1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Huge amount of air in Racor after new fuel pump - FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:39 AM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy3j

So, I got the tank drained, then I ran the hose into a bucket 'o-fuel. Initially it looked pretty good, UNTILLLL....... I removed the vacuum cap I put over the shutoff valve stem. Instant bubbles, though not real bad.

Also, I found another major source of my problem. As I was running the truck on the bucket, I was letting the return fuel run out of the outlet fitting on the sump, into a drain pan. I looked closely and noticed a large chunk of plastic trying to poke its head out of the fitting. It was too big too pass through, and was probably blocking half the outlet diameter. Gee, I guess that could have caused a restriction....

Once I dropped the tank, I found more debris in the sump. Including a wadded up ball of conglomerated smaller pieces.
Based on these findings, I don't think I really need to go to the 1/2" line right now, so I'm sticking with the 3/8" to save time and money.Its external, so I can always do that later.
I bet you got all the problems with the debris plugging the line. When ANY piece of debris is in the fuel path you start creating a little Bernoulli's principle action that will wreak havoc on your plans for a well flowing fuel system.

Good luck on the tank strap too.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
one word: noliftdoingitonthedirtsumpmakestanktaller :-( I did use a jack initially, then I realized it was more of a nuisance then anything else. Remember, with that sump, I got the tank completely drained, so it really didn't weigh much. My biggest fight was disconnecting the fill hose from the fill pipe. From the looks of it, it hasn't been removed in many years, if ever. The vent pipe has a rot hole near the end, so I will probably just use a longer hose, and cut off the rotted end of the pipe.

So, I got the tank drained, then I ran the hose into a bucket 'o-fuel. Initially it looked pretty good, UNTILLLL....... I removed the vacuum cap I put over the shutoff valve stem. Instant bubbles, though not real bad. Just enough to confirm that those Balkamp/NAPA valves suck air in at the valve stem. I will be removing both of them. That's a bummer, as I really would have liked to retain shutoff valves, for maintenance. Plus, they weren't cheap. I didn't realize, at the time, that they were available form other sources for much less, so I paid about $17 each at NAPA. They are now scrap brass basically.

Also, I found another major source of my problem. As I was running the truck on the bucket, I was letting the return fuel run out of the outlet fitting on the sump, into a drain pan. I looked closely and noticed a large chunk of plastic trying to poke its head out of the fitting. It was too big too pass through, and was probably blocking half the outlet diameter. Gee, I guess that could have caused a restriction....

Once I dropped the tank, I found more debris in the sump. Including a wadded up ball of conglomerated smaller pieces.
Based on these findings, I don't think I really need to go to the 1/2" line right now, so I'm sticking with the 3/8" to save time and money.Its external, so I can always do that later.

So, the tank is now cleaned out. Today, I am going to try to address some of the rust issues, at least in areas that will be obstructed by the tank later. Also, reattaching the new tank straps will be a challenge. As long as the rain holds off, it should be running by the end of the day.

Amazing how a bunch of "little" stuff can all add up to create near havoc

But it looks like you've really dug into it and sniffed them out. Great job

Hang in there, almost home!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:18 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its fixed! I worked on it until 2am, but its done.
Cleaned the tank out
Did a half-HUTCH - removed the mixing chamber and extended the return line
Removed the shutoff valve on the inlet side of the Racor. I didn't have time to mess with the other side.
Cleaned the bowl of the Racor, and repositioned the o-ring again. I think it was in the right spot to begin with, and I had maybe cross threaded the bowl on initial install. This time it went in right, and is now fully seated.
I also wirewheeled and Por15'd everything rusty that would be hiidden once the tank went back in. That alone took 4-5 hours.
Installed proper, new tank straps, and new stainless bolts.

No air, truck is quieter, and runs better.

Also, fyi, no need to heat the tank ring. I did it last night, and it was cold enough I saw my breath. I lubed it with some bar soap.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:22 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Its fixed! I worked on it until 2am, but its done.
Cleaned the tank out
Did a half-HUTCH - removed the mixing chamber and extended the return line
Removed the shutoff valve on the inlet side of the Racor. I didn't have time to mess with the other side.
Cleaned the bowl of the Racor, and repositioned the o-ring again. I think it was in the right spot to begin with, and I had maybe cross threaded the bowl on initial install. This time it went in right, and is now fully seated.
I also wirewheeled and Por15'd everything rusty that would be hiidden once the tank went back in. That alone took 4-5 hours.
Installed proper, new tank straps, and new stainless bolts.

No air, truck is quieter, and runs better.

Also, fyi, no need to heat the tank ring. I did it last night, and it was cold enough I saw my breath. I lubed it with some bar soap.
Well done!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:05 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Time and sweat well spent! Rock on!

Especially the proper tank straps, that tie down was mucho ghetto.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Great job! Many of us know that agony of frustration... and that almost disbelief that it could be over.

If there's one thing I've learned with these trucks, shooting from the hip doesn't work like we'd hope. It's almost like you have to take the prerequisite OCD 101 class before you can go on to PMS 101.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A great post to lurk and learn.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:53 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I'm betting those valves are made for pressure, not suction. When getting suction, maybe pulling the valve packing/seal away and sucking in air.

Just a guess at this point, though. Glad you got it fixed