6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:26 PM
jonesuh
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feel your pain. Same thing this year. Got to altitude in Co. 1st week of August starting a 5 week trip Went to dealer in Montrose (3 years in a row) they did a "new update " and a regen ( no charge). Had a couple of regens without trouble. THEN check engine light came on by now I'm in Brigham City UT. There they replaced the "whole system" on warranty. No problems since went to Banff then Glacier NP. I'm now in Wyoming roughly 1500 miles later all appears well I did stop at another dealer on an unrelated issue ( coolant check). Told them my history of issues tech said too bad I couldn't just disable the damn think When it does go thu a regen it doesn't go to a "complete cycle" only down to about 15% full

If I have any more issues I'll post here

Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Homebrewer29
New User
Thanks for sharing. Time to save up for a an off-road out of country use only delete for my emissions.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:31 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Drewd,

I have early 2015. Just finished 12k mile trip, 95% with 16k 5er in tow. Just passed 50k miles. About 4k miles was up and down between Idaho, Montana, UT, AZ, NM, and a bit of CO. A lot at 6-8k feet, a bit at 10k feet.

Zero problems except my transmission downshifting from 6 to 5 with loud bang. 5 to 4 is smooth.

Also have the % screen installed and monitor temps with TorqPro. Almost every regen started at 450-490 miles since previous regen. However, it never got down below 45% full, but reached 45% like clockwork.

Had transmission worked on in NH a few weeks ago. Re flash with the anti-jackhammer flash. First regen lasted the full 30 minutes (just like all of my previous ones) but got down to only 75% full. 200 miles later full again and regen started. This time I was sure to keep the rpm's above 2200 rpm's, using manual downshift to 5th or 4th. 30 minutes later I was down to 45%. 500 miles after I was only up to 90% full when regen started. Using same 2200 rim technique, 30 minutes later I was down to 30%. Note these since flash were on East coast, 2k feet max.

When you changed the paper air filter did you change the black foam filter beneath it? I had zero indicator suggesting need, but did replace both and clean out bugs at 35k. Yes a bit of black about 3/4 inch into the paper.

PS, still have harsh downshift 6 to 5..

Old 07-07-2017, 12:44 PM
jdcass
New User
anybody still having this issue. I just had this happen to me. All conditions sound very similar to everyone else. 2016 f250 with 20,000 miles pulling 12k fiver.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:22 PM
jonesuh
Freshman User
I had my "system replaced last year at the beginning of a trip in the mountain---did not have a any problems on that trip---leaving Monday for a month hitting the elevation when I have had the problem 3 separate times on Tuesday---will give you an update then

Old 07-07-2017, 03:14 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
39,000 miles with some high country towing of my 10K fiver and none of this, but did have the odd Drive to Clean message at 90% DPF Full with "Clean Complete" at the end a few weeks ago. I wonder if some of you took note of the locking out of 6th gear or keeping RPMs at 2000-2200 which I have done at times. I often lock out 6th when a regen starts.
I did my first manual regen with the Edge CTS yesterday as I have a tow trip tomorrow and the regen began a mile from the house. I don't know if FORScan or Torque Pro have that option, but it beats running to the dealer every time you have the problem. I also use Archoil AR6200 with every tank which is supposed to reduce soot as well as Opti-Lube Summer Plus to boost cetane. I don't know if these are the answer, but I've been running without issue under similar circumstances for over 2 years.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:24 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
39,000 miles with some high country towing of my 10K fiver and none of this, but did have the odd Drive to Clean message at 90% DPF Full with "Clean Complete" at the end a few weeks ago. I wonder if some of you took note of the locking out of 6th gear or keeping RPMs at 2000-2200 which I have done at times. I often lock out 6th when a regen starts.
I did my first manual regen with the Edge CTS yesterday as I have a tow trip tomorrow and the regen began a mile from the house. I don't know if FORScan or Torque Pro have that option, but it beats running to the dealer every time you have the problem. I also use Archoil AR6200 with every tank which is supposed to reduce soot as well as Opti-Lube Summer Plus to boost cetane. I don't know if these are the answer, but I've been running without issue under similar circumstances for over 2 years.

I also use Archoil fuel and oil additive. You use Opti-Lube at the same time?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:32 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ssunit1
I also use Archoil fuel and oil additive. You use Opti-Lube at the same time?
Yes. Archoil said there is no conflict, but no benefit either. I quit using Opti-Lube for a couple of tanks and fuel mileage fell off so I started using it again. They work on improving combustion in different ways as AR6200 is not a cetane booster, but a "combustion catalyst." Opti-Lube Summer Plus is the least expensive fuel additive as you only use 1-2 oz per 26 gallon tank. Some use Opti-Lube XPD but it is both more expensive per volume, but requires 3-4 times as much. Its big plus is anti-gel, but anti-gel is only needed below 10 degrees. I bought a 6 pack of the Opti-Lube Winter instead and, after 2 winters, still have half of it and I live in Vermont.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:46 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Ok, since, aside from one additional spring on each side of the rear you have the same truck as I do down to the AUH and SB, what sort of mileage increase did you see with the Opti-Lube.
I live in S. Florida, winter is not really a issue, so I'll be looking at the summer blend.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Ok, since, aside from one additional spring on each side of the rear you have the same truck as I do down to the AUH and SB, what sort of mileage increase did you see with the Opti-Lube.
I live in S. Florida, winter is not really a issue, so I'll be looking at the summer blend.
Honestly, I've never run without it. I got the Opti-Lube before I picked up my truck and it went in with my 1st fill up. It's been about a year and a half since I quit the OL for a couple of tanks while towing across country and I think it dropped about 1 mpg when I quit so I assume that it accounted for about 1 mpg. I had tested the AR6200 while commuting and picked up around .8 while driving the same 72 mile trip daily. I was getting 20-21 on my commute with little traffic combined with secondary rural roads and interstate, kind of a perfect environment. Now with occasional short trips and no commuting, I am in the 17s and around 12 towing at 62 mph. At 65 mph, it drops to 11. I was using AR9100 for a while but couldn't measure any benefit.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 AM
351wpwr
New User
Any Update Same issue

I have the same issue towing at high altitude in Colorado where I live. The 2015 f350 is at the dealer and they are just throwing parts at it.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 351wpwr
I have the same issue towing at high altitude in Colorado where I live. The 2015 f350 is at the dealer and they are just throwing parts at it.
There is a TSB out that might cover this issue. I have not seen a complete copy of the TSB.

TSB 17-0021

03/17/17 Transmission and Drivetrain NHTSA ID: 10095623
TSB ID: TSB 17-0021

Some 2015-2016 f-super duty pickup vehicles equipped with a 6.7l engine may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (mil) with dtcs p2002, p2201, p2459, p2463 and/or p246c. reprogram the powertrain control module (pcm) to the late... (as far as the info goes on the website but think it is saying to update to the latest version of IDS software)

DTC P2002 - Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold
DTC P2201 - NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
DTC P2459 - Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency
DTC P2463 - not a code MY2015 6.7L
DTC P246C - Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction – Forced Limited Power

Old 11-13-2017, 11:46 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had this issue Saturday. Launched my boat Friday Night at 11:30. Truck Idled a few minutes then. Went fishing in the morning (caught a bunch of Shakers aka Blackmouth aka King Salmon. Nothing legal to keep) got back at 1pm. Jump in the truck stop at the store for lunch before work. Truck was stumbling a bit and no power hit. There was no warnings yet till I made one more stop at West Marine. Got in to run to work 10 miles by interstate when the Particulate Filter Full Service Now light came on. Couple of minutes later drive to clean light comes on. Then the Regen light came on and stayed on 2 miles from work. I pull in and park then go to work. 11pm get off and try to drive to clean. Check engine light came on. Tells me to drive to clean. I did. I saw the Fuel Mileage drop to 10mpg for 12 minutes, fuel rose up to around 16mph, check engine light stays on, The Particulate Filter if full light comes back and then drive to clean light, then regen light comes back and stays on. I'm 10mins from home its 12 midnight. Go home swap out the truck for the car and head back to the boat. Day two of the fishing Derby with a 05:30 wake up and head out at 6 to fish. (still only small 21" to 8" fish caught a 6.4lb fish won the derby. Week before brought 9 legal fish plus one native to the boat. My biggest was 6.94lbs and a 11.5lb fish won the derby) I had a friend with a Dodge 3500 pull my boat home the 15 miles.

Called Saturday to my local Ford Dealer, Schedule is full earliest is next Tuesday for service. Today I go and drop it off to see if it can be worked in to the Schedule. My truck is a 2015 DRW with 43,350 miles or so with only the Ford Sync being messed up in the past. (Had to buy a new Droid Phone to fix that issue. Ford does not support a older Droid Max phone on the 2015's)

Went looking for a new DRW 2017's but there was none. Salesman wants to sell me one. Told him I want a Super Lariat without a sunroof. Told him we can talk after my truck is fixed and back with me.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by goatram
truck is fixed and back with me.
What was the issue? Sensor?

Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 AM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
What was the issue? Sensor?
Still waiting word from the service dept.

The last comment was a push for the sales dept to work on the service dept to get the truck in and diagnosed.

Quick Reply: Diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now