1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

F150 98 Stalls when in reverse

Old 09-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Shane Dulemba
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation F150 98 Stalls when in reverse

Hello i have a Ford F150 98 V8 4.6 cylinder Automatic with 203,748 miles on it. It was given to me so I dont realy know alot about its history.....
I am having a few problems with it the first is that I can drive it all over and it runs great it shakes a bit but i assume thats due to old spark plug/wires which I am currently changing I also changed the fuel filter as well.
This brings me to my first problem, while i can drive it in drive fine when i reach the bottom of my drive way, I shift to reverse, turn, and back into a parking spot. While turning in reverse it STALLS! If I put it in park and start it up and then go back to reverse i can finish backing into the parking spot my Problem is Stalls in the same spot everytime and my dad is worried that it will stall in drive while im driving it.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The Intake Air Controller likely is sludged up.
It's on top of the motor under the cover.
It has an electrical plug on it. Two bolts and a hose.
Remove the whole part for cleaning with a spray can cleaner.
There is a sliding pintel in the bore.
Make sure it is free to move.
Good luck.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:43 PM
tcrote5516
Junior User
Only thought is a combination of the misfire your saying you have combined with the load of dropping into reverse while stationary while you are cranking on the steering increasing the load on the pump. Maybe the recipe for a truck that can't hold idle under that much load.

Fix the missfire problem first since you need to do that anyway and see where your at at. You may find that takes care of this too.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Shane Dulemba
New User
Thanks for your the tips I will try this when I get home tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Shane Dulemba
New User
Ok so I cleaned the Iac valve (is just blowing it with compressed air ok ???)
I finished changing the sparkplugs and wires

It still does it but it has improved for example the spedo and headlights dont flicker while in reverse but it does still stall i do have some information that my help though when it stalls the check engine light and the Oil pressure/Engine coolant light comes on, at this point i feel like an idiot for not seeing that light before
well ill check the oil and engine coolant and get back with you guy

Old 09-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Shane, you did not use spray cleaner and check if the air valve was free to move.
Sometimes the IAC cannot be cleaned because there is a small hole inside the metal housing that blocks with carbon and cannot be gotten to with cleaner.
This part controls idle under control of the computer.
It must work correctly to modulate air flow around the throttle plate as idle correction commands are applied.
This must happen for all variations in engine load from A/C, the alternator, power steering load changes, when going into and out of gear and above all for high idle cold starts in low temperatures.
Of course all the dash lights will come on after the engine stalls just like before starting the engine.
With engine 'up to running temperature', what is the idle RPM?
It should be close to 650+/-.
Does it start from cold and keep running?
These questions answer whether the IAC is working properly.
Otherwise an air leak likely has upset the fuel tables and made idle near impossible after the engine is up to operating temperature.
Good luck.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Shane Dulemba
New User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Shane, you did not use spray cleaner and check if the air valve was free to move.
Sometimes the IAC cannot be cleaned because there is a small hole inside the metal housing that blocks with carbon and cannot be gotten to with cleaner.
This part controls idle under control of the computer.
It must work correctly to modulate air flow around the throttle plate as idle correction commands are applied.
This must happen for all variations in engine load from A/C, the alternator, power steering load changes, when going into and out of gear and above all for high idle cold starts in low temperatures.
Of course all the dash lights will come on after the engine stalls just like before starting the engine.
With engine 'up to running temperature', what is the idle RPM?
It should be close to 650+/-.
Does it start from cold and keep running?
These questions answer whether the IAC is working properly.
Otherwise an air leak likely has upset the fuel tables and made idle near impossible after the engine is up to operating temperature.
Good luck.
It does start from cold and keep running...... I dont know how to check rpm without a tachometer .

adding coolant did seem to help some it was pretty low but IAC probably could still use a good cleaning.......

Old 09-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Do this test; with the engine up to full temperature, remove the IAC PLUG.
Does the idle drop or stay the same?
If it drops the IAC is functioning at that time but no guarantee it still dose not stick at some point without a good cleaning.
The coolant level has no control over idle.
Good luck.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Shane Dulemba
New User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Do this test; with the engine up to full temperature, remove the IAC PLUG.
Does the idle drop or stay the same?
If it drops the IAC is functioning at that time but no guarantee it still dose not stick at some point without a good cleaning.
The coolant level has no control over idle.
Good luck.
Ill try this tonight