Sponsored by: Moser

REV Tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
REV Tonneau cover

I purchased a REV hard folding tonneau cover from a Ford dealer online in October of 2014. This is the Ford accessory item that clearly stated 2 year warranty. The cover was made wrong and leaked real bad in 2 spots,you could clearly see daylight through the hinges. My local dealer was able to replace it, after several trips they convinced BAK industries it was defective.
The second cover doesn't look as good, but more importantly it leaks a lot worse. The aluminum panels don't appear to be glued in to the hinge pieces correctly. Let me be clear this is not the seals leaking, it's where the panels are glued in, and not minor leaks, the water pours in. At this point BAK told the dealer they don't warranty it to be water tight end of subject. The dealer told me they can't help me any farther, and this was the reason that they don't sell the cover at there dealership.
I now have a useless $850 cover, and wile I expected that a little water would come in, I felt the bed would be somewhat usable. With this I can't leave my tools or anything in there. Has anybody had any luck with Ford accessory warranty? Can Crystal help? Thanks.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:05 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Did you read a product description of the cover before you made the purchase? I'm just wondering how they marketed the cover to make you more willing to spend the money.

Is the dealer willing to refund your money or at least a portion of it? If the cover doesn't look good and doesn't repel at least the majority of the rain, then what good is it?

Old 08-21-2015, 08:44 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportscape
I purchased a REV hard folding tonneau cover from a Ford dealer online in October of 2014. This is the Ford accessory item that clearly stated 2 year warranty. The cover was made wrong and leaked real bad in 2 spots,you could clearly see daylight through the hinges. My local dealer was able to replace it, after several trips they convinced BAK industries it was defective.
The second cover doesn't look as good, but more importantly it leaks a lot worse. The aluminum panels don't appear to be glued in to the hinge pieces correctly. Let me be clear this is not the seals leaking, it's where the panels are glued in, and not minor leaks, the water pours in...
Hi Sportscape,

This falls outside of the scope that I'm permitted to assist with; I'd recommend continuing to work with the manufacturer of the cover. You may also want to consult with the parts manager at the dealership to see if they'd be willing to work with you on the cost of a replacement.

Crystal

Old 08-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Sportscape,

This falls outside of the scope that I'm permitted to assist with; I'd recommend continuing to work with the manufacturer of the cover. You may also want to consult with the parts manager at the dealership to see if they'd be willing to work with you on the cost of a replacement.

Crystal
Unfortunately the manufacturer (BAC industries) refuses to talk to customers that purchased the REV Ford accessory cover. They say Ford is responsible for the warranty, and not politely I might add. My Ford dealer contacted BAC who told them they don't care if it leaks that's not part of the warranty. The Ford dealer is done with them, and not willing to replace it on their dime, and I don't blame them.
I was hoping that there was a way to escalate the claim because I have a defective part that nobody is willing to replace.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
tseekins, yes I read the description before I purchased it. Actually I did a lot of research including online reviews of this type of cover, most were favorable.
I also assumed a 2 year warranty that is offered by Ford would be the easiest way to get a repair if one was ever needed. I have a video of how bad it leaks, but I don't know how to attach it.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So here's the thing, no folding cover will ever be water proof as the designs yield to too many opportunists for water intrusion. I've had two different soft rollers on two trucks and most recently went up to a Bak F1 which I love. However, it took a small amount of DIY and some silicone to pretty much get rid of any noticeable leaks.

As you've stated, Bak produces the Rev for Ford. I'd be happy to walk you through what needs to be sealed up in order to prevent water intrusion...it won't take you but about a half hour once you recognize the spots.

Just let me know, happy to assist.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
Hi Mc, I understand not being 100% water tight and that's not what I expected. What I have is not a small leak at the seals or tailgate, some people even say to plug the drain holes. The leaks in mine are coming from where the aluminum panes go into the U channel (at the hinges). It appears they are glued or sealed together, but on mine I can see the gaps in the sealer, allowing water to run through.
I have thought of using clear silicone sealer and trying to make a thin bead over the affected panels. I don't think it could ever look right or seal as good as a factory seal should. This cover also bows in, and I haven't seen that in any others. This leaves the water to puddle right over the leak on the back 2 panels.
After saying all of that if you have helpful advice on how to fix the leaks I would love to hear it. Ford said if I seal it it would void the warranty but apparently the warranty is only worth the paper that it is printed on any way.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:41 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Can you send me a private message with some pics of your hinges? Or just post em here. I'd love to see what can be done. I capped the ends of each drain rail and sealed each panel where the frame and panel meet. The panels float in each frame a bit and can leak in that manner.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Can you send me a private message with some pics of your hinges? Or just post em here. I'd love to see what can be done. I capped the ends of each drain rail and sealed each panel where the frame and panel meet. The panels float in each frame a bit and can leak in that manner.
I'd love to see the pics of the cover and where the trouble spots are.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
I will try to get some pictures today. Is there a way I can attach a video to this post?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:01 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Yep, you just need to use a host like Photobucket or Youtube.

Originally Posted by tseekins
I'd love to see the pics of the cover and where the trouble spots are.
Tim the Bak products are an interesting design. They sit above two channels inside the bedrails. The panels of the cover move water side to side to the channels clamped to the bedrails. The channels funnel water towards to drain lines at the cab end of the bed.
What I quickly found out when I did my bike rack addition is that the underside of the panel needs to be sealed moreso than the top. Water will get in each panel, to an extent, with an un-molested cover. I introduced 9 more points of water entry and discovered that the panels would leak from the perimeter where the frame and panel meet...on the underside of the cover.

Here is a picture of my cover, taken from the tailgate, looking down into the channel with the cover closed. You'll see how the panel overlaps into the channel and there's a gasket that the panel rests on helping keep water out of the bed.

Name:  80FEC2F9-81E6-4924-BD21-0693D79D4F2C.jpg
Views: 2890
Size:  159.6 KB

Design issue #1...the open tailgate end. Likely not an issue on most trucks that have factory rake, but my truck (any many others) is leveled. I took a piece of plastic flashing and siliconed it to the open end so that it's now capped off.

So when the cover is working as designed, each panel should run the water to the left or right, gather in the channel and then run the water down to the drain lines. Here's a pic of the lines that I've run through my Bedrug for minimal bed intrusion.

Name:  EC7BB997-899A-4A6E-B5B7-DA732F3DA85C.jpg
Views: 2800
Size:  354.6 KB

What I've done is take a small amount of silicone caulk to the seams on the underside of each panels. Fore and aft and left to right. This was good peace of mind for me to further prevent water intrusion on trips, etc. A little bit of silicone goes a long way in keeping the wife happy when her luggage is bone dry.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass

This was the hinge on the 1st cover, that eventually got replaced.

This is the puddles on cover #2. It bows to the center of every panel.

This is the area that leaks the worst. This is dripping straight down through the U channel.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
So what's happened is that your gasket in the hinges has slid to one side and needs to come back to center. That's why you see that gap on the one edge near the seal that hits the top of the bedrails when closed.

I'm still stumped about the panels bowing, as mine surely do not, even with the bikes mounted atop the cover.

Name:  F4C83120-28B7-4933-A41A-8C866A5EE0B0.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  268.8 KB

Your last pic is a touch on the blurry side and I cannot make out where the leak originates. Can you crawl up inside the closed cover and take a picture of where the leak is?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
The picture of the hinge, was the 1st cover, the dealer replaced it because the rubber tore when they where trying to stretch it. That cover fit nicer, had a better finish and worked great except that one spot.
The bowing of the cover, along with other things that I can't get to show up in a picture are why I am so disappointed now. The seams where the panels go in the U channel have like a dry white line.I think the sealer was just wrong from the factory, maybe even the panels were assembled upside down. Unfortunately BAC won't even talk to me so I'm stuck with this.The Ford accessory guy agreed it's bad, but they won't eat the cost of a second cover.
I will try to get a better picture, or upload the video when I get a chance.
By the way that's a nice setup you have with the Bikes.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass

Quick Reply: REV Tonneau cover