Coolant Dribbles From Beneath Radiator Cap - 2000 Explorer - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Reload this Page >

Coolant Dribbles From Beneath Radiator Cap - 2000 Explorer

Notices

Old 08-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Norrick
New User
Norrick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Coolant Dribbles From Beneath Radiator Cap - 2000 Explorer

So the wife comes pulling into the driveway yesterday and I notice a steady dribble of coolant under the front of the engine.

There are ao apparant cracks or leaks. I followed the leak trail right back up to the radiator cap. I've never heard of a radiator cap letting coolant out before. Weird.

Is this a symptom of something like a stuck thermostat or a bad pump? Or is it just a bad radiator cap? I'm not sure what to think.

Old 08-02-2003, 06:06 PM
HomerWinzlow
Postmaster
HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

It could be a bad seal on the cap, but if you have a 4.0 OHC they were plagued with bad thermostats and your engine may be overheating. Of course just a look at the guage can tell you that if the coolant isnt too low. The thermostat and gasget used to be separate items and ran about 45.00 at the dealer but they have drastically reduced the price of the 2 stage thermostat to about 20.00 with gasget in the box.
If that is the problem make sure you fish out all the pieces if it has come apart on you,lest a piece or two ends up in the water pump housing..

Old 08-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Norrick
New User
Norrick is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've got the 6-liter.

I replaced the radiator cap. The old cap had a tear in the rubber gasket. I'm not sure if that's enough to let fluid out, but a new cap was so cheap there was noexcuse not to replace it.

No more leaks, although I don't know if the new cap was the fix or if it just happened to stop at the same time I got the new cap; it actually stopped leaking BEFORE I got the new cap, so I'm not sure what to think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.