2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Thinking of buying New Explorer.... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking of buying New Explorer.... Advice?

So the wife and I are looking at trading in a Sante Fe that we inherited for a brand new Explorer. The wife likes the looks of the Sport Model, and I would have to agree, though I have seen some nice Limited versions as well.

I have been leaning toward the 3.5 V6, as I'm still a bit on the fence about the Eco Boost engines. I have heard about issues of carbon build up due to the direct injection (any truth to this?). We also plan on keeping this vehicle for years to come and I just dread the idea of having to replace turbos etc down the road. We don't need the extra power (though it would be nice) and the mileage ratings were nothing to convince me either. Biggest problem with the 3.5l N/A is that it only comes in the lower trim packages.

The dealers have been having a tough time getting many Explorers on the lot as the Police bought a whole wack of them, which makes me feel a bit better as they generally use durable vehicles, and from what I understand they are using the EcoBoost.

Just wanting some feedback from any owners on what they like/dont like about the Explorer itself, and opinions on the EcoBoost?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
My wife drives a 2015 Explorer XLT with the leather pkg, moon roof and 20" wheels and Nav, so it has most of the good stuff that a limited would have at a much lower price.
It has the 3.5l N/A engine, which has plenty of power for our needs. We plan to keep it a LONG time and we both couldn't be happier with it. Love the fold flat rear seats and cargo room. We have taken it on 2 800 mile round trips with the dogs, gear and a large cooler and it rides awesome and is very comfortable. It gets decent fuel mileage on regular gas as well.
No issues here.
Pat

Old 08-12-2015, 08:27 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with LabCab. Wife's 15 XLT has been great so far. We had one trip to the dealer for an airbag light. This is our first Explorer and we are well pleased.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The windshield A pillar is way too wide, and unsafe.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:18 PM
jasoncar40
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LabCab
My wife drives a 2015 Explorer XLT with the leather pkg, moon roof and 20" wheels and Nav, so it has most of the good stuff that a limited would have at a much lower price.
It has the 3.5l N/A engine, which has plenty of power for our needs. We plan to keep it a LONG time and we both couldn't be happier with it. Love the fold flat rear seats and cargo room. We have taken it on 2 800 mile round trips with the dogs, gear and a large cooler and it rides awesome and is very comfortable. It gets decent fuel mileage on regular gas as well.
No issues here.
Pat

I just bought my wife a 2016 XLT with leather pkg, double panel moon roof, 4x4, and the 3.5L N/A engine. Plan on keeping it a long time, and for the price difference between it and the Sport/Limited, we are very happy. Still under 100 miles though

Old 08-12-2015, 01:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
My folks picked up a 15 Explorer with the 3.5EB. That is one heck of a vehicle. The engine has great power and the transmission programming is dialed in. It just gets up and goes.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Thanks to everyone who has replied! Much appreciated...

I think I'll have to drive both the N/A & Ecoboost to see what I think. Was driving the Sante Fe yesterday, and my god its gutless. Its got a 3.3L rated at 242 hp and 226 lb-ft torque, and it just doesn't cut it.

"Mash it to the floor and feel the horsepower!!!!.......... Nope just disappointment..."

I'd rather have an overpowered engine than a gutless one any day - Hence the 460 powered truck

Old 08-12-2015, 02:20 PM
jasoncar40
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy with the power of the 3.5L NA, it gets up and moves. Then if i put it in sport mode and use the "paddle" shifters, it moves even a little bit quicker.

For us, spending another 10-12k+ to go up to a sport or limited just didn't make sense.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
IMHO, avoid the "Ecoboost" engines.....

There are issues also with direct injection that the Europeans have never been able to address…carbon build-up. Back in the 80’s there was a company that built a “tool” that allowed you to clean the combustion chambers without removing the heads with crushed walnuts, today, the “new” engineers have never even seen this and their current solution for excessive carbon build up- pull the heads….ok, great, so every 30-60K miles an owner can expect to shell out $3k for “routine maintenance”….oh happy day there! Ford has also advised NOT TO USE any over the counter cleaning products as this will lead to turbo impellor failure in a very short duration afterwards.

Ecoboost Blues - FORD - FlatRateTech

Roger Blose January 2015

“Just received my Feb. issue of Consumer's Report magazine where on page 59 they have a story about the growing problem with DI engine carbon problems.”

IMHO......Some people like turbos, some like blowers, some like normally aspirated. IMHO, with gas engines for street use/daily drivers, I just don't like any boost at all...too many variables to cause damage in the long run, fuel quality, road debries, etc....and very few of these last as long as a normally aspirated gas engine....Yes the tech is great but…..the 70’s & 80’s were demonstrative of the numerous issues including finding a "Tech" who actually understands & can diagnose the system without causing further damage....this is a challenge with the engines we currently have.

Considering the high boost levels (12 psi) as compared to typical aftermarket systems (6-8 psi), this leaves a lot of reliance on the systems to work correctly…as this makes the engine much less forgiving especially with engine mis-fires, etc. which are very prone to burning a hole through a piston (if you are lucky) or even worse, causing substantial catastrophic engine failure (rod through the block)

These (IMHO) are also soon to be the newest "Disposible engine" because the troubleshooting &/or repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle real fast!

And it’s starting to show…..

Yeah so 1,400 miles and my Ecoboost has a blown head gasket - Ford Mustang Forum
6-1-15, BLK50
“Yeah so 1,400 miles and my Ecoboost has a blown head gasket, I started it up at work today and drove out of the parking lot and look back and see this huge cloud of white smoke. Pull over and stop and look and there's what smells like steam coming out of the exhaust.” I took it easy on the car and never hit redline in the first 1,000.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15317028
04-30-15, 04:16 PM bctimber
“Well I was driving it made a big bang/ puff noise then the no oil psi came on and runs like its on 2 or 3 cyl.”

Ford 3.5l Ecoboost Engine Failure

04-04-2013, 03:23 PM EcoBoom
“When I went to the dealer I asked them to bring it in and look see what the issue was and what I had though it was. (turbo) they lifted it up and removed the skid plates to find a hole on either side of the block just above the oil pan rail. to shorten this up. They quoted me $12+ to install a new motor”

Dec 10, 2014 1:28 pm inkryptic
2010 3.5L Ecoboost Engine being replaced under warranty : Ford Flex Forum

...#5 was misfiring. It turn out there is a hole in the piston.

2012 F-150 King Ranch - 2 Blown Motors in 23,500 miles | Tundra Headquarters Blog

Engine number 2 blowing up within 3 weeks. Another new long block will be going in as well as turbos and whatever else I need. They found cylinder 3 and 6 had been flooding/running rich and blew apart. Same problem as before. He says they will be testing the fuel injectors and fuel system all around

2012 Ecoboost F150 Engine Failure

08-22-2013 Blueflame12
I have a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost engine and it has about 34k miles. As I was driving to work, which was only about 4 miles from the dealer, the tapping noise suddenly got very loud following a BANG. The engine began shaking and loosing power. The next day I get a call saying the engine suffered catastrophic failure and was going to be replaced under the warranty. They said metal chunks were found in the oil and the turbos were damaged too

Blown Ecoboost engine - F150online Forums

cburbee 11-04-2014
“I have a 2011 f150 ecoboost. 130000km on it. I was driving down a gravel road 2 days ago and the engine misfired…….went into limp mode……..Backed off on the throttle then gave it again and seemed fine. Got to a stop sign and heard the dredded ticking/knocking coming from engine. Drove straight to the dealership….told me engine is toast, metal filings all through the bottom end. No idea what caused it. I was quoted 15k for the replacement (canadian). Ouch……..don't buy one of these trucks used off warranty unless you have lots of money in case you need to fix it.

Mtnmanut 11-04-2014

“My POS ecoboost did that at 2000 mile. Ticking knocking and lots of shavings in pan and filter. New motor under warranty. first complaints to dealer was **** poor mileage,ticking and knocking. took blowing it up and ford rep to get them to look at it.”

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14955749

b bricker 12/31/14

F150 Ecoboost timing chain

“My 2012 F150 ecoboost just tossed its timing chain. Ford told me no recalls or notices. After I spoke with a master technician, there is a TSB on the timing chains. Cost me 8000.00 to repair (apparently I am not the only one). Ford did nothing for me. No warning or codes - just tore the valve train out. Thank you Ford for the Christmas Gift....

My experience : be VERY careful with the ecoboost V6

Oh yes, this was after when I first bought the truck and they couldn't find out why it was misfiring within the first year - Ended up replacing the wiring harness and all the coil” packs. At my cost...because guess what? An engine wiring harness is not covered by drive train warranty.

Buyer beware ....on this one. And by the way, I restore my own cars and mechanically inclined and maintain my equipment very well. Soooo....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14957404

86fn150 12/31/14
“at our dealership we haven't had one toss the chain but have had maybe 6 or so that ALL the front timing stuff was replaced. All ecoboost engines are junk. Lots of misfires, cooling problems etc….don't buy a new escape -PERIOD (garbage)”

Additionally, issues that are typical of turbo’d gas engines are a continued “Dominent”, and when combined with the higher boost, extended oil changes and smaller (lower capacity) filters, this is not what I would call “A Good Thing”. A few comments from Ford Master Techs……

Black oil from Ecoboost motor - FORD - FlatRateTech

“You are supposed to go 5K-7.5K on an LOF. That way, Ford can sell you either another vehicle, or an engine, after 100K pops up on the clock. Providing it makes it that far. But in honesty, I think the main problems now are the size of the oil filters today.”

“You could try and get into the habit of letting your vehicle idle for a minute or” 2 prior to shutting it off every time you park it.”

“Turbo engines beat the **** out of oil like motorcycles.”

“Knowing the Ford engines and my experience with Mazda, I wouldn't push the oil change interval past 4k miles regardless of synthetic or not. Especially if you beat on the car.”

“Car manufacturers use the customers as lab rats for testing. I'd be concerned that the oil is taking a beating due to the DI, heat from the turbocharger working overtime, and so on. The turbo won't be the only thing taking a beating either.”

Ecoboost Blues - FORD - FlatRateTech

Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport and I send an oil sample to a lab after every change. While wear products are always quite low, the oil (Mobil 1) shows serious viscosity breakdown after 4000 miles.
I spoke to a tech rep from Mobil who indicated that they see a lot of this on DI engines, turbo charged or not. Then I wrote to Ford Customer Support and got a boiler plate answer to refer my problem to my servicing dealer. My dealer can't imagine why I have my oil analyzed and don't just go by the oil life monitor. After all, that's what the owners manual says to do.
At this point I really don't give a damn. I have an extended warranty. I change the oil every 4K and if it toasts a turbo it's Ford's problem.
P.S. The police version of the explorer does NOT use the eco-boost engine. Wonder why?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:18 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe the police Explorers (and Tauruses) are offered with a choice of EB and NA engines and a choice of FWD and AWD, depending on their use.

Any turbo engine will be highly stressed and more complex than the comparable NA engine. They make a lot of heat under the hood and will rot out rubber hoses and wiring faster than an NA engine. Lots more plumbing, issues like taking rocks thru an intercooler, etc.

One of my son's engineer friends at U of Mich (my son is a Materials Science Engineer) worked for Toyota Engineering in Ann Arbor, MI. Toyota actually adds a port injector to clean the backs of the intake valves, so at this time they are the only mfr that has a solution that makes me comfortable regarding clean intake valves. (They run the port injector at low speeds and idle, I believe.) This kid was brilliant and helped balance the crank on their V10 LFA supercar...

But, one of the friend's jobs was to start up a DI VW test car that Toyota owned in the parking lot every morning, drive it across the lot, and park it. Next day, same thing. After a couple months the oil in the crankcase was 20% gasoline.

I watched Ford dismantle the test Ecoboost torture test engine in 2011 at the Detroit Auto Show and it looked pretty clean, but was run hard. The Toyota test simulates grandma driving her car to church on Sunday and to the grocery store.

I keep cars for 10+ years and have been looking at Explorers, Edges, and Flexes. Being an old hotrodder, I am really tempted by the performance of the EB but I would not buy one at this time. Even though I buy extended warranties, they usually go away after 5 or 6 years, after which repairs are on my dime. I don't want to be the one buying new turbos, paying for walnut shell blasting the backs of intake valves, or at worst replacing a whole engine. The EB engines seem to be doing OK, but when we see a lot of them over 200k miles we will know more about the long term costs and reliability.

I had a bunch of muscle cars in the old days and they did not have serious engine problems. I had one turbo car, an '86 Chrysler, and it got a new turbo, cylinder head, and pistons and rings at 69k miles (with a 70k warranty, bless the 7/70 warranty of the day).

Good luck; the Explorer is a very appealing vehicle,
George

Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
While the DI turbo audi Q5 we had did not have any issues when we traded it @ 48k miles, we were starting to hear that they were having issues in the combustion tract from the direct injection on the older models ...

BUT, all I can say about the sport is that at 35k miles the wife's sport has had ONE problem that has not been able to be fixed yet !

she won't let me drive it enough !!!!!!!!!!!
so when I traded in my NICE f-350 platinum on 'our' motorhome thinking I would get to have fun in 'her' sport...
boy was I mistaken - we go in the wrangler now ! (Ack, just noticed I need to change my signature line!)

I would highly recommend the sport, Not only is it a good looking vehicle,
it gives you a much better ride 'feel' with the goodies like lowered suspension, etc...
(there's much more to the sport than just the engine)

Old 10-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Island'r
Tuned
UPDATE:

We ended up buying a 2016 Explorer sport...

And my first impression was I liked it... But after driving for a while that quickly changed....

Now I LOVE it!!!

Took our chances on the eco boost, but so far I'm really happy with it! TONS of power and gets really good mileage! (even with my wife driving it lol)

All the added sport features are nice, and even though I though I wouldn't need all that extra junk; I have quite enjoyed things like heated seats & steering wheel, auto darkening mirrors, the fack that you don't have an ignition key, and don't even need to press any buttons to unlock/lock you vehicle (that took a while to get used to!)

But all in all we are VERY happy with our purchase... Time will tell if it was the right decision!!!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:10 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
Happy for you, it's a nice vehicle. Not sure how you could afford a new Sport though. All the teabaggers claim there are no jobs or just burger-flipping jobs. Congrats!

Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM
69satelite
Freshman User
Nice choice. Wish my wife would of bought the sport. They sure seem to have more power. She is on her second Explorer. 2011 And now the 2015. Happy with everything except the exhaust smell in the cabin after hard acceleration. And that is anything above 3000 rpm.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying New Explorer.... Advice?