6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

to 6.0 or not to 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM
ginomachino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to 6.0 or not to 6.0

Another dead horse - I know.

Completely new to diesels here. I have been reading a lot about these engines, and can't really come to a conclusion.

I have a decent knowledge of gas engine repair - I've done many head gaskets, clutches, runnabilty diagnostics, etc. So working on something new wouldn't be a problem, as long as the resources are available...

I am looking at a used 2004 F250 6.0 (Harley Davidson Edition) at a Ford dealer. It has 110k miles. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic that is going to look at it for me before I commit to buy it, and I am going to hook up my camper while we go on the test drive.

It is my understanding that these motors are just unpredictable, which, to me, makes it unreliable. So the question is definitely a loaded one, and I am finding it difficult to narrow it down to a single sentence.

IF things look normal, scangauge shows good data, everything appears to be ok, should I buy it or stay away?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 AM
ginomachino
Senior User
I should add that this truck has a 5th wheel rail installed in it. Can that, along with the fact that this is possibly a "poser" trim, be an indicator of things to expect?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ginomachino
Another dead horse - I know.

Completely new to diesels here. I have been reading a lot about these engines, and can't really come to a conclusion.

I have a decent knowledge of gas engine repair - I've done many head gaskets, clutches, runnabilty diagnostics, etc. So working on something new wouldn't be a problem, as long as the resources are available...

I am looking at a used 2004 F250 6.0 (Harley Davidson Edition) at a Ford dealer. It has 110k miles. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic that is going to look at it for me before I commit to buy it, and I am going to hook up my camper while we go on the test drive.

It is my understanding that these motors are just unpredictable, which, to me, makes it unreliable. So the question is definitely a loaded one, and I am finding it difficult to narrow it down to a single sentence.

IF things look normal, scangauge shows good data, everything appears to be ok, should I buy it or stay away?
You will for sure have the resources here, no doubt about that.
I bought an '03 last month that was very misrepresented, now I am finding out first hand what the 6.0 is all about after the HPOP or something in that system checked out. The truck ran awesome before that and I don't blame this problem on the seller, that has to do with other things.

I knew full well what a 6.0 might entail before I bought ours, since this is a father/son deal and he wants to be a diesel mechanic, I figured we would have some exposure to repairs with a 6.0.

I will say that things appeared great on the surface with mine on the test drive with the scangauge going. My delta's on the EOT/ECT were awesome pulling a car back home. Then a week later towing a skidloader something let loose on the high pressure side. Now, had I done a little more research on what the ICP should have been, maybe that would have alerted me to something, however that is neither here nor there.
I am for the most part enjoying the repairs and learning something new each time I go take something else off. There is a TON of knowledge here on the board and guys willing to chip in that have done these repairs often.

I would hope you are getting the truck bought right. I did, and it's a good thing as I am looking at another grand for sure I would guess for what I need, not to mention the things I want to do soon.
Ask for an OASIS report on the truck, that might shed some light on things as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:34 PM
ginomachino
Senior User
thanks for the reply, Navi. Since you mentioned the ICP readout. Can you share your knowledge? I have looked through the thread of things to check before buying a 6.0, and all the values that are available, but it is hard to remember everything at once.

What were the values that you wished you had noticed and what are the acceptable ranges?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ginomachino
thanks for the reply, Navi. Since you mentioned the ICP readout. Can you share your knowledge? I have looked through the thread of things to check before buying a 6.0, and all the values that are available, but it is hard to remember everything at once.

What were the values that you wished you had noticed and what are the acceptable ranges?

Thanks!!!
I never checked the ICP until I started to work on it, lesson learned!
I am assuming it was ok, as good as she ran and started, plenty of power.
I did confirm this afternoon that my HPOP or something under the cover is bad along with something under both valve covers, not to distract from your thread.

I don't have THAT much knowledge yet but am learning each day!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:15 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I wouldn't call them unpredictable.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
The truck is already 12 model years old. It already has a fifth wheel installed in the bed. That, along with the current mileage on the clock are all things you need to consider before you make the commitment to purchase.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,388 Likes on 2,086 Posts
Previous owner or owners play a big part in how well maintained the truck should be. As mentioned, 12 years old, buy it right and drive it. If they want a premium, walk away. Leave yourself a fudge factor for expenses. AND with any used vehicle, buyer beware, believe nothing, because most salesmen are just that, salesmen.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
My thoughts are, first off, do you have a need for a truck that can pull 14-18k lbs with no sweat or is it going to be a driver? Are you planning to turn wrenches on it yourself or pay someone else? And finally, can you get it for a decent price?

My experience with my truck (and friends and family) has been generally the engines have an issue with cooling system components. On mine, I've replaced the oil cooler, EGR cooler, radiator, the thermostat an unknown number of times, and the water pump. All coolant related parts. To a lesser degree, the HEUI injection with its high pressure oil system can be a problem. Specifically, HPO pumps on the early trucks and the plumbing after the 2006 model year when the pump was redesigned.

I have enjoyed owning mine, I have done some work on it and spent some money but overall it's been well worth it and towing our fifth wheel is a breeze compared to some of the underpowered gassers I've owned over the years.

The Harley trucks had some nice options but really didn't affect much under the hood. They do book higher than a similarly equipped Lariat and have some good looking trim work and interior.

Because of the bad rep, these trucks typical sell for well below book value. Hold out for a good deal, plan to get a little grease under your fingernails at some point, and don't forget to look at the rest of the truck closely.
Good luck!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I am relatively new to the 6.0, but I think your on the right track researching on the internet and checking things out. My advice is buy right and as long as you can do your own work you should be ok. The 6.0 problems are well documented, along with the fixes. The one think I would look for is it the mid year updated engine with the IPS on the valve cover. Second thing the 2005 and newer trucks had many upgrades in the brakes, front suspension, and frame with higher tow ratings. I also like the factory trailer brake controller and upfitter switches available those years. I held out for a good buy on a 2006

Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
I bought an 05 f 350 dually for a song ,and if I had to do it all over again I would! I've had some issues with the truck, but nothing you couldn't fix over a weekend. Maintenance will be keep with these trucks, and understanding the data from the gauges is crucial to foresee problems! My buddy has an 03 f 350 and he has replace the FICM and oil cooler, he has over 200,000 miles on this truck a daily driver and he pulls a four horse trailer, me personally I wouldn't buy anything under an 05 and preferably an 07, if you can swing the extra cash! Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll love the truck it is a beast welcome to FTE

Old 08-14-2015, 06:19 AM
ginomachino
Senior User
WOW! Thanks you Thank you Thank you for all the replies. All this makes me much more comfortable with the idea that I am actually considering this purchase. I will give this one a chance and let you guys know what I find. Even if I don't end up getting this one, it's awesome to know that so many are willing to share their knowledge and personal experience. Most people I have talked to locally about this seemed to have some sort of a bias...

Old 08-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
Be sure to post in this thread, when you do make your decision, we will all be waiting to see what you pick up!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Previous owner or owners play a big part in how well maintained the truck should be. As mentioned, 12 years old, buy it right and drive it. If they want a premium, walk away. Leave yourself a fudge factor for expenses. AND with any used vehicle, buyer beware, believe nothing, because most salesmen are just that, salesmen.
Very, very true.....

When I bought my 2005 Excursion, I was told it was maintained by the previous owner. While it sounded good, I found weak batteries and corroded battery terminals, a leaking EGR cooler, clogged oil cooler, coolant that was long past done, all while picking it up from the dealer 700 miles from home.

When I got it home, I found transmission fluid that needed to be changed almost 60,000 miles ago, black gunk that poured out of the transfer case, a black transmission filter (one by the front bumper), filthy and deplorable Chinese fuel filters, I could go on, but you get the idea....

You and your mechanic should look over the truck together and make sure that things are to your liking and what issues you run into, you're able to handle.

I already had $4,000 set aside to stud and reseal my truck as I planned on doing it anyhow so I'd never have to worry about it again. That same investment made years ago has paid off as (knock on desk) The Monster hasn't left me on the side of the road.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:40 PM
ginomachino
Senior User

This while towing a 6000 lb camper. I'm so bummed and it runs so well...

Quick Reply: to 6.0 or not to 6.0