside and see if any trash comes out of it. It has a plunger inside that should move freely and you can set the open end of the IPR on a bolt or something and press the body down gently while spraying to help loosen anything that may be trapped in there. Sometimes the screen will crack/break and a small piece will lodge inside ith IPR plunger holding it open and keeping it from making pressure. If you get any trash out that could have been the issue.

Last edited by Rusty Axlerod; 09-20-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add
Old 09-20-2015, 10:30 AM
tjspates
New User
Thanks for the quick reply you've been great! I will let you know how it goes as I go further.. I'm going to check the IPR.. Then the ICP.

For some reason I was going after the IRP in the first place and have a feeling I was going to find a rip in the screen... Just a hunch...

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Good luck with it!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:51 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
If you still can't find the IPR, watch this video, he shows how to remove it (without removing the turbo BTW). Takes a special tool.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:14 PM
tjspates
New User
Fiveojester, thanks for the video.. That helps big time. I wish I had not rushed to take the turbo out... I will let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the help!