1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Panel Restore (R)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:37 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
I opted to go without a spare on my 49. When was the last time you needed a spare? We have cell phones that work on most roads and flatbeds for hire. I also have different wheel bolt spacing, Jag/chevy on the front and 9" Ford on the rear.
If I take a long trip I could carry a Jag spare wheel with an adapter that is Ford to Jag/chevy.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 AM
cstempert
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
good luck on the Coyote with auto! If/when you figure it out and have it running and driving there are a whole lot of people including pro builders that will want to know how.
AXracer....suppose the complexity in adapting theses new computer controlled engines/drivetrain is incidental or in line with the recent legislation that was pushed for that would make it illegal to modify new vehicle for performance gain... Which was supported by all three domestic manufacturers btw

Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM
fbb1951
Senior User
I bought a 2015 F150 Coyote engine with 187 miles on it. It was an IIHS test vehicle. Crashed on the left headlight, outside the frame rail, while the engine was not running. I got the complete pullout, but without the 6R80 trans. I am going with a 4R70W or 4R75W trans and a Quick 4 trans controller. The 6R80 trans looked like a problem I was never going to solve.

I've about got the frame finished and ready for paint. Front and rear coil overs done and the 9" rear rebuilt. I'm waiting on the fuel tank. I ordered one from Tanks Inc. and it's not available to ship until mid Oct. It's a 22 gal Mustang EFI ready tank with internal tray. I'm hoping to figure a way to do the fuel fill in the rear curved section below the cargo doors. Not inside the cabin.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:52 PM
fbb1951
Senior User

New axles with 5 X 4.5" studs to match the front end. Discs with e-brake. Now ready for paint.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cstempert
AXracer....suppose the complexity in adapting theses new computer controlled engines/drivetrain is incidental or in line with the recent legislation that was pushed for that would make it illegal to modify new vehicle for performance gain... Which was supported by all three domestic manufacturers btw
The big issues are several: with legislation being pushed by the insurance cos. To install electronics that prevents theft that can't be defeated with an ECU swap or chip replacement, and chop shops by making the parts useless if removed from a vehicle. This is also supported by the manufacturers because it gives them a monopoly on replacement parts and servicing pushing out the aftermarket parts manufacturers, parts houses and independent repair shops. The vehicles are getting more autonomous in operation and more complex "safety" and performance (mileage and emissions) features. The manufacturers don't want hackers to be able to modify the control software for fear of liability issues and reliability blackeyes, and do you think VW is the only manufacturer that slips in secret programming that can create marketing selling points in test situations? The VW code was found by hackers looking for ways to boost the power. You don't think that shook up the manufacturers?
I was talking to my friend Mike Janis's crew chief on his Pro mod, Kevin at the Carolina nationals last weekend because I knew Kevin had built a Factory Five 33 coupe with 4.6 3V and a remanufactured body 64 Mustang with a coyote 5.0 that are both running about what he did about the electronics especially on the Coyote. He was tellingme that he had to go to Ford racing and buy their 1700.00 engine swap harness and ECU to bypass the PATS, he couldn't find any aftermarket source that had sucessfully bypassed it and not even Ford offered an controller for the automatic that came with the engine so he ended up converting to an aftermarket internal shifter T56, which required a different bellhousing, clutch, etc. He said the tranny conversion cost more than the Coyote engine and FRP harness.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:27 AM
cstempert
Tuned
Originally Posted by AXracer
The big issues are several: with legislation being pushed by the insurance cos. To install electronics that prevents theft that can't be defeated with an ECU swap or chip replacement, and chop shops by making the parts useless if removed from a vehicle. This is also supported by the manufacturers because it gives them a monopoly on replacement parts and servicing pushing out the aftermarket parts manufacturers, parts houses and independent repair shops. The vehicles are getting more autonomous in operation and more complex "safety" and performance (mileage and emissions) features. The manufacturers don't want hackers to be able to modify the control software for fear of liability issues and reliability blackeyes, and do you think VW is the only manufacturer that slips in secret programming that can create marketing selling points in test situations? The VW code was found by hackers looking for ways to boost the power. You don't think that shook up the manufacturers? I was talking to my friend Mike Janis's crew chief on his Pro mod, Kevin at the Carolina nationals last weekend because I knew Kevin had built a Factory Five 33 coupe with 4.6 3V and a remanufactured body 64 Mustang with a coyote 5.0 that are both running about what he did about the electronics especially on the Coyote. He was tellingme that he had to go to Ford racing and buy their 1700.00 engine swap harness and ECU to bypass the PATS, he couldn't find any aftermarket source that had sucessfully bypassed it and not even Ford offered an controller for the automatic that came with the engine so he ended up converting to an aftermarket internal shifter T56, which required a different bellhousing, clutch, etc. He said the tranny conversion cost more than the Coyote engine and FRP harness.

Like most anything today, gotta pay if you want to play... I'll stick with carburetors

Old 10-01-2015, 08:55 AM
fbb1951
Senior User

Etching primer.

Priming the small parts.

Spraying the finish color.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
beautiful job on beautiful truck

Old 10-04-2015, 03:22 PM
fbb1951
Senior User

Frame painting is complete and the final assembly of the TCI suspension and other parts. Front custom coilovers, 5 x 4.5 disc brakes and power steering rack.

TCI custom 4 link rear with coilovers. Dutchman axles 5 X 4.5 with disc brakes.

8" power brake booster for disc/disc.

Home made battery box. I need to find some 5 X 4.5 rims to make this frame a roller and get it off of the paint buckets. The 5.0 Coyote engine and 4R75W trans. will be here this week.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:12 AM
fbb1951
Senior User
I picked up the rebuilt 4R75W trans, yesterday and the 5.0 Coyote engine, should arrive today. Excited, pics to follow.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fbb1951
I picked up the rebuilt 4R75W trans, yesterday and the 5.0 Coyote engine, should arrive today. Excited, pics to follow.
I'm sure you probably have done your research but I see AX giving bad info so I'll chime in. HP can disable PATS which means you could use the factory ECU to control a 6R80. I've heard on forums that LUND racing can do it as well but don't have any non-internet knowledge if its true. That 6R80 is massive though and i'm sure would require a huge tunnel so i think the 4R might be the better choice but it'd still be cool to have a 6 speed auto in a old truck.

And I'm really liking the progress on your truck.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:45 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I am only giving the info I have gathered off the internet and personally talked to a very knowledgeable mechanic who has installed a late model Coyote and auto in his own car and has it running. Who is HP? Has anyone actually purchased one of their harness/ecus and has it working with any automatic without using a separate controller? I've seen a lot of "we're working on it", and "should be ready soon" and "I read it on the internet" claims. If there is actual hands on verifiable positive experiences I'd love to learn about them, the details of parts used, the costs involved, etc. so I can pass on that update.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I stated HP Tuners can disable PATS. Which means the stock ECU controls everything so there is no HP tuners ECU/harness.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fbb1951
That's always a great day! Frame looks real nice.

*edit* I see your running a P/S rack. Are you going to use the Vintage Air Front Runner for P/S and A/C?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 PM
fbb1951
Senior User
Nicholas+, I am looking at the KRC front end kits Ford Crate Engine Kits - Complete Engine Kits I have the air conditioning compressor already on the engine. This is a lot cheaper way to go. Just add the PS pump.

Quick Reply: 1951 F1 Panel Restore (R)