1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 Bump Back To Life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for good measure here is a picture of my 2012 R1 that got stolen R.I.P. (bad people suck!!! ) and the blue and silver is my new 2015 R1 monster!!! Thats all the postings of the bikes. Just had to share

Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Early 1969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that bike looks sick!! nice truck too!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Early 1969
that bike looks sick!! nice truck too!
Thank you sir ..One day when it's ready the truck will be hauling it around.. More pictures will come then

Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Wow I see what you mean by the spaghetti under the dash... jese... hey, my truck was born is San Jose too, but not with as cool of a history as traveling the nation. Looking forward to the build and I'm very jealous of the bike man, I have a little side fund saving up for one myself

Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM
quinletc
Senior User
Originally Posted by CrossPlainCrazy
Here is a picture I have of the engine and thermostat. I circled what i thought is the sending unit.

Not where mine was located, but yes, that appears to be the temp sending unit. Since yours sits up higher (mine went into the top of the block), you shouldn't have to drain as much coolant. You just want the level of the coolant to be lower than where you're about to open a hole in the system.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 AM
quinletc
Senior User
Wiring diagram

Click to expand the photo.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by FALLN_69F100
Wow I see what you mean by the spaghetti under the dash... jese... hey, my truck was born is San Jose too, but not with as cool of a history as traveling the nation. Looking forward to the build and I'm very jealous of the bike man, I have a little side fund saving up for one myself
Thank you very much manzz!! Work hard save up and you can get what you want. Just takes time

Originally Posted by quinletc
Not where mine was located, but yes, that appears to be the temp sending unit. Since yours sits up higher (mine went into the top of the block), you shouldn't have to drain as much coolant. You just want the level of the coolant to be lower than where you're about to open a hole in the system.
So I will take a guess that i don't have the wire that goes to the gauge anymore or its tucked away somewhere?

Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by quinletc
Click to expand the photo.

That looks simple to figure out

Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Well here is a better picture of whats under the dash that really has me a little worried that the truck will burst into flames and that's why I disconnect the battery every time i park the truck right now. I got brave enough to flip the switches last night and they both did nothing so I have a feeling like a lot of things on the truck that they don't do anything anymore and he disconnected what ever if was at some point. Whats really sketchy to me it the white thing that I put a arrow over!!! If anyone can tell me what that is I would greatly appreciate it!!!

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVISE EVERYONE!!!! Keep it coming

Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good God!!!! That is the first thing you should do!!! There are a lot of bare naked wires under there.
The white thing is a power block ( I believe ). The 12 gauge wire (big un) may be coming from the battery, so be careful.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
Good God!!!! That is the first thing you should do!!! There are a lot of bare naked wires under there.
The white thing is a power block ( I believe ). The 12 gauge wire (big un) may be coming from the battery, so be careful.
I say that every time I get in it lol.. With the battery unplugged I have tried to trace the wires, but it's always dark when I get out of work and home and makes it hard. I have a buddy helping me out this weekend. The good ol pull on a wire until they see it moving somewhere and follow it from there

Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
OMG.. wire nuts!! Hack Alert!... Hack Alert!... Hack Alert!... Hack Alert!...

Sheez... I suggest you take the time to unhack that wiring. I'd remove them all and start over after figuring out if any are actually needed.

All high current circuits, like auxiliary lighting, should get a relay.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
OMG.. wire nuts!! Hack Alert!... Hack Alert!... Hack Alert!... Hack Alert!...

Sheez... I suggest you take the time to unhack that wiring. I'd remove them all and start over after figuring out if any are actually needed.

All high current circuits, like auxiliary lighting, should get a relay.
Yea gramps defiantly was a hack with his electrical.. I want to get rid of everything he has hooked up that shouldn't be there and replace the wires I am sure he has spliced and cut into with new wires. This will be my quiet relax pass time until I get aggravated with one wire feeding a million things

Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM
quinletc
Senior User
So I will take a guess that i don't have the wire that goes to the gauge anymore or its tucked away somewhere?
No, there is just a single wire, which appears to be in the photo.

The sending unit appears to be non-stock, as is the location, but I doubt it matters. Just get the part number off the one that's there and order another one.

Or, see if there is a port in the top of the block that has a plain bolt in it, and go back to stock. I can imagine why someone would move the sending unit, the stock location is kinda hard to get to. With the engine installed and all put together, there is very little clearance in front of the distributor to get a socket down onto the sending unit.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:14 PM
quinletc
Senior User
That looks simple to figure out
Ignoring for the moment all the extra wiring you have, it's not nearly as difficult as it looks. Once you view the photo full-size (even better to print it), it's pretty straightforward. Just match the colors.

The "aftermarket" wiring in your truck probably makes it a little more complicated, but hopefully those are all add-on's and the stock wires are all still there.

Quick Reply: 1970 Bump Back To Life!!!