Utah 2016? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Utah 2016?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Post Fiend

HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.
Utah 2016?

Is it time to plan a trip? I can get Green ready ifin I can piggy back it out there.

I have been wanting to get over Fixit Pass and Devils Race Track. I'd like to go on out the top and stop at the Wedges Overlook. Then loop down through Buckhorn and out though Black Dragon.

Lots of stuff to see out that way. Buckhorn was the Castle Gate hold up get away route. It has the dino foot print. Black Dragon has the Matt Warner signature and pictographs. We could stop in Green River and they have a few roomin houses and the Crystal Geyser. We could camp at the Geyser or go out to Smith's cabin . Or if that is to much for the first day we could stop at Sego.

Sound good to anyone?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Flip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud of
Morning Jack- Sounds like fun-- Tentative dates?
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Post Fiend

HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.HappyJack has a great reputation on FTE.
No solid dates yet. Spring or Fall would be best for cooler temps. Early April or late September maybe. And a bit more research is needed as they had some wash outs this year in Utah. Not sure what area(s) it effected. Then we have to see how this winter goes and see if there are more.

Butch Cassidy robed the payroll at Castle Gate and had horses staged for the get away all along the route to Robbers Roost. They even cut the telegraph wires. What they didn't count on was the train engineer to put the train that had carried the payroll in reverse and back down to where the telegraph worked. They notified Castle Dale to the SW. A posse was following Butch from Castle Gate. Another posse from Castle Dale headed to Buckhorn to cut Butch off. But Butch and his string of fresh horses was to fast and was out front of both posses. In fact both posses ran into each other and each thought the other was the outlaws. After a bit of lead was thrown they realized the truth. At the south end of Buckhorn one outlaw took the money and head NE around Mexican mountain and is believed to pass buy Smith's cabin on they way to Hole In The Wall. Butch continued south to the safety of Robbers Roost.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Post Fiend

Old 09-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Post Fiend

husker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud of
Sounds like a good trip. I'd sure like to go.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Post Fiend

Old 09-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Post Fiend

K, There is plenty of stuff to do in that area and even if for some reason one or more of those trails are closed. There is plenty of other stuff in the area. Might even visit Moab fer a t-shirt, burger at Wendy's, and maybe ice cream. Course there are some trails down by Moab but primitive camping is very restricted close to the area.

Some other stuff in the area south is Robber's Roost, Poison Spring Canyon, The Flint. We could even go to the Henry's and visit Lonesome Beaver. To the north is 9 mile Canyon.

Just like to get an idea of who all would like to go and if the spring or fall works out best?
Old 09-23-2015, 03:26 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Flip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud ofFlip4ford has much to be proud of
probably fall for me
Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Post Fiend

husker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud ofhusker has much to be proud of
Probably after Sept. 1st would be better for me. What are the weather worries at that time?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Post Fiend

Most of the time weather worries in the fall would be limited to I-70. The earlier in the fall the less chance of snow up on the passes. The later in the fall the greater the chances of snow. Not a big problem going out for us as most times the problem is freezing roadway and a semi getting jack knifed up there. That is cleared up by noon most of the time and we would be going over in the afternoon. On the way back it could slow us down and make us very late getting back. One time in all the years I have been going out that way I rode a storm through the mountain passes and they were in front of me when I made it to Denver. Larry told me to spend the night in Denver but I thought no worries I can be home before midnight. I learned why they have those gates on I-70 out in western KS. I made it in after 6AM the next morning.

The Colorado DOT has a site with road cameras. So you can see the weather up there. Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Late September would be fairly safe. October would be more risky.

My friends in Denver do not like to drive back on Sunday due to heavy traffic back to Denver from the ski slopes.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Post Fiend

So late September? About a year from now? I kin get the dutch ovens ready fer cobbler un pizza. And chili. Biscuits and bacon fer breakfast.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Post Fiend

Sounds like fun.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Post Fiend

Well doggies! I'm all fired up. Haven't been on a long wheelin trip in a coons age. I went un looked up some links fer Green River, UT stuff.

This is a link for the geyser just south of Green River. We can dispersed
(free) camp here. Crystal Geyser | Destination Green River

This is a link for the test site at Green River. Cold War Tourist - Utah Launch Complex - major update coming soon

I could not find a link for the Smith's Cabin NW of Green River. I have pictures and a map with GPS that I can send if anyone would care for the info. Just send me an e-mail. We can dispersed camp there if someone else did not get there first.

This is a link for Swasey's Cabin. The trail head for Eagle Canyon is behind the cabin. This would be near Fixit Pass and Devils Race Track trails. We can dispersed came in this area. Swasey?s Cabin | Destination Green River

This is the 20 minute chicken place in Green River. I usually get a salad but ate the 20 minute chicken once and it was really good. https://local.yahoo.com/info-1994685...nt-green-river

This is a place that folks I know have recommended. I have never eaten there but folks say the steak and meat are awesome. https://local.yahoo.com/info-1994684...rn-green-river

This is a campground in Green River. I have never stayed there but have used the showers. Rates : Shady Acres RV Park and Campground - Green River, Utah

Another campground where I have used the showers but never stayed at. Green River KOA | Camping in Utah | KOA Campgrounds

This is a motel that folks I know have stayed at. I have never used it. Affordable Motel Rooms - Green River, UT | Robbers Roost Motel

Another motel that seems a bit nicer and has a decent price. http://www.super8.com/hotels/utah/gr...hotel-overview

This is a link for Sago, UT. Sego- Utah Ghost Town We usually dispersed camp at the pictographs in Thompson Canyon south of Sago. Thompson Canyon Pictographs | Starbuck's Exploring
Old 10-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Post Fiend

Drove to Denver yesterday to meet with my friends. Told them about the trip. Caveman and Sundance are thinking about it. Sundance has a new 2015 pretty red truck.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
I've showered at the Green River KOA. It didn't take.