1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Panel Restore (R)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is definitely more affordable. Never saw that kit before. I think I'm going to go with a u steer electric kit. They make a universal kit and one to fit Ididit columns. Ive been thinking about using the ford A/C compressor as well. Maybe just have some trouble finding fittings for it to mate up with the rest of the VA kit. But I'm sure there is something out there.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:07 AM
fbb1951
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backdraft Parts - CONTROLS PACK - 5.0L 4V TI-VCT MANUAL TRANSMISSION Here is another Power Steering kit for the Coyote engine.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by c91x
Like I stated HP Tuners can disable PATS. Which means the stock ECU controls everything so there is no HP tuners ECU/harness.
Evidently, you are correct, but it just happened. I read thru about 8 pages of posts full of tecnobabble and "are we there yet, Daddy?" posts spanning nearly a year, thru 8/15 and there was still no definite answer or any "It's done" announcement in the posts, or on their website so I messaged HP and asked. They answered that yes, the can now defeat PATS on the OEM ECU and it will still control the automatic tranny. I then wrote back asking just what was needed, the costs, and if this was something an average person without a strong automotive electronics background could accomplish in their home shop? I am still waiting on a response.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:52 PM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
Evidently, you are correct, but it just happened. I read thru about 8 pages of posts full of tecnobabble and "are we there yet, Daddy?" posts spanning nearly a year, thru 8/15 and there was still no definite answer or any "It's done" announcement in the posts, or on their website so I messaged HP and asked. They answered that yes, the can now defeat PATS on the OEM ECU and it will still control the automatic tranny. I then wrote back asking just what was needed, the costs, and if this was something an average person without a strong automotive electronics background could accomplish in their home shop? I am still waiting on a response.
Unlike some I don't post unless I know what I'm talking.

I am stoked for junkyard coyote, 6r80 swaps. Don't think you'll see many LS swapped fords anymore. Now back to the OP thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by c91x
I'm sure you probably have done your research but I see AX giving bad info so I'll chime in. HP can disable PATS which means you could use the factory ECU to control a 6R80. I've heard on forums that LUND racing can do it as well but don't have any non-internet knowledge if its true. That 6R80 is massive though and i'm sure would require a huge tunnel so i think the 4R might be the better choice but it'd still be cool to have a 6 speed auto in a old truck.

And I'm really liking the progress on your truck.
Excuse me mr. High and Mighty! How exactly is relaying what someone actually did to get a Coyote take out running in their car "giving bad information"??? Are you saying he did not do it that way, it is not running and driving, or he doesn't know what he is talking about? He did his install more than 6 months before HP ever had their break thru, using what was available at the time he did it. He would not lie about what he did, and certainly did not do it the "hard way" just to spend more time and money than needed. He thrives on the latest and even develops future technology, he is the head of R&D at one of the world's best racing engine shop, and co-crew chief on the winingest, record holding, 2 time national champion, and current NHRA national points leader Pro Mod! His technology developments are on that car and many more as far away as Sweden, Great Britain, Germany and Australia. But unfortunately he is not a soothsayer capable of divining what others may develop in the future. He spends his time building, not sitting around trolling the internet looking to disparage others attempting to help others. He is driving a Coyote, not just "jonesing for"... one on the internet.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:14 PM
William Tunnell
Junior User
Easy fellow - let's all just enjoy this F1 panel build. Looks great by the way!

Yall can start a coyote thread and work out the kinks there. No need to hijack this one.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 AM
fbb1951
Senior User
Since I now own a 4R75W, that's what I'll use with the Coyote.

Yesterday was spent blasting the inner fender panels. Then hammering out all the folds and dents to make them fit. I seem to have a vehicle that was wrecked in the past. The front clip was probably from a '52. At least the hood is a '52. The frame is stamped F1H1CHXXXX So it's a '51 F1 originally with a 6 cyl engine made in Chicago

Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 AM
c91x
Senior User
Originally Posted by fbb1951
Since I now own a 4R75W, that's what I'll use with the Coyote.
[/I]
Which controller are you going with on your 4R? I just looked up Loa to see if you were close to me or not. Definitely not lol your pretty far south

Old 10-14-2015, 11:22 PM
fbb1951
Senior User
I am leaning towards the Baumann Quick 4 controller, USShift.com

C91x, where are you located?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
The Panel is looking good.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:13 PM
fbb1951
Senior User

Coyote motor is here! 2015 with 186 miles.

2010 4R75W, Heavy duty rebuild.

Does anyone know if the F150 flexplate used for the 6R80 Ford trans, will fit the 4R75W?

POR 15 primer on the running boards. I never could blast off all the traces of rust. I will use truck bed liner as a finish coat.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice! Perfect time to enjoy some BEvERageS and admire .

I can't answer your question with first hand knowledge. But in this link these guys install a 4R75W to Coyote. Bullet point #3 makes me believe it will work. Ford 5.0L Ti-VCT Engine. They don't mention changing it.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:00 AM
c91x
Senior User
Originally Posted by fbb1951
I am leaning towards the Baumann Quick 4 controller, USShift.com

C91x, where are you located?
I have the quick 1 and have no complaints. I talked with the owner over an hour on two different days to figure out a downshift problem I was having and he was very helpful and it ended up being something i would have never thought of. Had to do with line pressure at idle and wasn't the fault of the controller but a weak spring.

I'm located in Morgan

Old 10-18-2015, 01:12 PM
fbb1951
Senior User

Engine and trans together, sans torque converter. For test fitting.

Test fit into frame.

Test fit with inner fender panels. I have since removed the truck exhaust manifolds and put on a set of Mustang GT stock exhaust manifolds. A better fit and have the O2 sensor bungs. I am having problems getting the engine low enough in the front. The oil filter housing hits the PS hydraulic lines. Going to look at options on a remote oil filter, or re-doing the PS lines with lower bends. As it is the trans yoke angle is 5 to 6 degrees and going to cause driveline phasing problems.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:25 PM
fbb1951
Senior User

Engine and trans together, sans torque converter.

Test fitting into the frame. I have since removed the truck exhaust manifolds and put on Mustang GT exhaust manifolds. They are lower and already have the O2 sensor bungs. A better fit.

Test fit with the inner fender panels. I need to get the front of the engine lower, but the oil filter housing is hitting on the PS hydraulic lines. I may need to redo the lines with different bends, or look into a remote oil filter setup. As it is the trans yoke angle is 6 degrees. Going to be driveline phasing problems if I don't lower the front of the engine.

Quick Reply: 1951 F1 Panel Restore (R)