1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Please Help me decide on a van

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:22 PM
EternalShiner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help me decide on a van

Hey everyone, I've decided to buy a van for an ultra budget camper conversion, I wont be dooing any towing with it, just gonna insulate it, build a bed, gear storage, and solar. I've found 2 vans that I am very torn on. Please give some advice!
Van #1: 02 e150 4.6l 206,000 miles, great int/ext condition, owner bought from his company and has all maint records since 10,000 miles, had a major tuneup done at 190k (coils, plugs, wires, fluids, etc), new tires then as well. asking 2500
Van #2: 98 e250 5.4l 150,000 miles, good exterior, average interior, has cab divider and metal cabinets storage in back which i will sell on CL. a few things minor cosmetic things to address(broken door handle, torn seat, broken side view mirror) No history on it though, owner bought it at auction 2 months ago but says it runs great. Only asking 1700 but it could have been beat on and not taken care of.
Both vans are selling for right around kbb value, both cargos, both have been work vans, neither are local I need to commit to one or the other cause theyre 4 hours in the opposite direction. I know once loaded down the 4.6l will suffer in mileage, and with over 200k miles the tranny or engine could go fairly soon. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:01 PM
jack orchard
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, this is an easy choice: The 150 would do everything you want it to do and more. It would also get better fuel economy.
Some on this site recommend a 250 or 350 for anything heavier than two bags of mulch. I am sure the bigger vans suit their needs.
I am also sure you will get other opinions.,...jack

Old 08-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
depends how many miles you'll be driving it.. If you'll average 20,000+ each year, then you should probably get the 150,000mile van.

they're both pretty old... you shouldn't plan on getting much out of either.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:35 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink a pair

Buy BOTH!

Nothing beats having a spare for parts and whatever.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
Personally, I prefer the 3/4 over the 1/2 ton every time. Bigger engine. Stronger trans. Bigger brakes. Bigger rear axle. Stronger springs.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbwheels
Personally, I prefer the 3/4 over the 1/2 ton every time. Bigger engine. Stronger trans. Bigger brakes. Bigger rear axle. Stronger springs.
I agree and would keep looking.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:52 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the half ton would be fine and you would save some gas with it.

The 5.4 seems more likely to spit spark plugs than the 4.6 because of greater cylinder pressures and more vibration.

Caveats: as I recall, the early (97-98) 5.4's were prone to head gasket leaks--check around the rear of the cylinder heads (I recall passenger side was worse). And the '02 4.6 engine (I have one of those in a 150) had a TSB issued....Ford messed up the cooling to the rear of the cylinder heads on the early Romeo PI (power improved) 4.6 heads (engine code W--I forget if it's the 6th or 8th digit in the VIN) used in 2001-03 I think, and almost every van got the Romeo engine.

I had my heads replaced at 42k miles for a $100 deductible--the valves were starting to tick and could be heard from outside the van near the wheel well. If the van has gone over 200k miles, it could be fine, or it might have had the heads replaced. The valve guides would carbon up and the valves would stick and burn in the rear cylinders....

So IMO neither of these vans is a *prime* year/engine combination. If there is any way you could start with an '05 or later van (which got more spark plug threads and had the fixed heads on the 4.6) and less miles, any additional cost might be more than offset by work you would not have to do.

My first 2 vans were Turtle Top camper conversions (more recent one was an '86 GMC) and I think the company went out of business. Starting with a passenger or conversion van might not be a bad thing (you could cover the windows with opaque film or use curtains/blinds) because you would already have insulation, dual AC, carpeting, side panels, a partial bed in the back, etc.

Good luck,
George

Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
One more thing--committing to a used vehicle that is 4 hours away is typically a bad idea. People selling used vehicles are 90% liars (or simply exaggerate in their favor in a major way) and if you travel to buy a vehicle, you tend to feel obliged to go thru with the deal even though something may feel really wrong. And then you will kick yourself.

(My son bought 2 long distance cars; the first was a wonderful and lucky vehicle, the 2nd had lots of hidden rust and repairs, as well as other problems...but he felt obliged to go thru with the deal. The communication from the seller portrayed the car as minty clean and the guy was a great communicator but unfortunately a big fat liar...I don't think my son will do that again.)

Ford vans are all over the place and you should be patient and seek one locally, and bring a car/truck expert with you to check it out, or make arrangements with a mechanic to put it on a hoist and check stuff out like the brakes, underbody rust issues, leaks from every possible location, etc.

Again, good luck.
George

Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by jbwheels
Count me on-board with the E250, especially over that year E150. I'm not so sure the lighter duty chassis or the smaller engine would yield all that significant an operating cost over the longer term. Reading through the Modular Motors forums here I also don't see any significant plug spitting issue with any one CID engine from that family.

That being said there should be plenty of E-Series in your local area---being patient and holding out for the right one makes terrific sense in every aspect. Because you hope to add various camper-like features the E250 makes more and more sense too.

FWIW I'm driving an '03 E250, 5.4 motor, extended body currently with 211 + K miles, bought with just over 165K miles for $4500 cash from a private seller. This included the RKE system, PW, A/C and cruise control. I spent about a year looking for the extended body and A/C---everything else I could have added myself. It was about a 2 hour drive but still in my home state so a pre-sale inspection was absolutely no problem.

As for this KBB pricing---that's pure BS IMHO. Finding the right van 100% suitable for your needs tends to make their "facts & figures" meaningless. If I were selling a vehicle I knew was ultra-dependable and in great shape and a "buyer" approached me with all that nonsense we'd end the conversation. While they might want my vehicle due its well-kept condition if they can't or won't pay my price looking elsewhere is their best bet. That's just me mind you---some sellers need the money.

If you go forward with this project let us know-----there's a site dedicated to DIY camper mods in vans----I could link you easily enough.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree with not driving that far for the van unless you are sure about the quality of it. As far as which van, you mentioned it would be a cheap camper/rv conversion. For that I would probably compare the interior room of the e150 to the e250. I would think that the e250 would offer more room for the conversion.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jayro88
I agree with not driving that far for the van unless you are sure about the quality of it. As far as which van, you mentioned it would be a cheap camper/rv conversion. For that I would probably compare the interior room of the e150 to the e250. I would think that the e250 would offer more room for the conversion.
???? They are exactly the same size unless you are talking about an extended 250...

Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
???? They are exactly the same size unless you are talking about an extended 250...
Good to know. I didn't know the cab sizes of the e150 vs the 250......thought the 250 might have been a little bigger since its a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by jayro88
Good to know. I didn't know the cab sizes of the e150 vs the 250......thought the 250 might have been a little bigger since its a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton.
Beginning model year '92 there were only two bodies--standard or regular length and the extended bodies. Regardless which chassis (E150, E250, E350, E450 etc etc) the bodies are exactly the same.

FWIW the Club Wagon & 15-passenger vans were of the extended body types. I had a relatively hard search for my current E250 extended body, cargo only configuration (no side body windows other than side and rear doors.)

Old 08-22-2015, 06:56 AM
wirelessengineer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jack orchard
To me, this is an easy choice: The 150 would do everything you want it to do and more. It would also get better fuel economy.

I think the half ton would be fine and you would save some gas with it.

Are you sure about that? Depends on the load it's hauling. A smaller engine has to work harder, and may wind up getting the same or worse mileage.

My wife's grandpa bought a new RV at the same time as his buddy. Identical campers built on the E350 chassis. The only difference was in the engine. Mr. Buddy wanted to save gas, so he got the 351. Grandpa wanted power so he got the 460. They went on a trip together. Got the same mileage. Grandpa had to wait for his buddy quite a lot, going up long inclines or into headwinds where the 351 just didn't have the ponies.

Whose engine is going to last longer? Who saved money?

A friend of my Dad's bought an F150 for towing a light camper. Being the frugal sort he was, he got the 6 cylinder. (Back in the day of the old 300ci 6 banger. Great engine.) The truck by itself was great on gas around town. Towing? Not so much. He moaned and complained for two years about the lousy mileage he got. Finally got rid of it.

Small engines are fine with light loads. Don't assume that smaller engine automatically means better mileage. It depends on the load.

One more thing--committing to a used vehicle that is 4 hours away is typically a bad idea.

Ford vans are all over the place and you should be patient and seek one locally,
Yep. Buying long distance is a great way to be very sorry. Been there, done that, don't plan to do it again.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
x2 on engine size. Choose the van in better condition. You'll spend more keeping a worn small engined van running (don't forget to factor downtime and hassle) than you will in fuel for a V-10.

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 191K miles

Quick Reply: Please Help me decide on a van