Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

fixing small paint chip spot - can I leave the rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:38 PM
justgetmethere
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixing small paint chip spot - can I leave the rust

I don't know why, but the roof of my escape has several little paint chips (missing paint areas). Some show primer, the others show rust. They are all very small (like a 1/16" diameter or so).
Anyway, I got three touch-up bottles with primer, paint, and clear coat. I took care of the biggest spot which had a little rust showing. I sanded off the rust, but in doing so, scuffed up a spot the size of a penny. The truth is the "matching" touch up paint is really close but doesn't match. So how instead of having an 1/8" chip with rust, I have a penny sized "discoloration". Fortunately this is on the roof, but I also have some spots on the hood.
Rather than sanding off the rust and creating a much bigger area of "distress", I'm wondering about just putting a drop of the touchup paint on top of the little rust spot to "seal it in".
What do you think? Or is there a way of removing the little rust spot without scuffing up so much paint?
I'm going to try to take a picture of one of the spots with my smartphone and post here so you can see what I'm talking about.
But for now, I'm wondering about just touching-up over the rust so I only have a small spot with the touchup paint. Thoughts???
PS. We are talking really small spots, but I want to fix them before they become big spots!

update: I took a picture with my smartphone and added it below so people can see what I'm talking about. I love my smartphone (that I got from Republic Wireless by the way), but I'm still learning how to use the camera on it, and more importantly how to get the pictures onto my computer. The picture below shows the size of the chip and rust spot compared to a penny. As you can see, the spots are pretty small.

Last edited by justgetmethere; 08-16-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 08-14-2015, 03:49 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I wouldn't do that; I'd be inclined to use Naval Jelly to remove the rust, then use some sort of primer followed by touchup paint, possibly applied with a small brush (the kind used to paint plastic models, for example).

Loctite 16 fl.-oz. Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver Bottle-553472 - The Home Depot

Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM
justgetmethere
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I wouldn't do that; I'd be inclined to use Naval Jelly to remove the rust, then use some sort of primer followed by touchup paint, possibly applied with a small brush (the kind used to paint plastic models, for example).
Thanks for the suggestion on the Naval Jelly. I'm not familiar with it. So do I just put a dab of it over the rust and let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe it off? Does it dissolve the rust and leave bare metal? And more importantly, does it leave the paint and any exposed primer alone?

Old 08-14-2015, 05:59 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Read the directions on the bottle; IIRC the surface should be moist and the substance rinsed off after having sat & worked for some time but it's been a while since I've used it so don't rely on what I say, go do your homework on the stuff (I have no idea how it affects paint, look into that).