Sponsored by: Moser

Aluminum Radiator and Fan Shrouds

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM
rbell14
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Radiator and Fan Shrouds

I recently purchased a rebuild 1979 f350 with a 460 engine. It has an aluminum radiator with a stock fan but no shroud.

Problem is it starts to get hot when sitting at idle.

Will adding an aftermarket shroud be better than a electric fan? I've heard the shroud makes a big difference in cooling at idle.

I have no issues while moving, the aluminum radiator works great.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool while rolling usually means the radiator, WP and rest of the setup is OK. Good start.

Hot at a stop usually means not enough air flow. A shroud really helps at stop and low speed. An electric fan needs one also and is often built in. A shroud should help quite a bit.

What will work/fit depends on your radiator. I run a Champion aluminum radiator on my '78/400 and the OE shroud fits great. Also cools great. If you have a Champion, the stock shroud should fit. If other radiator may need some adaptation.

I'd suggest you look for a stock type shroud (JY, Bronco Graveyard, LMC truck ect.). A high capacity OE electric fan setup can work fine also and needs significant charging and wiring upgrades. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of the mechanical setup. I added a thermal fan clutch to mine for less noise and (a bit) more efficiency. OE was fixed fan/no clutch.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 AM
rbell14
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks - I have a super shroud for my aluminum radiator from Bronco Graveyard. I will install it and see how it runs. Was more curious is that would outperform an electric fan.

From what I read and hear, sound like a shroud with mechanical fan should work well and create enough pull to stay cool at idle.