Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB

Old 09-04-2015, 02:02 AM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AbitaPro View Post
Ford is having quite a few electronic issues similar to what you describe. What the dealer has been doing is checking and clearing any codes found then releasing the vehicles back to the customers. One such customer was called, dealer said they tested hardware, no problems, cleared codes, truck fixed, come and pick up. He did and before he could make it out of the dealers lot, alerts, warnings again, nope not fixed. Dealer tech said sorry, I can only do what Ford tells me to do.

Wouldn't be alarming if it were just happening to entertainment system, but driving, engine, steering, drivetrain, brakes and safety systems are involved. I'd certainly be concerned if I had a new truck.

Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I'd like to know where you got this information. I have a friend who is a service writer and his shop has see very few issues so far.
Your wish .....

There are other forums on the World Wide Web, search for, First electrical gremlins. A thread by maybe 2nd ford, I think.

He posted ....

"To absolutely no surprise, I didn't even make it out of the dealership parking lot before the safety systems started displaying fault messages....again! Of course I pulled right back into the service bay.

The service guy was sympathetic and said, "Man I am sorry but we just do what Ford tells us to do. They said to clear the codes and release vehicle to customer and that's what we did."

Prior to that happening, I told him exactly what would happen, and it did.

Been there, done that!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Sadly the internet is too heavily relied upon for actual research of problems. A person reads one original post and it manifests into 8 pages of theory and well intended suggestions.

Considering the volume of trucks built, there will be an issue and NO, it's not OK with me that one slips by. But they do make it to the dealer for sale and viola, an internet thread is created.

Since I bought my ecoboost truck in 2011 five other families have bought ecoboost trucks, cars or SUV's and not one day in the shop for any of us. I am nosy and I do ask questions.

Anyway, my long winded point is that an issue posted here doesn't mean that a fleet wide chronic issue exists.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Exactly. As stated many times before people come to the internet to complain and search, not praise.
You can search the Internet for any issue on any vehicle and get pages of results. Just for fun I searched electrical gremlins Lexus and found pages of complaints. There's even a Lexus battery drain club.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My work in the dealerships was exclusively with Mercedes. So my ideas may be wrong. However, if a control module lost power, or the input shorted out, these conditions would set 'voltage too low' or 'short to ground'.

I agree with your idea of video'ing the dash, as that would also show engine\temp conditions when this happens. These things, in my experience, are never as random as they first appear. It usually takes a unique set of circumstances percent load, percent throttle, temperature: engine and ambient, are all factors that can play into this unique circumstance. The more information you can provide, the better chance they have of duplicating the situation, and perhaps finding the problem.

Good luck on sorting it out,

Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 PM
ga2015f150
Freshman User
Update: Ford had the dealer run diagnostics and check the wiring harnesses. They had the truck for 5 days. Nothing found although the dealer service manager says they still think a harness issue is the most likely root of the problem. Ford Tech Rep is supposed to look at it next. Dealer said they can get a data recorder from Ford to install so they will know exactly what happens next time. They are running out of chances to fix it with me. Not mad at Ford or the service department involved, but they have had three tries to fix the issue with no results. If they do install the recorder before I have another repeat issue they will hopefully be able to fix it. If not I will be out of patience with this issue.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Exactly. As stated many times before people come to the internet to complain and search, not praise.
You can search the Internet for any issue on any vehicle and get pages of results. Just for fun I searched electrical gremlins Lexus and found pages of complaints. There's even a Lexus battery drain club.

And the point of your post? Exactly, your doing the exact same thing, complaining about others!

Ok we are ready to hear some praise! And did you join the club?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:30 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Sadly the internet is too heavily relied upon for actual research of problems. A person reads one original post and it manifests into 8 pages of theory and well intended suggestions.

Considering the volume of trucks built, there will be an issue and NO, it's not OK with me that one slips by. But they do make it to the dealer for sale and viola, an internet thread is created.

Since I bought my ecoboost truck in 2011 five other families have bought ecoboost trucks, cars or SUV's and not one day in the shop for any of us. I am nosy and I do ask questions.

Anyway, my long winded point is that an issue posted here doesn't mean that a fleet wide chronic issue exists.
Tim you are correct. Just a note though, Ford has just issued a TSB dated August 19, 2015 for Ecoboost F150's built 2011 through May 29, 2015.

TSB15-0131 3.5GTDI - Cold Start - Ticking/Tapping or Rattle Type Noise

For the few .... whom may be affected, eligible under new vehicle and emissions warranty.

I would venture to say most people with vehicle troubles don't post on the internet and likewise most people with no problems either. But you have a few posters whom do post, and I for one am grateful to those who post with questions, mods or troubles/problems. All are helpful, for a variety of reasons.

Finally, thank you for your honorable service to our country!!

Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AbitaPro
And the point of your post? Exactly, your doing the exact same thing, complaining about others!

Ok we are ready to hear some praise! And did you join the club?
Exactly as in I was agreeing with the post previous to mine. I have an EcoBoost F150 and love it as I've said in many other threads.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Exactly as in I was agreeing with the post previous to mine. I have an EcoBoost F150 and love it as I've said in many other threads.
Seems I took it to close to home? My apologies.....

I'm glad you love your EB, I can only say I like my 5.0, this one not many miles on it yet.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Tim you are correct. Just a note though, Ford has just issued a TSB dated August 19, 2015 for Ecoboost F150's built 2011 through May 29, 2015.

For the few .... whom may be affected, eligible under new vehicle and emissions warranty.

I would venture to say most people with vehicle troubles don't post on the internet and likewise most people with no problems either. But you have a few posters whom do post, and I for one am grateful to those who post with questions, mods or troubles/problems. All are helpful, for a variety of reasons.

Finally, thank you for your honorable service to our country!!

Thank you sir! Reps sent for the info. I posted the TSB info on the 2009-2014 site where it will get the most use.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:01 AM
ohfloyd
Freshman User
Wow That TSB calls for the replacement of all 4 variable camshaft timer units and the primary timing chain with about 9 hours labor. Must be more than just noise at cold start going on here.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:42 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Oh fudge! Mine was built on May 29, 2015!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:27 PM
ga2015f150
Freshman User
reasons to post issues

In my mind the reason to post issues like I did, are twofold. First to see if anyone else had the same issue and what the fix was if it were resolved. Secondly, posting creates a searchable record, so the interested community can search to see if others have had a similar problem or not. If everyone who experienced odd issues just kept them to themselves it would not be apparent to owners or potential owners if there was some common issue to be concerned about. It does seem the engine power loss issue I have experienced is quite unusual.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm considering getting a new F-150 with either a 2.7 or the 3.5 ecoboost. After reading this, I might start to think more about the 3.5 eco...
Things like this are why I did not get a '15 model. I always wait a couple of years and give them a chance to get the bugs worked out. I might see what things look like in 2-3 years. I'm also waiting on a regular cab model.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:47 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
The TSB while a good find is really posted in the wrong thread. It is for early build 3.5 EcoBoost engines. I think Tim may have reposted the TSB in another thread.
I'm hoping to get the 2.7 in my next F150 so I'm following it closely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB