6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:39 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jonesuh
crystal I spoke to customer service & now have a case #...
Thanks for responding, jonesuh. Send over your case number in a PM; I'd like to dig a bit deeper.

Crystal

Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Gatedreamer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resolution?

Originally Posted by jonesuh
crystal I spoke to customer service & now have a case #
I do not have a current warning light---it's almost like magic when I drove back from Colorado---just before Clovis NM (on the Texas state Line) the truck went thru a regen cycle that lasted approx. 45 minutes( high way driving 60mph towing) got the sign regen drive complete all warnings disappeared (this after having a dealer service and a manual regen by the dealership (that I had to pay for & haven't been reimbursed for the rent car ) and less than a thousand miles on the vehicle

I sure hope this can be fixed but I have to say---I really don't have much confidence (after the post I have seen hear and what the service tech in Colorado told me as well as a couple of conservations I had in Colorado with other 2015 owners

any help appreciated
Just left the dealer in Layton Utah. They ran a manual regen and said that I should try to limit my idle time, I'm currently at 115 hours and 520 engine hours. I use the auto start in the winter to warm up the truck, and often run the truck while hitching up to run the air for the dogs & family. Leah, the Regional Customer Service Manager assigned to my case returned my call and informed me there is a known issue with the exhaust regen for my truck and there is a Service Bulletin fix released as a temporary fix with a permanent fix due out around January. Both require a couple days at the dealership.
"The dealerships have been provided some information to distribute to their customers with the diesel engine concern. While we have a temporary repair available (released recently) and a permanent repair coming by next year, the following information is being provided to all of our customers. If you would like to have the temporary repair performed, please reach out to your dealership and explain your concerns. If they are not sure what should be done, refer them to SSM 45270 & TSB 15-0124."
Leah informed me that since a manual regen was completed I should be able to complete my vacation and return to MI and schedule the service once I return.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The dealer in Layton is my prime dealer that I use. They have taken great care of my diesel trucks for the last 15 years. Hope they took good care of you, they have some pretty good techs on staff.

I have a 2015 and have made two trips this summer up to Yellowstone, traveling probably the same roads you just drove. I'm pulling a 13,000 lbs GN horse trailer. So a little lighter than your rig.

I have noticed that my 2015 regens a little different than my 2011 did. Towing my 2011 rarely did an active regen. It's soot % stayed very low with just the passive regens that occur while towing.

My 2015 seems to trigger an active regen even when my soot % is very low and still runs for 30 miles driving the soot % to very very low numbers. Other than just seeing weird numbers on the CTS, I've not noticed any problems with the 2015's regens. Towing or not.

Enjoy your trip thru Utah, Hope the rest is uneventful.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I wonder if this means a recall is coming?

So far, knock on wood, all I have had is regen behavior I am not accustomed to in the 2015. Like PH I had a 2011 and the 3 different regen strategies I had on them were all different than the 2015....

It seems to me that Ford is looking for the perfect regen strategy as each one has issues. Problem is that we all do not drive our trucks the same way, so the strategy that works for PH may not work for me or for gatedreamer... I really wish that the higher trims had the "maual regen" button in them. yes, I know I can get a programmer to get that feature, but it should just be there. Especially since I know when I am taking a long trip and might want to do a regen then.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
There has to be a reason NO OEM offers a manual regen button...but I sure as heck would like the ability to suggest a regen when the filter might be approaching the need and my drive cycle that day would fulfill the requirements.

I hope there's a good reason they don't let us do that.....as right now I believe they don't b/c they assume the owner is an idiot.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gate - thanks for posting that... That does seem to be a lot of idle time percentage wise..

Old 08-26-2015, 02:55 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
I wonder if installing the high idle feature and using it would help him?

Old 08-26-2015, 06:41 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
When does the Regen issues start on 2015's? I just bought a 2016 last week with 7 miles on it. Drove it down to North Carolina this week and put 1200 plus miles hauling a heavy truck camper in it and never had a regen issue. Heck I didn't even see a message.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Congratz on your 2016!

The DPF on your truck was clean whe you bought it and you probably built enough heat with your camper to keep it out of regen.. Dump the camper and run bobtail for a few hundred miles and the regen will kick in... Well that's been my experience anyway...

Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 AM
Gatedreamer
New User
Originally Posted by Gatedreamer
Just left the dealer in Layton Utah. They ran a manual regen and said that I should try to limit my idle time, I'm currently at 115 hours and 520 engine hours. I use the auto start in the winter to warm up the truck, and often run the truck while hitching up to run the air for the dogs & family. Leah, the Regional Customer Service Manager assigned to my case returned my call and informed me there is a known issue with the exhaust regen for my truck and there is a Service Bulletin fix released as a temporary fix with a permanent fix due out around January. Both require a couple days at the dealership.
"The dealerships have been provided some information to distribute to their customers with the diesel engine concern. While we have a temporary repair available (released recently) and a permanent repair coming by next year, the following information is being provided to all of our customers. If you would like to have the temporary repair performed, please reach out to your dealership and explain your concerns. If they are not sure what should be done, refer them to SSM 45270 & TSB 15-0124."
Leah informed me that since a manual regen was completed I should be able to complete my vacation and return to MI and schedule the service once I return.
Here is my update:
Unfortunately, the manual regen performed by the dealer in Layton did not last long. By the time I made my next stop (4 hours of towing) my truck was flashing all the same warnings and messages. The engine also cut power on me again heading out of Lake Powell on a long incline. Even after unhooking and driving without towing the messages remained. I am currently at Jones Ford in Camp Verde getting another manual regen done. I did notice that the truck ran smoother and quieter after the last manual regen, but other than that and the engine cutting power on long inclines, I haven't noticed any other performance changes. More to follow!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 AM
jonesuh
Freshman User
update on my truck----took to dealer late Thursday they called Friday late said they were waiting to hear back from ford ---hope to hear today---have to be honest I'm getting concerned & not hopeful of a fix---keeping getting the feeling Ford doesn't think there is a problem---
please keep me up to date---
let you know what they say ---

Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
There has to be a reason NO OEM offers a manual regen button...but I sure as heck would like the ability to suggest a regen when the filter might be approaching the need and my drive cycle that day would fulfill the requirements.

I hope there's a good reason they don't let us do that.....as right now I believe they don't b/c they assume the owner is an idiot.
The XL(and possibly XLT) trims actually do allow you to manually initiate a regen. Not sure why they don't allow it on the upper trims.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:42 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
The XL(and possibly XLT) trims actually do allow you to manually initiate a regen. Not sure why they don't allow it on the upper trims.
Where did you hear this?
Any more information?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Duty cycle is a big part of the problem here. Started in 08.

Everyone wanted to blame the 6.4 put out by Navistar.

The emissions problems were mostly brought on by duty cycle then and it holds true today.

You just cannot use a diesel for in town only use anymore. It has to work and get hot. You cannot endlessly idle away the hours either.

Change the way you drive, using the truck at speed and working it and you will slow down the issues.

In 5 years of ownership of my 6.4 I didn't have emissions problems. My 6.7 has been problem free as well.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Where did you hear this?
Any more information?
Since 2011 it has been available on at least the XL work truck trim. They don't think that a business that idles a lot will buy Lariat, KR, and Platinum lines.

Problem senix is that using the truck as a truck and being in the arctic you don't want to shut it off for the fear it may not restart. Same goes if it is in a area that is really desolate or hot out. I drive in some extremely remote areas where one doesn't see another car, much less someone that could help you. I have a rule about NOT shutting the truck off in those areas. I even will dump a 5 gal. can of diesel in with it running. I know it's a little risky, but not nearly as risky if it was a gasser. I do shut off at occupied fuel stations. I say occupied because in the areas I drive a lot of them are just fuel islands with no climate controlled store or person around.

FWIW, I rarely pull anything, I do a lot of daily driving, and especially in the winter rarely hit highway speeds. I have NEVER gotten a drive to clean message or a DPF at full capacity message.

There is something wrong with that truck. I bet a sensor gets out of whack. I idle in the winter for at least several if not more minutes before I get going. (Manual says to idle a bit before taking off anyways) Since it is under warranty and at the dealer, the tech should be able to log sensor data. In fact, they should be able to give the OP a "black box" to record sensor data too.

Capt. - Congrats on the 2016!! Glad you got to use it to pull already!

Quick Reply: Diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now