7.3 powerstroke questions on buying

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
FORD4LYF
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 powerstroke questions on buying

Good morning,
I am new to Diesels and am looking at purchasing either a 7.3 or 6.0 stroker, for work and towing. Are there any specific things on these motors to look out for it will be a 4x4. How many miles are too many as far as life span as I can do the rebuild when needed (dad's a diesel mechanic of 30yrs). But I am in need of specific thing to look out for on these motors that Cummins guys won't know to look out for. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:39 PM
dsquared
Elder User
Old 09-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD4LYF
Good morning,
I am new to Diesels and am looking at purchasing either a 7.3 or 6.0 stroker, for work and towing. Are there any specific things on these motors to look out for it will be a 4x4. How many miles are too many as far as life span as I can do the rebuild when needed (dad's a diesel mechanic of 30yrs). But I am in need of specific thing to look out for on these motors that Cummins guys won't know to look out for. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
You can check this video series out: POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

On the 6.0's ....

1. beware of the 03/04MY 05MY had great improvements with the HPOP, EGR, and Cooling.

2. The "primary" concern with these is the Head Gasket Issue which resulted from insufficient clamping design. An APR Stud Conversion which limits the stretch, increases integrity of the clamping system with new OE Gasket Kit pretty much takes care of that.

3. The Fuel System will require some sort of anti-Stiction lubrication product periodically. The Injectors are far more advanced than the 7.3. While both suffer from Stiction, the 6.0 is about 10x more common. There are several products which limit and, or remove it from the Fuel and Oil Side.... In general the Fuel Side is much more delicate than previous. Water, Stiction, poor fuel, etc.. can all cost you in the long run.

4. Lastly, the VGT will cake with soot and carbon preventing the veins from working properly. A fuel additive and on occasion, "opening it up" "Pedal to the Metal" will help limit it. But, not eliminate it. And, only if the engine is healthy.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 PM
FORD4LYF
New User
Originally Posted by Thomas White
You can check this video series out: POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

On the 6.0's ....

1. beware of the 03/04MY 05MY had great improvements with the HPOP, EGR, and Cooling.

2. The "primary" concern with these is the Head Gasket Issue which resulted from insufficient clamping design. An APR Stud Conversion which limits the stretch, increases integrity of the clamping system with new OE Gasket Kit pretty much takes care of that.

3. The Fuel System will require some sort of anti-Stiction lubrication product periodically. The Injectors are far more advanced than the 7.3. While both suffer from Stiction, the 6.0 is about 10x more common. There are several products which limit and, or remove it from the Fuel and Oil Side.... In general the Fuel Side is much more delicate than previous. Water, Stiction, poor fuel, etc.. can all cost you in the long run.

4. Lastly, the VGT will cake with soot and carbon preventing the veins from working properly. A fuel additive and on occasion, "opening it up" "Pedal to the Metal" will help limit it. But, not eliminate it. And, only if the engine is healthy.
Thank you so much for the info is the 5r100 tranny stronger than the 4r100? How much power can they handle?