6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New belt time

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:31 PM
strokinout
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New belt time

So, been a while since I've posted but I'm having some trouble. I've developed the belt squeak issue and after almost 100k on the original belt I figure it's time to replace. I want to go with a goodyear gatorback as that seems to be the best but what part number? Also, on amazon when I type in the p/n for what I believe is supposed to be the correct belt, continental elite brand pops up instead. Does anyone have any experience with them as it looks like it's the same belt?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Kdawg89
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokinout
So, been a while since I've posted but I'm having some trouble. I've developed the belt squeak issue and after almost 100k on the original belt I figure it's time to replace. I want to go with a goodyear gatorback as that seems to be the best but what part number? Also, on amazon when I type in the p/n for what I believe is supposed to be the correct belt, continental elite brand pops up instead. Does anyone have any experience with them as it looks like it's the same belt?

Stay away from Goodyear belts, the reason they are now labled as conti elite is because contitech just bought goodyear belts and hoses from veyance. There has been 0 R&D that has gone into the gaterback belt since it was sold by Goodyear to Veyance some 8ish years ago. The tech is outdated and doesn't make sense for demanding drives.

Go with a gates fleetrunner green belt.

FleetRunner® Heavy-Duty V-Belts | Gates Corporation

Old 08-11-2015, 05:26 PM
strokinout
Senior User
Had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. Is this the belt you're running?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I like Dayco myself.

Josh

Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Kdawg89
Senior User
Had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. Is this the belt you're running?
No but I sell Gates I will put one on when the time comes. Before gates I sold dayco and before dayco I sold Goodyear. So I have long term experience with all 3 and while Dayco is good Gates is the top dog in rubber no doubt.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put a gatorback on mine a few months ago and have towed with it, fully using a new fan clutch at high speed. The gatorback solved my chirping at shutdown and I also had a squeal at high fan speed and when accelerating the fan before. It solved that.
Single alternator, p/n Goodyear 4081265. It's now marketed as a "Continental Elite 4081265 Poly-V Belt"

Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
I put a gatorback on mine a few months ago and have towed with it, fully using a new fan clutch at high speed. The gatorback solved my chirping at shutdown and I also had a squeal at high fan speed and when accelerating the fan before. It solved that.
Single alternator, p/n Goodyear 4081265. It's now marketed as a "Continental Elite 4081265 Poly-V Belt"
Sorry about this little

Chirp at shut down?
Please tell more. Getting it now. More so with heavy belt loading
like having the steering wheel turned so it loads things up.

To the OP so this is not going to be a total hijack.

Be sure to check all the idlers when you have the belt off.
If they bind or squeak plan on replacing it. Also look for dust
from the idlers.

Thanks

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
The chirp at engine shut down was a short belt squeal, aka chirp, that I think happened right when the belt drive came to a rest after I turned the engine off. That's typically when the tensioner will do some goofy stuff, possibly because that's when the engine can run backwards for a fraction of a rotation as the pistons find their "home". Maybe the fan is still spinning a bit at that point, too. Then you've got some stuff spinning two different ways on a single belt drive.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The chirp at engine shut down was a short belt squeal, aka chirp, that I think happened right when the belt drive came to a rest after I turned the engine off. That's typically when the tensioner will do some goofy stuff, possibly because that's when the engine can run backwards for a fraction of a rotation as the pistons find their "home". Maybe the fan is still spinning a bit at that point, too. Then you've got some stuff spinning two different ways on a single belt drive.
Uh-huh.....I have that chirp at shut down also. Every now and then I get a squeak. It's about time to change the belt and tensioner pulleys too. I heard to only use OEM on the tensioner and pulleys. Aftermarket ones don't have the kick stand and are of poor quality. Probably a good time to replace the water pump too.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:59 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Originally Posted by xaviar
Uh-huh.....I have that chirp at shut down also. Every now and then I get a squeak. It's about time to change the belt and tensioner pulleys too. I heard to only use OEM on the tensioner and pulleys. Aftermarket ones don't have the kick stand and are of poor quality. Probably a good time to replace the water pump too.
That sounds excessive to me. I'd just do the belt since it's so quick and easy, and spin and wiggle the pulleys to check them while the belt is off. I only replace if bad.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The belt is not cheep and mine is only about 18 mo old.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-13-2015, 05:12 AM
strokinout
Senior User
Not a hijack at all. Seems some folks are having some chirping issues. I don't have that issue but if it develops in the future for me and someone knows how to fix it, by all means.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:14 AM
strokinout
Senior User
That sounds excessive to me. I'd just do the belt since it's so quick and easy, and spin and wiggle the pulleys to check them while the belt is off. I only replace if bad.
I just noticed this and remember when I had my motor tore apart that my tensioner didn't have the kickstand. I thought it fell off. Is the Gates one any good?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:35 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
I just noticed this and remember when I had my motor tore apart that my tensioner didn't have the kickstand. I thought it fell off. Is the Gates one any good?
I changed my drive belt at 100,000 and checked the tensioner pulleys and idlers and they felt good to me, well at 115,000 I had one of the tensioner pulleys seize and throw the belt so I am now of the opinion that you should replace the belt tensioner and idler pulleys at 100,000 as mine showed no play when I changed the drive belt at 100,000 and failed 15,000 miles later. I went with OEM replacements.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:53 PM
strokinout
Senior User
So, now that I've pulled my serpentine to check pulleys, I discovered to my dismay that I get to replace the top idler pulley on the driver's side. Pulling the belt's a bear when you don't have the lever on the belt tensioner but a quarter will work for anyone else in that situation. Anyone know the part number for the pulley?

Quick Reply: New belt time