Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Fuel Pump Troubleshooting (intermittantly dies)

Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM
cokeman
Senior User
cokeman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting document, thanks

Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 AM
cokeman
Senior User
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
One concern in all this though is: what made that relay go? Maybe the aren't using continuous duty relays so they just dies after this kind of continuous use. Or is the fuel pump really on it's way out and putting resistance in the circuit that causes the relay to overheat? Either way, the relay has to be addressed, but it will suck to handle this only to burn up another one because the pump is acting up.
An update to all this in case someone else has the same problems. The new external relay is still in place and working correctly. However, the last few weeks, the truck wouldn't start or would die shortly after starting like it was starving for fuel. I did not have a pressure gauge handy, but it had all the symptoms of a failing fuel pump and when it did run, there was a miss at idle. I replaced the fuel pump yesterday and all seems well right now. Starts fine and idle is smooth again. I'll keep monitoring that though.

So, if you do find that you need to replace the relay as I describe in the earlier posts, be mindful of what I quoted above. I am betting that when the fuel pump starts to fail that it causes that relay to overheat and fail as well. So you might replace one only to later need to do the other fix. Just FYI.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
... I will take mine apart and verify that the fuel pump relay is in fact burnt up or the solder connection is bad. If so, and I'm sure it will be, then my decision will be: replace that onboard relay with another or just bypass that altogether and wire in a generic external relay that would be easier to get to and replace if it dies again. Both options have positives. ...
One concern in all this though is: what made that relay go? Maybe the aren't using continuous duty relays so they just dies after this kind of continuous use. ....
The fuel pump in our 2002 6.8L 110K is still working well.
The design decision to bury the fuel pump relay in the fuse panel is just lame.
Our OEM fuel pump measures .8 ohm so it is drawing 15 amps thru the OEM 20 amp relay.
There is another option that should prolong the life of the OEM fuel pump relay.
I tapped into the 2 wires at the inertia switch and now have the OEM fuel pump relay output trigger a new external 40 amp relay to run the fuel pump.
The new 40 amp relay trigger only needs .2 amp from the OEM fuel pump relay.
This reduces the OEM fuel pump relay circuit current load significantly.
A new battery tap line is required.
The new 40 amp relay is bolted to the dash support beam to the right of the glove box.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 AM
VIPER831
New User
VIPER831 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just did this fix on my 2004 F250. This is the only thread I could find that listed which wires and plugs go to the relay. I wanted to say thank you and add some pictures to help anyone else that needs to bypass the built in relay. Truck runs great again.

How's how my install went:

Relay 30 (yellow wire on relay) - 30 amp inline fuse to main power on fuse block.

Relay 87 (blue wire on relay) - c270a connector (pin 22 green/yellow stripe) cut and connect non-plug side to relay 87

Relay 85 (white wire on relay, black on the other end. I didn't have any white wire to extend it) - c270a connector (pin 4 dark green/yellow stripe) Splice into wire, leave original wire intact.

Relay 86 (red wire on relay) - c270a connector (pin 10 light blue/orange stripe) cut and connect to non-plug side of wire.

Remove ground bolt on the right side inside fuse panel opening and mount relay.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:45 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by VIPER831 View Post
I just did this fix on my 2004 F250. This is the only thread I could find that listed which wires and plugs go to the relay. I wanted to say thank you and add some pictures to help anyone else that needs to bypass the built in relay. Truck runs great again.
This is fantastic---very clear & concise, images help tremendously needless to say.

Thanks for adding this---it might be a good post to include in the Tech Folder here.

Thanks so much, reps sent!

Old 05-12-2019, 10:39 AM
cokeman
Senior User
Thanks for adding these. Those are the pics I should have taken when I originally did this. Makes this process so much easier to explain.

Since I am here, here's an update: Still have the truck and it is running strong with no fuel issues. I'll probably be doing this same kind of fix on a couple of the other circuits that use those embedded relays and are starting to act up.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:11 PM
VIPER831
New User
VIPER831 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys! I wanted to share since I couldn't find all this information anywhere else. Hopefully make someone else's life easier. I was researching for days before I found all the info I needed.

Here is a pic of where I mounted the relay. Nice and easy if it ever needed changed.