Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:02 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
New Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I need help here because I can't see this being a helpful feature, but it's going to be standard on trailer town and max tow from XL on up for 2016. From what I can tell it's just a little **** you rotate on the dash board. I just don't see how this would be more useful than the big **** that has been standard since the Model T trucks called the steering wheel. Thoughts?

"Pro Trailer Backup AssistTM 1 for the 2016 F-150 is segment-first technology that makes the
challenge of backing up a trailer easier than ever.2
Leveraging advanced camera technology, Ford engineers developed the trailer backing
system and tested it for almost a decade. Along the way, 5 patents have been granted and
another 10 are pending.
To operate Pro Trailer Backup Assist, the customer rotates a **** to indicate how much
the system should turn the trailer. Pro Trailer Backup Assist then automatically steers the
truck to turn the trailer the desired amount. The system may limit vehicle speed to enhance
the comfort and control over a variety of road surfaces. The result: less time to back up a trailer
with improved confidence. It even helps trailer-towing experts back a trailer up by reducing
time lost to maneuvering mistakes.
Availability: Order Code 47E. Optional on XL, XLT, LARIAT, KING RANCH,® PLATINUM and
LIMITED. Included in the Trailer Tow and Max. Trailer Tow Packages.
Includes: LED trailer hookup lamp. On XL and XLT it also includes the 4.2" LCD productivity
screen in the instrument cluster. Requires rear view camera on XL and XLT.
"

Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes complete sense to me. It takes a smaller set of skills to play the video game.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 AM
leikos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see it being very useful in certain situations; perhaps less so in others. The difference is that with the ****, you're steering the trailer rather than steering the truck to steer the trailer, if that makes any sense. Trailer newbies will love this - my wife would absolutely love this. Since I'm going to be towing an offroad camper, I have this fear of getting a few miles down a narrow trail, finding the trail blocked, and having to back out. I'd take all the assist Ford can give in that situation.

I'm curious as to how it will work in off camber situations, inclines, etc., where the trailer doesn't move exactly the way the computer predicted it would.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
How do you feel it works? The distance from hitch to axle is different on just about every trailer, as well as the distance past the axle and width too. I can't wrap my head around a technology that allows one just to press a button and handle all that.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM
leikos
Senior User
You have to enter in those measurements for each trailer you want to use, then save each one in the system. There's a sticker that goes on the tongue of the trailer that I guess the camera uses to verify where the trailer is at any given moment. So, to use it, you turn on the system, select the trailer, then use the **** to steer the trailer left or right - the system handles all the counter-steering and you just turn the **** left or right depending on which direction you want the trailer to go. Let go and the trailer re-centers. I believe the system also handles the throttle so you just keep your foot on the brake.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by leikos
You have to enter in those measurements for each trailer you want to use, then save each one in the system. There's a sticker that goes on the tongue of the trailer that I guess the camera uses to verify where the trailer is at any given moment. So, to use it, you turn on the system, select the trailer, then use the **** to steer the trailer left or right - the system handles all the counter-steering and you just turn the **** left or right depending on which direction you want the trailer to go. Let go and the trailer re-centers. I believe the system also handles the throttle so you just keep your foot on the brake.
And how is that better/easier than the steering wheel?!?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:48 PM
leikos
Senior User
You tell us - you're the salesman.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:48 PM
campingpaul
Freshman User
Having witnessed all kinds of stupidity while backing trailers up at boat launches, I am hoping that a few of the people that can't back up start using this feature. I have a 2016 with Max Tow on order, so I will be getting this feature. I am not planning on using it.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:53 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
The difference is that with the ****, you're steering the trailer rather than steering the truck to steer the trailer, if that makes any sense.
Nailed it

Sometimes people that are no longer mere mortals forget that things like backing a trailer is a learned skill.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:42 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can see it being very useful in certain situations; perhaps less so in others. The difference is that with the ****, you're steering the trailer rather than steering the truck to steer the trailer, if that makes any sense. Trailer newbies will love this - my wife would absolutely love this. Since I'm going to be towing an offroad camper, I have this fear of getting a few miles down a narrow trail, finding the trail blocked, and having to back out. I'd take all the assist Ford can give in that situation.

I'm curious as to how it will work in off camber situations, inclines, etc., where the trailer doesn't move exactly the way the computer predicted it would.
Bring a chainsaw. Always.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 PM
leikos
Senior User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Bring a chainsaw. Always.
Agreed. But then there's mud, rocks, tight switchbacks, etc. It's an unlikely scenario, but I have to have something to worry about.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol, gotcha.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:42 AM
DanielB
Freshman User
Backing up longer (16-18' range) is no problem for me. Its those damn short trailers that try to jack knife if you merely look at them strange that get me cussing. I see this being a great benefit with those.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
You tell us - you're the salesman.
That's why I'm asking, cause I'm gonna have to know, and I think it's stupid. But I also am admitting I have no concept on how it works. Is the notion that you look behind you and rotate this like a steering wheel and it reverses the input? Backing a trailer up for noobs isn't a learned skill so much as a practice in patience. I have never gotten any better at backing up a trailer, just faster.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:52 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Frantz
Backing a trailer up for noobs isn't a learned skill so much as a practice in patience. I have never gotten any better at backing up a trailer, just faster.
So you suck just as bad as the first time but now even faster?

Practice is a method of learning. It's a learned skill. I am waaaaaay better now then the first few times.

Quick Reply: New Pro Trailer Backup Assist