Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FNG's 3 Questions re '03 F250 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FNG's 3 Questions re '03 F250 7.3

I recently bought a '03 F250 7.3 extended cab, automatic, 4x4 that has just over 202K mi that seems pretty much stock except for a K&N air filter, a nice stainless steel Fisher XPlow (that goes on Craigslist today) and seems to be programmed with a "Bulldog" (need to check that). It's getting 19mpg around town and has crazy fun acceleration off the line, not smoking tires but awfully sweet ("That's insane" said my 16 yo son as we were were pushed into the seat cushions...). It had some major service recently, including a new oil pan and all fluids changed out.

It has a trio of gauges on the pillar, two are wire in.

The first measures the temp of the turbo output and the second measures the turboburst.

1. I'm trying to learn about the 7.3 - I haven't seen so many acronyms since I was in the USAF - and came across that Powerstrokehelp.com guy. Is he 'that good' or should I go elsewhere and trust my future diesel mechanic? Any recommended sources for a guy that doesnt want to be a mechanic but wants to know enough to prevent problems and have a chance of understanding the mechanic? For eg, the powerstrokehelp dude makes a big deal out of changing the top end oil and adding an additive (which is not the new improved additive he now hawks) - is he right about that or will I prove my ignorance asking my mechanic to do that at my next oil change?

2. Is the exhaust temp from the turbo the same as the EGT, or different enough that I should get an EGT? It seems my eyes should be just about glued to the EGT if I want my engine to outlast me.

3. Any advice unique to maintaining/driving the F250 7.3L, aside from keeping the shiny side up and the rusty side down?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2015, 07:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
<p>welcome to FTE&nbsp;</p><p>first thing to do: GET RID OF THAT &nbsp;K&amp;N FILTER BEFORE IT DOES ANYMORE DAMAGE TO YOUR TURBO AND ENGINE!!!!!</p><p>k&amp;n filters are pure garbage and are about equal to a window screen for keeping stuff out of the intake. to se what i mean, do the &quot; vaseline test&quot;&nbsp; take the air filter off, and apply a generous film of vaseline to the inside of the intake tube. put the filter back on and go for a ride. make sure you hit a dirt road or two.</p><p>then come home and remove the filter and intake tube and see how much crap the filter let through that the vaseline caught. now imagine how much more went through your engine that the vaseline did not catch.</p><p>#1: powerstrokehelp .com guy Bill is a hack. 99% of the garbage he spews is to promote business for his shop and is not needed or just plain stupid.</p><p>trust the answers you get here for your questions, the guys here will not steer you wrong.</p><p>and don't be afraid to ask questions, there is no such thing as a stupid or dumb question. we were all new to these engine at one time or another and had to learn too. some of us had to learn the hard way because there was no forums like FTE to ask for help or info when we got our first diesels.</p><p>#2: yes, exhaust temp is EGT.</p><p>keep the gauge below 1100-1200 degrees and you will have no problems.</p><p>the other gauge is boost, not turbo burst. basically what is it doing is measuring how much boost the turbo is making. boost is how much air PSI the turbo is trying to stuff into the engine</p><p>#3: good fuel from a reputable dealer, good oil, and keep up on filter changes will keep the engine in good shape. a good wash and wax will keep the outside in good shape.</p><p>and don't forget the underside. wash the underside after driving in the winter road salt.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>the tuner is one of those subjects you will get 50 different answers on. most of us are not keen on tuner like the bullydog,or edge products. we prefer chips.</p><p>a&nbsp; tuner plugs into the the OND port and changes the tune in the computer.</p><p>a chip is added to the computer.</p><p>tuners are known to screw up the computer when trying to return to stock faor diagnostic work or inspection and then you have to get the computer reflashed.</p><p>a chip just plugs into the computer and can be turned on and off at will without any problems.</p>

Old 09-12-2015, 07:37 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I knew as soon as I read the OP mention the K &N that someone would jump on that and run, boy some things on here are so predictable. He never said if it was a drop in or cone style. I will not even talk air filters on the diesel side of the FTE.

That being said welcome to the forum. Use the search function and you can find just about anything you will ever need, especially if you are just looking to learn some basic info. Good luck with your new truck.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
(whispering) cone

Old 09-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be here alot as I shake down the brand new second hand rig.

As far as fueling up, are the local stations (Citgo etc) "good fuel from a reputable dealer"??

And to open a kettle of worms, recommendations for a chip for mileage/economy rather than turning my tires into smoke?

Old 09-12-2015, 04:33 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Welcome to the best site for your asking needs.

What they say about reputable fuel dealer is go where you normall see alot of semi trucks and small diesel trucks. Those tanks are being used therefore no contamination in those pump stations as they get replenished more often.
K&N filters are best kept in NA engines even if its a cone type.
6637 donaldson filter is your best choice or buy a tymar. Do a complete tune up on your rig for piece of mind. Tuners, if your impress with what you have just wait till you get custom tunes, then comes the other goodies such as injectors, turbos so on and so forth. Have fun and welcome again.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:51 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
<p>exactly. by reputable fuel dealer i meant one that sells large amounts of fuel, not billy-bobs general store that sells 100 gallons per year that he buys from his cousin jimmy-joe.</p><p>a lot of the small fuel places sell fuel from unknown places. you never know how long it has sat in a tank, or where it came from. a reputable dealer will always get his fuel from the same place and sells a lot of it so it does not sit around.</p><p>K&amp;N filters are a name. whether cone style or drop in. they just let way too much junk past.</p><p>everyone i have suggested doing the vaseline test to has come back withing days thanking me and said they threw the k&amp;n in the garbage.</p><p>just about everyone here will recommend a chip with custom tunes on it over a &quot;canned tune&quot; programer.</p><p>there are many different chip burners, DP, PHP, Tony Wildman, to name a few.</p>

Old 09-12-2015, 07:01 PM
02f300
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,
Welcome abord there are alot of great people on this net willing to help.
Where are you in MAINE I have a place in UPER ENCHANTED near JACKMAN.
TONY

Old 09-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Right by Augusta

Old 09-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave in Maine
...and came across that Powerstrokehelp.com guy. Is he 'that good' or should I go elsewhere and trust my future diesel mechanic?
You're gut serves you well. Bill (he's the PowerstrokeHELPi'mAnIdiot guy) is pretty much universally ridiculed on all the diesel internet forums.

K&N's have a bad rep here, but supposedly it was due to the OEM replacement square filter that didn't seal well against the dust in the OEM filter box. Others have had good service with the cone filters, properly cleaned and oiled.

Stewart

Old 09-13-2015, 10:00 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The other part of using the reputable dealer for fuel and the fact that you want fresh supplies has to do with the seasonal blends, especially for diesel in your neck of the woods because they will usually contain anti-gelling compounds.

Having stated that and with cold weather coming on, you may want to treat your fuel yourself and get yourself some diesel 911 or equivalent just in case you have that rare time that it does gel.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:46 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Welcome to FTE, as someone who just got his first diesel in May of this year i can tell you that this is the place to learn what you need to know. When i first got my 01' 7.3 i knew next to nothing, im no expert, but i have learned alot with the help of all the fellas here. I agree with the advice of getting rid of that K&N and putting a 6637 air filter in. Aside from that, read through the forums and dont be afraid to ask questions.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Is the 6637 from Ford?

Old 09-14-2015, 04:12 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dave in Maine
Is the 6637 from Ford?
No, you can find them at napa or oreilly, last one installed we had to go to an oreilly a few towns over as they dont all have them in stock. If i remember correctly we were able to go on oreillys website and find it in stock at said store. You will need a section of 4" exhaust pipe or pvc with 4" outside diameter to connect it to the existing intake tube. You will also need a large threaded pipe clamp. removal of the stock airbox housing is also necessary. Here is a picture of mine. Just fyi its about a 60 dollar filter, but worth every penny. When i put one on my buddies a few weeks back he couldnt believe how much his performance increased. The turbo sounds better too.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
No, you can find them at napa or oreilly...

...Just fyi its about a 60 dollar filter, but worth every penny.
Or it can be had from Clay at Riffraff for half that price:

Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - Intakes, Intercoolers & Related - Intake Systems & Replacement Filters - 6637 Intake - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Stewart

Quick Reply: FNG's 3 Questions re '03 F250 7.3