Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Insalling the fuel cross over

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 PM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Insalling the fuel cross over

Since I've got the turbo and pedestal pulled out due to the O-Ring and EBPV failure, I figured now would be a good time to put in my FRx while I'm waiting on the parts from Riff Raff to do the EBPV delete and replace the O-rings. Got the driver's side done OK but working on the passenger side and OMG, what was International/Ford thinking? I realize it's just supposed to be an irregularly used test port but the access here has surely got to be a joke.

The instructions say to break that plug loose with a pair of vice grips but I can't get enough room in there to close the vise grips and turn them without removing a lot more stuff and well, I don't want to.

So I ordered this instead -
SK Hand Tool 41439 3/8 Inch Drive Female Socket Pipe Plug, 9/32-Inch - - Amazon.com SK Hand Tool 41439 3/8 Inch Drive Female Socket Pipe Plug, 9/32-Inch - - Amazon.com
- hopefully it'll make the job easier. I figure since it'll be a few days before the other parts get here and I can still access the passenger side test port with the turbo back in, there's no point in killing myself trying to do something that a $15 tool may make infinitely easier.

I miss my old 1969 F100 with the inline 6 when I start turning wrenches on new stuff. I don't mind doing the work or even the busted knuckles, it's that the engineers now try to squeeze everything they can into the smallest possible space, leaving no room to get to things when they do break or wear out. I could literally stand in the engine compartment on that F100 in front of and on either side of the inline 6, it was such a pleasure to work on.

I shouldn't complain too much though, the 7.3 is better than the BMW 335 I use as a daily driver. It requires removal of the intake manifold and throttle body to replace the starter. Really? Who thought that made sense?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:52 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Another option is "trial and error" with various small 12-point sockets until you find one which fits tightly.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:56 PM
bcg
Tuned
I tried a few but none of them felt tight enough and I don't want to end up rounding it off. The instructions say that an 8 point 5/16" will work but I already have a 6 point and 12 point 5/16" in both 1/4" and 3/8" drive so I figured if I'm going to buy a new tool, I'll buy something I don't already "have."

Old 09-14-2015, 02:29 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the meantime squirt some PB blaster around the threads, help loosen those critters up. That 8 point socket should do the trick.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:32 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I dropped that dang front fitting a couple times, not fun. Bend a stiff wire into a loose "J" and put the tip in the hole. Hold the other end firmly, drop the fitting over, and tickle the fitting with a wrench till the threads start. And if you're like me and didn't notice, it does not thread in 90* square to the surface of the head as one might expect. It angles over a little towards engine centerline.

Another option is loosen the serp belt and IIRC 4 bolts that hold the AC compressor support. No need to remove just tilt it out of the way. Never tried it but guys here report it allows space for your hands.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I ended up buy a set of Craftsman "splined" sockets, I don't remember which size worked on that plug but they have come in handy several other times on different stuff.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 PM
bcg
Tuned
Those look cool, I didn't know such a thing existed. I put them on my wish list so I'll remember them when I've got more money to spend.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:02 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by bcg
Those look cool, I didn't know such a thing existed. I put them on my wish list so I'll remember them when I've got more money to spend.
hahaha that was my thoughts too when I stumbled across them, they do come in handy

Old 09-15-2015, 07:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Another option is loosen the serp belt and IIRC 4 bolts that hold the AC compressor support. No need to remove just tilt it out of the way. Never tried it but guys here report it allows space for your hands.

It sure does!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:49 AM
bcg
Tuned
The problem for me really was the HPOP oil reservoir, it's in a very inconvenient spot. The socket made all the difference in the world, put it on an extension with a universal adapter and got the plug right out.

Installing the FRx hose on the other hand....it involved some cursing.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Whenever I am working on my vehicles in the garage, the wife always turns on some music in the house and waits for me to come in with a smile. If I come in to "cool off" or wash my hands, she just asks if I need anything. When I come in with a smile, she knows the project was successful and we can go about our business.

How do you like the FRx, would you do it again if you were faced with the same decision?

Old 09-18-2015, 04:52 PM
bcg
Tuned
I haven't been able to run the truck for more than about 5 minutes since putting it in. Once I got everything put back together it became apparent that I also have a turbo failure so I'm waiting on a new cartridge to repair the turbo. Hopefully that's all that's left to fix and I'll get a chance to drive it next week.

It wasn't the worst job I've ever done but access is definitely tight. I'm hoping it'll quiet and smooth my idle some.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Keep us posted on your thoughts. There are a lot of FTE members out there (including myself) that have winter projects lined up that involve an FRx.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Keep us posted on your thoughts. There are a lot of FTE members out there (including myself) that have winter projects lined up that involve an FRx.
I'm a FRx believer

Between that, new injector orings, fuel bowl rebuild with new parker sleeves on the lines, Hutch mod, and HPx, my Excursion has quieted to the point it can barely be distinguished from a gas motor at highway speeds.

My by the ear guess would be 30-50%!

Considering air is the main noise maker, I call that a win

Old 09-20-2015, 11:47 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I'm a FRx believer

Between that, new injector orings, fuel bowl rebuild with new parker sleeves on the lines, Hutch mod, and HPx, my Excursion has quieted to the point it can barely be distinguished from a gas motor at highway speeds.

My by the ear guess would be 30-50%!

Considering air is the main noise maker, I call that a win
Yep, same experience I have had. Been running one for years and love it, as well have installed several for others. Simple, priced right, well engineered and best of all does exactly what you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Insalling the fuel cross over