Anyone know the dimensions for the Hub seal installer for 05+ - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyone know the dimensions for the Hub seal installer for 05+

Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Anyone know the dimensions for the Hub seal installer for 05+

I am looking for the dimensions on the hub seal installer for 05 up.

This tool won't work for the 05 and up years.
Lisle Corporation

Also the DIY tool here >>> Ford Super Duty Knuckle Seal Tool - AKA OTC 6695 | Superdutypsd.com

Won't do it either. The tool that is needed has a recess on the face
and a larger hole for the stub axel to fit into.

This is from the OTC catalog showing the 3 tools.
The first one is the for 1998 ~ 2004
The second one is the 2005 + and the one I need
The last one is for the F450 and F550

If I know the dimensions I may be able to make something of at least not
push the seal in too deep and keep it square when I set it.

Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
Postmaster

Per4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to all
I made mine of a piece of PCV pipe.....worked like a charm
Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per4mance View Post
I made mine of a piece of PCV pipe.....worked like a charm
What size and sch was it?
Any photos of it?

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Posting Guru

truckrider814 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went to the pluming section of lowes and got a 3in pvc sleeve took it slow and tapped around it and the seal went in like butter(with lube ofcourse) Just make sure your axle is straight, I boogered up the first one before i realized I had to put a socket underneath the u-joint to keep it straight.(I didn't bother to replace the dust seal i was in a hurry)

I found that the axle does go in the hole of the floor flange but not the pipe so im gonna get someone to weld a 1-1/2in pipe to the floor flange and should be good to go. still a hell of alot better than spending $150 on a tool you only use once in a blue moon.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to all
or use TRT30 from Advance Auto and save 30% if you prefer the actual tool. Paid like $56 for mine, shipped to the door. The seal cost almost $60 and if you bugger one up, would have paid the cost of the tool.... just my take on it.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Senior User

Carolina Rig has a good reputation on FTE.Carolina Rig has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
I am looking for the dimensions on the hub seal installer for 05 up.

If I know the dimensions I may be able to make something of at least not
push the seal in too deep and keep it square when I set it.

Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

I have 6697 at the house. I will take the key measurements when I get home this afternoon.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:50 PM
Posting Guru

dannyboy950 has a very good reputation on FTE.dannyboy950 has a very good reputation on FTE.dannyboy950 has a very good reputation on FTE.dannyboy950 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Good deal, I was gonna suggest maybe a rental tool place and take your measurements and return the tool. Not shure they even rent those tho.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Senior User

Carolina Rig has a good reputation on FTE.Carolina Rig has a good reputation on FTE.

Sean - hope this helps. sorry it's a hodge podge of metric and english units, but I suppose our trucks are too.
let me know if you need another dim.
I think when you're using it to press the seal into the knuckle, the spline shaft fits into the hollow bore, which is 2" dia. and chamfered; There's a shoulder approx about .935" depth, and the bore diameter at the shoulder is 1.75" which you can kinda see in the last picture
Old 08-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Senior User

bthr22 has a good reputation on FTE.bthr22 has a good reputation on FTE.
I tried the pvc, but couldn't get it to seat straight. I ended up using my bench vise to incrementally seat the seal. Tighten slightly, rotate. Tighten a little, rotate again. Keep going until the seal is at the correct depth.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Rig View Post

Sean - hope this helps. sorry it's a hodge podge of metric and english units, but I suppose our trucks are too.
I think when you're using it to press the seal into the knuckle, the spline shaft fits into the hollow bore, which is 2" dia. and chamfered; There's a shoulder approx about .935" depth, and the bore diameter at the shoulder is 1.75" which you can kinda see in the last picture
Mixed measurements aren't a problem.
Thank You for taking the time to do this.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 AM
Postmaster

87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
If you have new seals and it's already apart, reverse engineer it and make your own tool.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Well now that I have the dimensions I should be able to make
something that will do a passable job. I did take a risk and used
my 3X pneumatic rivet gun and a flush face driver at very low pressure
to put the seal in place and then again to install it into the knuckle.
Worked well. Nut having the correct tool to do the job will make it less
of a risk of mucking up a seal.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
Old 09-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Posting Legend

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Rig View Post

Reps sent. Great stuff.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Reps sent. Great stuff.

I also have a solid model of the installer (in .dwg or .step format) if anyone needs it.

Just send me a message.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
New User

rickl11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can I get that solid model? dwg would be awesome!