Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snap ring on T-case

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 07:19 AM
mike90sc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snap ring on T-case

I can't seem to get the snap ring off of the rear output shaft. I am being careful so that I do not damage the gear that drives the speedo. I have broken loos all of the torx bolts and this is the last part before I can remove the back half of the t-case cover. I have never worked on a t-case before, so I am just trying to be careful. I also was wondering if there is a major difference between the blue RTV silicone and the black RTV silicone. I can't seem to find the black kind. Is this a Ford only part? The other thing I was wondering is if there anywhere I can locate the pin that holds the speedo cable into the t-case (I broke the one that came out), and where is the best place to look for a replacement heat shiled for the rear cat. Ford wants to sell me a whole new cat converter....kaching!! Thanks for your help.

For those of you who may not have seen earlier posts, My truck is a 90 F150 5.0 V8, AOD, 1356 Manual T-case.

Mike B.:-staun

Old 03-01-2002, 11:10 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Snap ring on T-case

It takes a good pair of snap ring pliers . Just because you have to reach in there its hard to gain enough leverage to remove the snap ring using the short handle pliers , Get a pair of longer snap ring pliers . Permatex & a few other companies sell the Black Rtv . You can even find it at the Wal Market . Ford also sells it , its the same as the Permatex™ Brand but more expensive . I beleive the black works better on aluminum than the blue stuff . Plus you wont need a lot , A bead half the width of the case mating surfaces that also goes around the bolt holes is sufficient . One other thing , when you pull the case halves apart a spring will likely fall out , It mounts on a pin next to the output shaft , Its pretty obvious where it should be , but I thought Id mention it just in case you didnt notice where it came from . Also have a lot at the fluid tube , it has a small screen filter on the end of it , makes sure its clean , sometimes old Rtv can partially clog it up . Once its back together , let the Rtv dry for an hr or so before you add the Dexron Atf .

Old 03-01-2002, 11:15 AM
mike90sc
Freshman User
Snap ring on T-case

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can locate a longer pair of snap ring pliers. It is a tradition that I buy a new tool everytime I fix the truck! What concenrs me as that the rear cat lost its heat shield (not sure when, I have only had the truck since the beginning of the year), and I am not sure if it is just old age that made the t-case leak, or did the cat converter contribute. Anyways, I am going to try and locate a heat shield soon.

Mike B.

Old 03-01-2002, 02:15 PM
GREASYROD
Junior User
Snap ring on T-case