1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Master Cyl Brakes Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:33 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, this required three parts:
1. the dual chamber MC
2. the mounting bracket
3. the clutch linkage adaptor

I bought all three parts from MidFifty, but I know the MC came from classic performance.

I believe the same bracket also allows for the introduction of a booster, but with it, you have the added complexity of hooking it to an open vacuum port on the intake.

Also, you'll need to consider frame mount vs. firewall mount regardless the direction you decide to go.

From my research, both options have their positives and negatives.

i.e. do you want to crawl under your truck to fill the MC, do you want to worry about properly reinforcing the firewall mount, do you want a "clean" looking engine bay, etc.

Originally Posted by doublecanister
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info, I'll dig into this.

any suggestions on where to get just the adaptor for the original to a dual res M/C?

I could dig the power brakes but didn't really want to spend 400+ dollars but if that's the easiest route, maybe...

Thanks guys!

T

Old 06-21-2016, 02:27 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey Guys,

any suggestions on where to get just the adaptor for the original to a dual res M/C?

I could dig the power brakes but didn't really want to spend 400+ dollars but if that's the easiest route, maybe...

Thanks guys!

T
This adapter will work, IF you replace the three shorter bolts with longer ones. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=EC-410

Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Guys,

I got the idea for the adapter that I made from the Sachse Rod Shop. I bought the one for the '41 - '48 Ford but my F2 mounts were wider than the F1 so it didn't work. Take a look at their catalog under "Brakes" and then "Adapters". I believe what you need is on page 33. I think I still have the one I bought from them that didn't work on my F2. PM me if you are interested in it and I'll see if I can find it.

Sachse Rod Shop

Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the links

hey Guys,

thank for the links, I wasn't having much luck in my searches.

And Cougar54, Thank you for the offer I'll keep that adaptor of yours in mind.

That Sachse rod shop has some neat stuff.
It reminded me that my truck has an old "Rocco and Cheaters" rod shop sticker in the rear window, I heard they recently may have gone out of business.

Well, I didn't realize ALL THE FREAKIN OPTIONS we seem to have for brakes, man that Sachse shop had some options I've never seen offered before.
Agggh! and to think; I just wanted manual drum brakes, what am I thinking?!

Good suggestion about Bob Drake, I know they have decent parts.
They don't seem to sell a specific adaptor for the 51 Truck but if yall think the other would work with longer bolts, that shouldn't be difficult to do. I have a "Fastenal" about 3 miles from my work, they've ordered weird bolts for me before.

More Mulling...May as well get this like I think I'd like it than mucking with it twice.....Right?

Thank you again guys, I'll stare at it this weekend and try to get an idea of what I need.

T

Old 06-24-2016, 06:39 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Good suggestion about Bob Drake, I know they have decent parts.
They don't seem to sell a specific adaptor for the 51 Truck but if yall think the other would work with longer bolts, that shouldn't be difficult to do. I have a "Fastenal" about 3 miles from my work, they've ordered weird bolts for me before.
I should have said it before, but I am using the adapter I suggested on my 48 F-1. If it helps, here's the bolts I used:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/de...5EE1.fcomjvm04

And here's what it looks like mounted:

Old 06-24-2016, 11:21 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
good photo

Originally Posted by JPMallory
I should have said it before, but I am using the adapter I suggested on my 48 F-1. If it helps, here's the bolts I used:

Hey JpMallory, Thanks man! great picture, really helped me "picture it"
as I wasn't sure how this was going to look/mount, etc.

But, Few other questions for you please:

>What type of M/C did you use again? (looks like a ford one)
I just guessed at using a 71 Mustang M/C, cause I had one when I was 16 and it had 4wheel drums.

>The M/C pushrod, Did you have to get a certain length rod for it?

>Did you have to alter the original brake pedal or clutch assembly?
It doesn't appear that way from what I can see here. But I've read a
few of the "kits" do have their "tweaks" to fit right.

I think I'd be good with exactly what you have there,
Thanks again for the photo!

Man, I may actually get this Truck going where I can drive it some this year.

Thanks again guys for all the tips/tricks/links and suggestions. Knowing where to go/look and buy really helps out a bunch!

T

Old 06-24-2016, 11:21 AM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
JPMallory, Looks good, but I think the access hole for the MC is a bit excessive.
Mark

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Hey JpMallory, Thanks man! great picture, really helped me "picture it"
as I wasn't sure how this was going to look/mount, etc.

But, Few other questions for you please:

>What type of M/C did you use again? (looks like a ford one)
I just guessed at using a 71 Mustang M/C, cause I had one when I was 16 and it had 4wheel drums.

>The M/C pushrod, Did you have to get a certain length rod for it?

>Did you have to alter the original brake pedal or clutch assembly?
It doesn't appear that way from what I can see here. But I've read a
few of the "kits" do have their "tweaks" to fit right.

T
This is the master cylinder I used:
Dual Feed Master Cylinder w/ Stainless Sleeve But, I'm running discs in the front.

I'm currently using the stock push rod. I adjusted it out some to compensate for the plate. Other than that, I didn't make any modifications to the brake/clutch assembly.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
JPMallory, Looks good, but I think the access hole for the MC is a bit excessive.
Mark
Ha! So far the only advantage to having a rotted out floor is the easy access I have to fill the master cylinder.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Floor

Ha! So far the only advantage to having a rotted out floor is the easy access I have to fill the master cylinder.
Speaking of floors, I too have a bit o' rot on the driver side and I'm glad someone mentioned the position of the new M/C with or without the booster may not align with the old "hole in the floor'.

I saw somewhere they sell access ports for doing this, figure I'll just fix it when I weld in the new floor piece. (haven't got that far yet).

Thanks again for the info and links!

T

Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 PM
beals
New User
brakes

i made my own bracket. now its on the firewall. i used international pedals. its not running yet

Old 07-04-2016, 11:47 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
still researching

Hey Guys,

Hope yall have a Happy Independence day!

still looking into this brake adaptor stuff, got sidetracked last weekend making a radiator fan shroud out of some spare metal from a old gas grill.
(hey it was free).

Befor JPMallory responded (and confirmed my questions) Thank you bud!

I had emailed Bob Drake and asked them to verify that their
adaptor does fit the 51' truck? [but you need with longer bolts]
and they confirmed it yes.
https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=EC-410

I asked if they sold one for the 51' but they don't at this time.

In the (customers also purchased this item) category when looking at that mount listed a mustang II M/C-for non power brakes.
https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=C9AZ-2140-D

I don't think i'd want to mount a firewall brake mount, not sure I can now, as I put my Kwikwire fusebox in about that location.
Besides, the pedals (going thru the floor) kinda make these trucks cool don't they?

To each is own tho', but again many thanks for the responses and suggestions (parts and links too!).

So many ways to go with these trucks it's making it difficult to pick one I'd be happy with....but I'm working on it!

Thanks again everyone for their suggestions!

it may be a while but i'll report back once I start this part. Still have about 3 wires to contend with and i'm done with my rewire job for now.
T

Old 07-04-2016, 03:35 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Maybe when you fix the floor you can fab a little door for the M/C. Like the ones for the battery box on those other trucks. I think that would be spiffy.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by toby tough
Maybe when you fix the floor you can fab a little door for the M/C. Like the ones for the battery box on those other trucks. I think that would be spiffy.
That's an excellent idea. I'll have to try to do that.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:23 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass

Hey JPMallory

One other question on this "setup" of yours, (I'm trying to put together a shopping list) and I believe what you have there will work in my situation. Except I'll still be all drum brakes. (for now at least).

Someone mentioned a pressure brake light switch, I'd need that since the stock one wouldn't work I don't believe., good catch.

But, the line plumbing. Going from what I have (stock setup with single m/c) to this dual res M/C,

I'll need to replace all the lines anyways..... so

What did you use for a guide to do this plumbing of the lines?
As in:
Which port on the M/C went to the front brakes /the rears?
Did you use a proportion valve and or residual valves?
if so where?
how many residual valves were used?

Sorry for all the questions but I believe If I get this right in my mind I can do this.

The other confusing thing is this: on a Firewall mount I always thought the front MC res was for the rear, and the rear mc/res was for the fronts.
so in our trucks, mounting them under the floor backwards would that same method be right?
(hopefully now you understand why i'm so confused! LOL)

So I'm not %100 on which way to go.
But, I believe I'm on the right path with all yall's help. And I've pre-sourced the parts that I know of.

Any recommendations or references to a "how too guide" if it's necessary would be greatly appreciated!

I've got to get all the parts and a few tools to do this but I'm itchin to get er dun!

Also, I've mulled going stainless steel or regular steel lines. I've mucked with stainless only once on my 66' Mustang, that stuff was a ***** to bend, so I'm leaning on regular steel, heck if regular steel lasts me 10 years I'd be doing good. (truck's garage kept anyways).

Thanks guys!

T

Quick Reply: Master Cyl Brakes Upgrade???