Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny and Engine Weirdness after ATF drain and fill

Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM
RTrud
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny and Engine Weirdness after ATF drain and fill

2000 X V10 4WD... 178K. Truck was not well maintained for most of it's existence. Drained both the TC and Drain pain and replaced the oil filter. Tranny oil looked like crude and a lot of tiny specs of metal - it shimmered in the sun... needless to say - I'm pretty sure it had never been changed.

Now - issues since I've gotten it done... Tranny has been slipping... I figured that I may not have filled it enough and after adding a few quarts, it seems to have stopped. Slipping was initially just when going from a stop.

Now it's having a problem where the engine dies when I shift from one position to another... For instance - from Park to Reverse, the engine RPMs drop as the clutch engages - but they drop from about 900 RPM down to about 500. And 50/50 chance the engine dies. Going from Park to Drive, the same thing but maybe drops to about 700 RPMs. Tried it in 2nd and 1st gear. Has happened in both. I've tried shifting to OD first before going to 2nd to 1st or vice versa and seems to behave better.

Any ideas what's going on? Should I flash the ECU and have it relearn the shift points? Did I overfill? Between the TC and Drain Pan - about 16 qts came out. I've been checking the dipstick - no frothing or bubbles. When running and in park - it actually shows low.

Seems to drive fine once it's on the road. The engine cutting off when it's put into gear is really unexpected.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:46 PM
RTrud
Junior User
Another thing, too... My reverse lights have gotten dim. I replaced the TRS a few months ago... the lights were coming one very bright for about the first 2 weeks... now they come on very dim... I wonder if the TRS is at fault.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by RTrud
Any ideas what's going on?
Yes, I know exactly what's going on.
Should I flash the ECU and have it relearn the shift points?
??????? Reflash the ECU? How would you do that? This computer isn't capable of learning ANYTHING, so it certainly can't relearn the shift points. Whatever that means.
Did I overfill?
No, you didn't overfill. Do you know how I know that? Read on.
When running and in park - it actually shows low.
IT'S LOW ON FLUID!!!! That's what it means when it shows low on the dipstick. Add enough fluid to get the level in the middle of the crosshatch area and your problem will be gone.
Seems to drive fine once it's on the road. The engine cutting off when it's put into gear is really unexpected.
I totally expect that behavior when the transmission is low on fluid, such as yours is.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 PM
RTrud
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Yes, I know exactly what's going on.

??????? Reflash the ECU? How would you do that? This computer isn't capable of learning ANYTHING, so it certainly can't relearn the shift points. Whatever that means.

No, you didn't overfill. Do you know how I know that? Read on.
IT'S LOW ON FLUID!!!! That's what it means when it shows low on the dipstick. Add enough fluid to get the level in the middle of the crosshatch area and your problem will be gone.

I totally expect that behavior when the transmission is low on fluid, such as yours is.

Thanks for the breakdown - it was very helpful.. I've already put in 17 quarts. It's not leaking... that seems like a lot to be putting in there for just a drain and fill... But I'm new to the X so maybe that's low. My understanding is that these symptoms could also point to an overfill.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:22 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Now that's tech support !

Awesome having you here Mark

Thank you for bestowing your knowledge on us.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
The system holds about 18 quarts, so 17 isn't out of line. I have never seen an over filled transmission read low on the dipstick. I can't see how that would happen.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had this happen when I changed fluid in my expedition. Just add more and it will be just fine. I think mine was like 2 quarts low after the fluid change.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you even drive it when the dipstick shows low????

Hope you used the correct fluid too.....

Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 AM
RTrud
Junior User
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Why would you even drive it when the dipstick shows low????

Hope you used the correct fluid too.....
The level was actually HIGH when I drove off. I guess I did the process of checking the fluid level... I wasn't a total idiot - I did use the right fluid.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^
Yes mine showed high as well, but after driving it for a while and a couple of heat cycles the truck started shutting off at stop signs and lights. Checked the dipstick again and it needed more fluid.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It needs to reach a certain temperature for the correct reading. When it's cold it should read lower I think. Rowing it thru some gears and let it idle for a bit. Use a scanner to read the fluid temperature. I think the temp to measure it at is around 150 ish ?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM
RTrud
Junior User
Appreciate all the replies.... I was following the put back in what you take out mantra that's repeated on a lot of posts about transmission fluid drain/flush and fill... I added another 2 quarts and the problems disappeared. I guess the trans oil level was much lower than I realized before I drained and filled. Hadn't had any issues prior but knew based on the history - it hadn't been changed since new... confirmed when I drained the TC.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I wasn't a total idiot - I did use the right fluid.
No, it's not that we think you are, it's just the info out there can sometimes confuse a person, or maybe a person doesn't know that an "all purpose" trans fluid really isn't.

When we have threads like this, when the fluid isn't posted by the OP, it's common to ask.

Stewart

Old 08-27-2015, 06:30 AM
RTrud
Junior User
RGR... I used Mercon V. Problem was low fluid... as previously stated - I made the wrong assumption that replacing the fluid taken out with the same amount of new fluid was good to go... It wasn't. Looks like the level was already low to begin with... now that it's topped off, it drives a lot better and shifts smooth.