My '64 4x4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My '64 4x4

Old 09-03-2015, 12:18 AM
New User

izzo is starting off with a positive reputation.
My '64 4x4

My 64 4x4. Just picked it up a few nights ago. Been into autos a long time, only my 2nd 60s ford truck tho.

Runs, but needs some carb work, tuning and some other odds and ends. I have some issues with it now.

It has a slight miss, but the carb I was told the float is sticking, I haven't investigated yet. Also it needs tuned. The generator light is on. I tried polarizing the gen but the light still comes on. I pulled the top of the regulator off and it looks brand new inside. I can press one of the relay circuits down and the middle one pops on, and I can hear something else when I do that. Like a humming/buzzing noise. Need to investigate it further and get it figured out. The rear tail/brake lights aren't working. Tho I used my multimeter on the little pegs inside the socket and know they are getting power. Guessing the sockets aren't getting a good ground maybe. If I can fix these issues, I can get it road worthy and start driving it.

Anyways, I'm burned out and tired. Works been keeping me busy. I do alignments/brakes for a living and it's been a long few weeks. here's some pictures.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM
New User

golftracerguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's a cool truck and love to see those history notes from the OOs!

We are working on a 64 for my son and, if you get a moment, I would appreciate a couple pictures of the front end, suspension and axle mounting areas. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Senior User

Thinlizzy13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love the look of those old 4x4's. Congrats on your acquisition.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Posting Guru

BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
CONGRATS, IZZO!
Sure looks like a worthy workhorse to me!

Odd how the S/W oil pressure gauge is turned 90* in the mounting bracket..?

Does the Y-block have good compression?

It appears to have been sitting for a while.... I suspect the fuel tank may be a bit rusty - you may need to keep an eye on the fuel filter for crud working its way through.....

I really like the two clothes pins beneath the instrument cluster.... the '60s era zip ties!

In the last photo, what is that towing the boat?????

BarnieTrk
Old 09-05-2015, 12:34 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk View Post
CONGRATS, IZZO!
Sure looks like a worthy workhorse to me!

Odd how the S/W oil pressure gauge is turned 90* in the mounting bracket..?

Does the Y-block have good compression?

It appears to have been sitting for a while.... I suspect the fuel tank may be a bit rusty - you may need to keep an eye on the fuel filter for crud working its way through.....

I really like the two clothes pins beneath the instrument cluster.... the '60s era zip ties!

In the last photo, what is that towing the boat?????

BarnieTrk
It runs ok. Needs carb worked on and tuned.

I'm having wiring problems. I absolutely hate wiring. The cig light came on at random. Had to wiggle the harness to make it go out. Tried plugging in a bulb to the gauge lights and it made a zapping noise. I have power to the rear light sockets but 5 bulbs no light. I even pulled the sockets out and used wires with aligator clips on a bulb. Can't get lights. Wiring issues are very discouraging to me :/

That would be a 66 f100 towing that boat. The truck is for sale. Carson oregon.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE

While we're thinking of it, FTE has seen lots of new slick owners discover the hard way that the hood latch and safety catch assembly isn't always working as advertised after 50+ years.

Take the time to make sure everything is straight, clean lined up and lubed properly. When released, the catch should snap quickly and smartly into the pocket. The hood flying up at highway speed is not fun.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:55 PM
New User

Well I got some of the wiring squared away. Dash lights work. Now to replace them all with LED lights. I need to replace the rubber fuel line from tank to thru the floor and hard line under the cab. It fell apart. I still need to check on some wiring, I don't think the ign switch is wiring in correctly. Will investigate tomorrow. Ran out of light today. Once that's done I will move on to tail lights, get something figured out for that. Need me some lights, yo.

Once that's done, or even during who knows. I will be installing a pertronix kit. May get a rebuilt kit for the carb, tho I still haven't seen it leak. I think it's just the needle seat leaking. as they said it would overflow after running for a while. I think it's not seating 100% so it slowly over fills the bowls and yeah... Coming along, a buddy said he would give me tires monday. he never just gives me ****, even tho I do stuff for him. Kinda sucks. Probably have to polish his quad wheels or something for them. But that's a small price to pay. about 4 hours of work for a set of rims and tires, I'll take it. It's actually a good deal. Anyways, here's some pictures. I'll be doing more tomorrow and take more pictures. then. Till then!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 PM
New User

Not much to report. Haven't bought my carb rebuild kit yet, want to soon. Would love to drive this thing asap!

Picked up some wheels, working on polishing them.

final

Old 09-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Senior User

F-ONE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.F-ONE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry, but the new wheels hurt my eyes.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Posting Guru

BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like a LOT of polishing is in order, but do-able.
Once you have them polished up, I'd suggest at least two coats of a clear protectant be sprayed on them; such as this: Sharkhide aluminum sealer and protectant
I will be anxious to see them done and on your Slick 4X4!

BarnieTrk
Old 09-28-2015, 12:53 AM
New User

I'm only going to polish them this once. After this, just going to spray them with napa brand aluminum brightener. It will keep them clean and bright, just not shiny/polished. They will have a dull look and I'm ok with that. Too much work even with clear coat. I am in the NW by the ocean. Chrome rims rust out within months, and aluminum oxidize badly, even with clear coat they worm out and look bad. So polishing them every few months is in order, or just use that spray once a month and they will look good. Don't get me wrong, if I sent them in to get blasted, super polished and a few coats of clear put on them they would last a while. But soon as a little scratch happened they turn bad quickly. I also thought about plasti-dipping them gunmetal grey, or getting them powder coated. For now, this is free just costing me time so rolling with that.

Just out of curiosity... My wife recently lost her job. Things are super tight in my house. Anyone happen to have a generator and voltage regulator they have laying around and would donate to me to get this thing going? I can pay shipping at least.