1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford dealers are starting to act like Chevy,dodge dealers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:15 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been thinking about replacing one of my f250 trucks so i started researching about trading it in. i found dealers selling same trucks for used for about 22k which trade in value for my truck is 18-19k which i figured.
since i got a good deal on my new dump truck i went back to my dealer and i found a kingranch 250 powerstroke which i really liked, they ran my credit and i was approved for special for interest for 72 months.
he came back with numbers and offered me 9k less then i looked at price on truck which they knocked off 1500 off a 60k truck, i looked at him and said, so you are offering me 9k less so you can make a 11 k proffit off truck then try to sell me a new truck at retail cost! he said let me get my manager so he came and said they was giving me truck at invoice i said no you are not just 1500 off sticker retail price then you insult me me with low ball offer which is way below whole sale not even starting at auction price, then i said we can do this 2 ways, we can do trade my truck for new truck retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale but i will not accept taking something than insane low then buying new on top end.
i left and i went to other dealerships and it was the same thing, and i started thinking they are adapting what dodge and chevy does to people which is borderline illegal and rip. i was thinking about people like me having same stories. it is pretty bad to se what is happening especially when you have a cutomer that can afford a 60 k truck and not blink

Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Try selling your truck yourself...or try buying at a different time when they are having a sale. There might be some promotions coming up this weekend. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:09 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Buy new truck at INVOICE at the least then take off incentives, if you can sell the truck outright or bit the bullet and play the stealership game.

When I bought my 2012 with cash and sitting with salesales person they where not budging on the price. I mentioned to him that my offer was more than fair and he would let a sale get up and walk they said yes, I stood up and started walking. They sold the truck at my offer.

Stealership games suck.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
You went in there all wrong.

You have to negotiate one thing at time.

First, pick out the truck. Negotiate the selling price. If they ask about trades or financing tell them no, just focus on price. Get it in writing.

I got financing arranged ahead of time thru my credit union for less than Fords best offers, so I didn't have to deal with that.

I also didn't have a trade in, but I've always been told to only offer it up last.

AFTER you've got the price of the truck settled.

AFTER you've got financing settled - number of months and interest rate.

I've been told they do a thing called "four square" or something.

They have four categories or squares. Car price, Interest rate/months, trade value (or down payment), and monthly payment.

They will get one number that is important to you where you want it, then jack all the other's around to get what they want out of the deal.

If you play one thing at a time it makes it harder for them to adjust the other numbers once you got it in writing.

I've also been told (and did this when I just bought my 2015) to go to the Fleet Sales Manager. He's not as concerned about padding his pocket as a commissioned salesperson.

This approach worked for me.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:22 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I usually go to car max and get a price they would buy my truck at, then I go to a local used truck dealer for the same. Dealers don't make much money on new car sales so they look to make money on used car sales and selling extras.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:03 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
i made no mistakes, i own a fleet of trucks and heavy equipment so i know how to deal very well, the point i am making is that the attitude sees to be shifting to how dodge and chevy does things, the chevy dealerships has the worst type of attitude which makes no sense and dodge is behind them along ford starting to follow, it seems they want to **** you off right off the bat which makes no sense! if i ran my company like that i would not last long and if i had a employee act like that the would be fired on the spot!
the truth be told i will give a example on a 60 k truck, the invoice is nonsense first and foremost, if a truck has a sticker at 60k then the dealership has a floor plan on truck at 48k plus a bonus for each truck sold! so lets say for example if i bought this truck at 60k and traded my 250 in the dealership would make 23k profit! which i do not down anybody about making money, that is what i do but it has to be fair market value which in this case fair market should not be over 10-12k profit! which salesman should make $1500 off deal and rest go to dealership! They need to get off the high horse before they stumble

Old 08-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one likes the game but it is what it is - and moaning about it isn't getting you what you desire.

When buying or selling anything it is only worth what both parties are willing to accept. If their price is too high it will out of necessity eventually come down. If your offer is too low someone else will pay more and you'll be standing in the background.

Your options: reconsider what it's worth to you, SHOP ELSEWHERE, or do without; the same things I would do with your company if I felt your price quotes didn't meet what I wanted.
AND, if all the companies have similar numbers then realize that perhaps your info is incorrect and you need to rethink things, or once again, do without.

Long ago Son of a dealer (RIP Dad).

Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 AM
simonwim
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ginther
You went in there all wrong.

You have to negotiate one thing at time.

First, pick out the truck. Negotiate the selling price. If they ask about trades or financing tell them no, just focus on price. Get it in writing.

I got financing arranged ahead of time thru my credit union for less than Fords best offers, so I didn't have to deal with that.

I also didn't have a trade in, but I've always been told to only offer it up last.

AFTER you've got the price of the truck settled.

AFTER you've got financing settled - number of months and interest rate.

I've been told they do a thing called "four square" or something.

They have four categories or squares. Car price, Interest rate/months, trade value (or down payment), and monthly payment.

They will get one number that is important to you where you want it, then jack all the other's around to get what they want out of the deal.

If you play one thing at a time it makes it harder for them to adjust the other numbers once you got it in writing.

I've also been told (and did this when I just bought my 2015) to go to the Fleet Sales Manager. He's not as concerned about padding his pocket as a commissioned salesperson.

This approach worked for me.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
ironman1977
Senior User
i am not moaning about anything and you need to stop trying to be a dick about this!
All i am saying is the attitude is shifting at ford, i have bought fords for my company for 20 years and personal longer so the point i am making and trying to discuss is the fact there is a there seems to be a change going on at ford that is moving in the direction of chevy and dodge. when i do buy a new 250 it will be fair on both ends and not backwards like some of these dealers are trying to pull off

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
I stood up and started walking. They sold the truck at my offer. Stealership games suck.
Have read this more than once.. Have to be willing to walk out, and really mean it, and be willing to really do it. Probably more than once.

The problem is these guys in sales do this kind of stuff all day, every day 365 days a year. They know all the tricks and have every single one practiced. Regular folks don't have a chance.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Hammerz71
New User

And what's really bad is GM and Dodge are adopting Fords shorter warranty periods and policies of doing everything possible to get out of warranty repairs.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not a "Ford attitude" it's a dealership one. There is more information online than what even an above average car shopper can turn into something useful. Some states have very loose advertising laws, or allow dealerships to hide some pretty big fees in the back. If you get a rockin deal on your truck and pay a $699 doc fee, the local guy in your own state that has only a $120 doc fee and had to sell the truck for about $500 more really was the better option. There truly are too many variables to do apples to apples in 99% of cases. Either way, dealerships do have to make money on cars, and with people expecting them below cost (yes there is back end money, but its not as much as most people think) they have to try to make it up elsewhere. With customers generally not participating in the exchange of information, it's pretty reasonable to ask full sticker and lowball on the trade. The first objection is the most important. That doesn't mean you the customer have to give up after the first objection is overcome, but at the end of the day it is the big picture that matters. The strategy of parachuting the trade really just wastes time. You should just work within the process of the dealership you're at that you like. If you fight the process then you can almost be guaranteed both a bad taste and bad deal. If you follow the process, yes they will start out making all the money, but all we really want is for you to say yes. Focus on saying yes to the overall deal you want and you can be pretty sure if it's at all reasonable then you'll leave very happy, and in less time.

The dealership does make money on financing as they are selling business to the banks. Some states allow for pretty unchecked amounts, others are much more regulated. I think it can be smart to get approved ahead of time but consider this... let the dealership try to beat the rate with a local bank. If they do or match it, then they are going to be able to make a little bit from the bank. If they know you aren't financing, then they know they can't make any back end off you, so why in the world would you expect to get a better deal this way? Even if you do end up with your own bank, why not try and see if you can improve your position? Further, with Ford financing you normally get more money. Currently its either $0 with no rebate, or $1500 at 5.99% ish for SD. That's a cruddy rate (unless its commercial, then it's not too bad). But, after 90 days you can refinance with your own bank, or pay cash, and keep the extra money from the rebate. I think Ford expects people to not bother, but it is the way to maximize your savings.

I work in Commercial Department, so I would say for these trucks you are more likely to get straight to the point. While I enjoy spending a little time in the morning on the forums and checking out the market perceptions, by the afternoon, I don't have time to spend 2 hours negotiating.

If you got this far, the most important thing to remember is to say yes. Say yes to a deal that you would honestly be happy with even if it's not something the dealership can do. Once they know you have a serious offer, they will be much quicker to make something happen. Keep your wits about you, but don't break the process path. If you really don't like how the dealership works, find one you do. Even better, find a salesperson that you can build a relationship with. We are people believe it or not.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What's a "doc fee"?

Aren't documents part of doing business anyway? How about toilet paper, donuts and coffee? Is that a dedicated line item?

Plus, in the age of computers and email, there isn't any necessity for stacks of paper anyway.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What's a "doc fee"?

Aren't documents part of doing business anyway? How about toilet paper, donuts and coffee? Is that a dedicated line item?

Plus, in the age of computers and email, there isn't any necessity for stacks of paper anyway.
BLUF: Paper or digital, there is someone entering data, that person deserves a paycheck.

When customers stop calling and saying "I'm only coming in if you give me the lowest price" then I'm sure we can absorb these cost. As I mentioned, and is well known, we get "holdback" from Ford for the units. Above a poster suggested accepting no less than invoice - rebates. So if that is taken we start right away eating up holdback. Aside from building upkeep, you have to pay interest on the vehicles, fuel for test drives and delivery, prepping the car for showing and delivery, as well as cover insurance for lot damage, pay sales people and managers, and all the little business expenses. Then you have to make something for profit, it is a business after all. Now if we add paying for the document stuff in the back that has a real cost. We have three hard working ladies that take care of all the rebate paperwork, title paperwork and all that stuff. In Pa there is a $134 cap. Just south of me I commonly see $699. I've also seen places line item "prep fees" and all sorts of other things. Some states don't require the manufacturers destination fee to be included in advertised prices. So someone can (and must to be competitive) honestly tell a customer our price is $X and when you show up that add all the fees, but great news! The car is still just $X. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a good deal, but acting like any fees are completely unrealistic or entirely the dealerships fault is a bit silly to. How much do most people pay in fees each month for their cell phone on top of the actual "plan", and there no one is doing anything....

Old 09-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ironman1977
i have been thinking about replacing one of my f250 trucks so i started researching about trading it in. i found dealers selling same trucks for used for about 22k which trade in value for my truck is 18-19k which i figured.
since i got a good deal on my new dump truck i went back to my dealer and i found a kingranch 250 powerstroke which i really liked, they ran my credit and i was approved for special for interest for 72 months.
he came back with numbers and offered me 9k less then i looked at price on truck which they knocked off 1500 off a 60k truck, i looked at him and said, so you are offering me 9k less so you can make a 11 k proffit off truck then try to sell me a new truck at retail cost! he said let me get my manager so he came and said they was giving me truck at invoice i said no you are not just 1500 off sticker retail price then you insult me me with low ball offer which is way below whole sale not even starting at auction price, then i said we can do this 2 ways, we can do trade my truck for new truck retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale but i will not accept taking something than insane low then buying new on top end.
i left and i went to other dealerships and it was the same thing, and i started thinking they are adapting what dodge and chevy does to people which is borderline illegal and rip. i was thinking about people like me having same stories. it is pretty bad to se what is happening especially when you have a cutomer that can afford a 60 k truck and not blink

Your implying there was a time when they didn't do that? What you describe is industry standard.

I was offered $450 for a 95 silverado, exactly 1/2 wholesale price. I sold the truck for $3000 to the first person who stopped and looked at it.

Your never going to get a "deal" from the dealership. They are going to try and cut a fat hog on both ends.

Sell your used truck private party is the only way your gonna get close to a fair deal.

Quick Reply: Ford dealers are starting to act like Chevy,dodge dealers