Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robskater
I agree with you. I found out that they called FORD from the dealership for help and the Smart Data Link was replaced. I filed it today with the NHTSA. Sadly I am the only one who has done so but maybe others will. Not everyone searches these forums and online for answers. I really like my truck. 27 years since I bought new for me. This by far has more repair time at 16 days and counting than all my other cars have put together. It is a real bummer and a real disappointment that this is happening to me and evidently the originator of this post. I just wonder how many more are out there. On the NHTSA website the biggest problem I found was the heated seats that are BURNING people and the adaptive cruise control braking without warning next to big trucks. It makes for a good read.
Just out of curiosity I did a quick internet search a few days ago on "2015 F-15 recalls" but didn't find much yet. Still too new to see too much. I saw the Adaptive cruise control issue, and I also saw something about heat shields missing or improperly installed. However since the 2.7 EB is perhaps the #1 selling engine in the #1 selling truck, this might start to become a more prevalent issue for Ford. There might be a recall yet. Just too bad you had to be one of the first to experience the problem.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update to my 2.7 shutdown issues while driving at speed. I got my truck back after another week in the shop last Friday. 19 days total in the shop since purchasing, 2 months ago, 3600 miles. The Sky link theft recovery system was disconnected and also the brake sensor that works with Auto Start was replaced. Too early to tell because nothing was found defective. This is an experiment to see if it will work. I purchased a dash cam in case it shuts down and there is an accident and also to document it. Hopefully I am fixed now but wont know till I drive it over some months and couple thousand miles before I call it fixed.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Robskater
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Robskater
Update to my 2.7 shutdown issues while driving at speed. I got my truck back after another week in the shop last Friday. 19 days total in the shop since purchasing, 2 months ago, 3600 miles. The Sky link theft recovery system was disconnected and also the brake sensor that works with Auto Start was replaced. Too early to tell because nothing was found defective. This is an experiment to see if it will work. I purchased a dash cam in case it shuts down and there is an accident and also to document it. Hopefully I am fixed now but wont know till I drive it over some months and couple thousand miles before I call it fixed.
25 Nov and back again in the shop. 200 miles on it since last visit. 19 days and counting. 3809 miles on it so far.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Rob - Does that mean it quit again? After you got it back yesterday?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Robskater
Freshman User
Yes, it did not completely shut down but lost all power with it still running. I took it back, I have 3809 miles on it now. Really digging in now on the lemon laws, Ford pretty much said they will keep trying to fix but not replace. It has to be a court order or lemon law, they dont do without evidently without force.... 19 days in the shop and counting. Here is a video of my dash after I pulled over.

My dash after stopping

While I was driving....you can hear the chimes....not much else.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bummer! Did you mean to say Ford will not replace it?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Robskater
Freshman User
Yeah that was a typo fixed it now. I was hoping for better, I mean why spend thousands of dollars trying to fix, I mean labor hours to a technician, their profits on it will eventually go negative. Lemon law below.....

The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, sounds like you're covered by lemon law. At least getting about 24 mpg. When it's running.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
A friend was looking at 2015's and I told him about your problems. He bought a 3.5 EB.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Robskater
Freshman User
To tell you the truth if they offer me another truck with a 2.7 I would take it. The truck is a blast to drive and is a great product normally. I think I got a jacked up product somehow but would play the odds on getting another that is not jacked up. If I had a Choice in the replacement I would definitely choose a 3.5EB but not sure how this will work out. The BBB is the agent for arbitration of the Lemon Law here in CA. I have opened my case with them and as of today my truck has been in the dealership repair shop 25 of my 85 days of ownership. 30 days is the magic number for Lemon Law. That is 29.41% of the time since I bought it. 5 more days....Should not be a problem to reach that number based on the past performance. My only real concern is that I got a really good price with almost 8000 discount plus almost 7000 in rebates. I paid just under 28,000 for a truck with an MSRP of 42,250. I have to have another deal like that one or I am going to DODGE or CHEVY for my next truck to replace this one. I don't want one of those but if the negotiations are not satisfactory that is exactly what I will do.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:49 PM
cwtex04
Tuned
Received 140 Likes on 68 Posts
I worked with a guy that had a 2013 F150 that would shut down intermittently. This started after he was driving last spring in a rain storm and lightening struck close to his truck causing it to shut down while he was driving. It was in and out of the shop for several months . Long story short they totaled the truck because the dealership was going to have to end up changing all the wiring and computers out to try and solve the problem. Hopefully they will figure your problem out.

cwtex04

Old 12-04-2015, 09:47 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Discussion of legal activity and legal advice are not permitted on the forums. Posts containing legal advice have been edited or deleted.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Robskater
Freshman User
Sorry about that if I broke the rules. I did not realize. I really appreciate the forum, it hooked me up with someone else and we talked on the phone.

Update, 29 days in the shop as of today with parts on order, Power Train Control Module, it wont he here any time soon I guess. Tomorrow I hit 30 days in the shop out of 88 days of ownership. I am looking real hard at letting it be replaced or a refund. Not sure which will happen yet, trying to find a used F150 for a good deal.

By the way Redford, Retired Master Chief here, now a GS 12 Fed employee doing the same thing, aint retirement great!!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:09 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
I'm still working hard and enjoying life.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Robskater, today should be your magic number of 30 days in the shop since you've owned the truck. Thanks for keeping us posted. It doesn't surprise me that they're replacing the whole PCM.
Actually since today is a weekend, Monday will be your magic 30 days.

Quick Reply: Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB