1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3L International DIT is getting oil into fuel system....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Wayne Dorman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3L International DIT is getting oil into fuel system....

My 1997 F-250 7.3L Internaional DIT is still getting oil into my fuel system even after changing my injectors and I had my injector cups checked and the cups are good and all of my injectors are good but my in tank pumps for both tanks are good but doesn't sound like they are coming on but I am getting fuel to filter housing with enough pressure to sometimes start the truck and even sometimes let me drive it but other times will only allow the truck to turn over and also sometimes the truck will start but choke itself out 30sec. later and will go back to only turning over and just last night I got the truck to start and run like it was brand new and would start up every time I tried to start it and then this morning and all day today it is back to the only turning over and sometimes starting for 30sec. then choking out again. Please if anyone can help me with any info please text me at (225)-245-4491 . As soon as I find out what is wrong with my truck I will post the results of how I fixed my problem.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wrong forum, take this over to Powerstroke forum.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a bad HPOP to me

Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Oil in the fuel is usually caused by bad/damaged o rings on the injectors. When you installed the different injectors did you install new o rings? You need to lube the snot out of the o rings when you install them. There are no in tank pumps on these truck, just the mechanical 2 stage pump located on the engine, in front and below the turbo. Have you checked the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel filter bowl? You should have a minimum of 20 lbs. while cranking. It sounds to me like the fuel pump is crapping out.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Tom is leading you in the right direction. What did you change your injectors with? New, used, or reman? Either way new o-rings that are a must and need to be well lubed. You can use a regular tire pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure while cranking.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:59 PM
Wayne Dorman
New User
I'm sorry if the is the wrong forum or not but it appeared to me that this group of people could help me the most with my problem that I am having; My hpop is good and my pump on top of my motor is good I have gotten my truck to run twice in the last month, for my truck interestingly enough it does have an in-tank pump in both tanks and I found out today that the pump for my rear tank isn't coming on do to a bad inertia switch on it do to a bad connection where the two little prongs touch the back plate for it, and as far as the injectors and o-rings for them I had 5 bad injectors 3 on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side and I replaced them all with all new parts, also had the injector cups changed by a diesel shop and I also as of today cleared out my whole fuel system, and yes I know it's normally a bad thing to do but with as much oil as I had in my system I know is would be a little ok to do, and I know that put air into the system but I am already prepared to deal with that problem when it comes time too, because I have been doing my homework since day one of this problem, so once I get everything put back together and refilled I will let the outcome be known on if the problem is solved or not k. But please to everyone and anyone who can help with advice please keep it coming always please because the more we all can learn I say the better. Thanks

Old 09-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Wayne Dorman
New User
Oh and I am getting 20psi. through the valve but the bad thing is; is that when I press on the stem to check it I got mostly oil coming out of it.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
A moderator has moved you to the correct forum so all is well. If you are getting that much oil into the fuel bowl something is wrong. You mentioned that you replaced 5 injectors, were the o-rings replaced in the other three? Most of the time oil enters the fuel system through a bad injector o-ring. There is the possibility the shop who did your work may have installed them incorrectly. Did it drive home from the shop?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:22 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Typical injector O ring symptom. The shop that did the work probably cut one of the rings durring installation. Maybe your tanks are really contaminated with oil frpm before the repairs were done, clean out the fuel tanks and try again. Another possibility is they cruised in your truck and re filled it woth waste motor oil .
PS
No fuel pumps in the tanks just FYI.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
PS
No fuel pumps in the tanks just FYI.
If he has an inertia switch , he might be running a converted gasser

Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
I was wondering about the possibility of someone swapping tanks with a gas burner truck.
Oil in fuel problem aside, would gaser fuel pumps generate enough fuel pressure to run a 7.3? I am probably wrong but I thought they make about 35-40psi.

I don't want to distract from the issue at hand, primarily being the oil in the fuel, just wondering out loud.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 97-psd
I was wondering about the possibility of someone swapping tanks with a gas burner truck.
Oil in fuel problem aside, would gaser fuel pumps generate enough fuel pressure to run a 7.3? I am probably wrong but I thought they make about 35-40psi.

I don't want to distract from the issue at hand, primarily being the oil in the fuel, just wondering out loud.
If what he is saying is factual , he has 3 fuel pumps .Oil in the fuel can only come from O rings .He said he cleaned the entire system & still had oil in the FPR .

Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
I definitely agree with the o-ring problem. Either the shop made an error during installation or they missed something with the other 3 injectors, either way it should probably go back to the shop who performed the work if possible.
OP, did you drive the truck home after the shop completed the work on the truck?

I was wondering if maybe somebody tried a different way to do e-fuel. There are several possibilities if the OP is correct about having pumps in the tanks.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:51 AM
Wayne Dorman
New User
Updates

Hey everyone sorry I've been busy working; but anyways first to get the issue about if I have in tank pumps, or not. Yes I do have in tank fuel pumps, and I know this because I have worked in mechanic shops before, and I have worked out of my yard before like I am now, and I have worked for O'REILLY Auto Part store before and so I know what I am looking at, and what I am doing, so like I said I have three fuel pumps; second nobody has made any conversations to this truck everything is as close to original as you can get, I know this because the only other two people that has owners my truck ever since it was bought brand new off a Ford card lot back in 1997, my truck has what is called the 2 wheel drive tow truck package from the factory, and now as far as driving it home from the shop yes it ran like it was new again, but only for an hour which was from the shop to home then started with the same problem as before it went into the shop, and I know the correct oil was used because I went and bought everything myself from the parts store and stood next to the mechanic while he installed everything I bought, and as far as the other injectors my #1 injector was stuck open, but I also discovered the cause of it getting stuck open and fixed what caused that problem, and what it was; was that the problem was the idiot at the used car lot I got the truck from put a handful of sand into the fuel filter housing so the truck would end up back at the car lot broke down so he could buy it for almost nothing and get someone to fix it and have a great truck to turn around and sale, he said he wasn't expecting a mechanic to come and buy it, but anyways I changed my fuel filter housing and fuel pressure regulator and cleaned everything to do with the fuel system out, and checked all of the injectors again so now once I finish putting my tank back in and get some diesel and more oil and get it to start I will let everyone know if the problem is fixed or not at that point k. Please keep any, and all info coming, because the more we all can learn I say the better. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:16 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's quite a story.
Either the truck has been modified/altered/swapped/whatever or you only have the one fuel pump in the engine valley. Period. There are no in-tank pumps in the OBS PSD trucks.
If sand has been through the injectors, the internal O-rings are probably leaking badly. You'll need to get reman injectors most likely.

Quick Reply: 1997 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3L International DIT is getting oil into fuel system....