6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DieselSite Filter 17 months later

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:42 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieselSite Filter 17 months later

Just before our most recent camping trip I thought it wise to check the Diesel Site filter that's been under the truck for almost a year and a half. Here's what I saw. I contacted Diesel Site and their recommendation was to put silicon or grease on it to prevent any more corrosion. I asked and the lines are not available from Diesel Site. I will need to have new ones fabricated locally.

Kind of disappointing, really. For what the filters cost I expected better quality. Sure, we have salt on the roads here in the winter, but this truck sits most of the time and never goes out in bad weather.

So, be advised, unless you live in Florida, inspect your lines and take action to prevent this...

damage.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your damage is all cosmetic. You should see our hydraulic lines on our plows...That's pretty funny they told you to coat it in silicone hah..Maybe they should make it out of stainless steel!!

Old 09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Wow Dieselsite can't sell you replacement lines. That unit looks terrible.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 AM
JenC
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello Gary -

I was just reading the conversation between you and Bob via email and there must have been confusion on both parts.

Bob suggested finding something locally since you were getting ready to go on a trip and it would most likely save you cost, time, and in agreement when your concern from salt said: "Maybe they have something more durable in your area as this would be common on equipment."

He must not have been aware you were trying to buy them directly from us but possibly thought you were just asking how easy it would be to find replacements.

The lines are very much available from our sales department if you're still in need. We sell the lines separately quite often for people make their own kits, people who booger theirs during install, or whatever reason. I've even sold a set to a guy putting a filter on his boat.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd be covering those lines in whatever rust prevention you use on the rest of the truck. Stainless steel lines for round 2 would be a good investment.

I've got so much rust on the bottom of my new 2015 truck from the factory it isn't funny. It is all cosmetic and they don't use salt on the roads in Alaska. Even though my 2011 was the same and I lived in Florida... And in SOUTH Florida so it never saw freezing temps, much less snow. (And I don't go to the beach or drive in salt water)

Glad to know it was just a mis-communication on DieselSite's part and that they do sell replacement parts.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
I agree, mine do not look good either. The lines themselves are fine, but the fittings are obviously not SS. It is disappointing, to say the least.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
<p>Thanks for clearing up the confusion Jen. &nbsp;</p><p>It's a shame those fittings weren't better protected from the factory, but as Suzuki0702 mentions it's all cosmetic at this point. &nbsp;I'd be spraying them annually with Fluid Film. &nbsp;It's quick, can be washed off if needed, and works great for things like this. &nbsp;</p>

Old 09-14-2015, 08:03 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Ouch! Glad I never added one to my truck. Doesn't seem like a quality piece that will outlast the truck. Looks like a future problem.

Thank you for posting the picture. 1,000 words.

bruce

Old 09-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
<p>&nbsp;I'd be spraying them annually with Fluid Film. &nbsp;It's quick, can be washed off if needed, and works great for things like this. &nbsp;</p>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is the right answer!

To expect any metal to not corrode when presented to moisture as well as corrosive elements like salt is simply wishful thinking....

If you don't protect the metal by coating it with an anti-corrosion agent, it will corrode. Plain and simple...

Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
<p>Well to be fair, if you're of the mind that it would prevent a HPFP problem then it's still a good investment. &nbsp;Better buying a new Dieselsite filter every few years than a HPFP once.&nbsp;</p><p>I've never had a problem with the stock filtration system though. &nbsp;If I get another 6.7 this will not be going on it. &nbsp;</p>

Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is the right answer!

To expect any metal to not corrode when presented to moisture as well as corrosive elements like salt is simply wishful thinking....

If you don't protect the metal by coating it with an anti-corrosion agent, it will corrode. Plain and simple...

There are plenty of materials that are corrosion resistant and chemically compatible with diesel fuel. So having to spray anything to keep this AM filter assembly from the rust bucket while the rest of the factory fuel system doesn't require such activity is unactable especially what this piece costs!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Get your happy butt up to the salt country Troy.... You've not experienced corrosion until you've been up here a few years... Even Stainless Steel is not immune depending upon the grade of the steel.

Also - generally speaking, Stainless Steel is not as stong as normal mild steel or steel alloys. It will also react badly in electrolysis situations (dissimilar metals) just like steel.

An ounce of prevention and all that....

Did anyone else happen to notice the rust and corrosion on the factory Ford bodywork and chassis in the picture?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 AM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If it was me, I'd get some marine grade hoses made. I've used them in off shore boats here in Fl, they will not corrode like that. Maybe look into Marine hard anodizing the aluminum filter block, that will cut down on most of the corrosion there...

Even though that is cosmetic at this time, once the corrosion works its way into the crimp or fitting, it will leak. Not saying this will happen soon, but eventually it will.

How much does this filter cost...?

jmo

Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Get your happy butt up to the salt country Troy.... You've not experienced corrosion until you've been up here a few years... Even Stainless Steel is not immune depending upon the grade of the steel.

Also - generally speaking, Stainless Steel is not as stong as normal mild steel or steel alloys. It will also react badly in electrolysis situations (dissimilar metals) just like steel.

An ounce of prevention and all that....

Did anyone else happen to notice the rust and corrosion on the factory Ford bodywork and chassis in the picture?

Big Foot,
Obviously you haven't spent any time on the Gulf Coast beaches and boat ramps that provide plenty of opportunity for salt exposure.

Again to have materials that hold up to the salt is not trivial!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Big Foot,
Obviously you haven't spent any time on the Gulf Coast beaches and boat ramps that provide plenty of opportunity for salt exposure.

Again to have materials that hold up to the salt is not trivial!
I lived in TX for a dozen years - our son was born there.. We were primarily in the DFW area but have relatives in the Corpus Christy area and spent a lot of time there..
One of the worst rust cases I have even seen was a 67 Camaro that had spent most its life on the beach. The only thing holding that car together were sheetmetal patches and RTV that was to hold the front and rear windscreens in place since the channels were rotted out. The car had never spent a day of its life outside of Texas.

Agreed that corrosion resistance is not trivial at all... Up here in the salt belt, I've seen holes start to develop in cars in under 4 years. Sometimes undercoating helps, sometimes it actually hurts.
I am using Fluid Film on everything now.. It makes it a slimey mess to work on anything under there but at least it is not rusty or corroded..

I don't disagree that DieselStop should provide better quality fittings given the high price of their product. They may simply be ignorant to how things corrode up here in the salt belt..

Quick Reply: DieselSite Filter 17 months later