Sponsored by: Moser

78/79 Frame steel

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
78/79 Frame steel

Anyone know of a place that will sell high quality frame pieces?

I'm looking to completely replace all of my cab mounts with some new metal. The front ones aren't the best, but the rear is awful!

I would rather go for full new metal pieces than replacement holes/welding from Bronco Graveyard Frame Saver

Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
1) look your frame over really carefully to see if it is worth restoring

2) There are no new frame parts except maybe spring perches

3) cab mounts can be fabricated

4) Used solid cab mounts can be gotten from other FTE members in the "for sale " section of the forum .. Just post your request

5) There are junk yards that operate online and will pull parts but in the case of the cab mounts which are riveted it's going to take some serious cash to motivate them to take off 4 riveted cab mounts ..

6) I've bought rolling solid chassis off craigslist in the $400-$500 range with titles

7) weigh your options .. The frame repair washers and some fabricated cab mounts may not be a good option at the end of the day ..

8) remember every good build starts with a solid frame

Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by redroad
1) look your frame over really carefully to see if it is worth restoring
I've looked over my frame (not carefully) a few times. The only things I've found to be in really bad shape were:

1) Front driver side cab frame mount
2) Rear cab cross-member mount holes

2) There are no new frame parts except maybe spring perches
Yeah, I searched and searched on the internet yesterday... all I came up with is spring perches.

3) cab mounts can be fabricated
Ugh... I'm not a fabricator, but #4 below sounds like a good option for me.

4) Used solid cab mounts can be gotten from other FTE members in the "for sale " section of the forum .. Just post your request
Already got a post from another member selling some frame stuff! :P

5) There are junk yards that operate online and will pull parts but in the case of the cab mounts which are riveted it's going to take some serious cash to motivate them to take off 4 riveted cab mounts ..
Yeah, I've been tempted to pick apart some of the bone yards I've been to (bring a grinder with me)... but it's tough to find a J/Y that will let you use power tools. Online J/Y's are an option tho!

6) I've bought rolling solid chassis off craigslist in the $400-$500 range with titles
Wish I could do stuff like this... In Canada, you don't need the title or anything... but finding a decent frame is pretty rare.

7) weigh your options .. The frame repair washers and some fabricated cab mounts may not be a good option at the end of the day ..
Agreed. I've love to start with factory metal though.. my welding skills are slim to none... I haven't touched a MIG welder in over 5 years.

8) remember every good build starts with a solid frame
Agreed! That's the whole point of my search.

The plan is to get the frame blasted, then remove/repair poor frame pieces. Replace with new stuff or repaired metal. POR-15 everything + Chassis Coat (now called Top Coat) everything. Use 8-grade hardware to re-install.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Tried to PM you but my computer wont let me upload pictures that way, anyway, the parts are from a f350 2wd srw. I measured the frame width and this is the 34" frame, same width as a highboy. My rear cab mounts are the bucket style frame mounted not crossmember mounted, the xmember that I have is 32.5" which should be to narrow for you. The front cab mounts would need to be compared, I can compare them in the morning. heres pics hopefully

rear mounts in foreground front in back, xmember those holes are 13.5" apart

this is my 75 f250 cs rear mounts, turns out to be a lot different than 79 f350

rear of my 79 f350 cab, the cab mount location is obvious and the other 2 holes you see appear to be for crossmember mounts

24" apart

Hope this helps, I was expecting some possible differences but not this many. let me know if anything was useful

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by privateer, eh

Hope this helps, I was expecting some possible differences but not this many. let me know if anything was useful
This does help a lot, thanks privateer!

Looks like you've got some really good front frame/cab mounts (which is what I'm most interested in). What does the metal under those front frame bushings look like? I'm in the market for ones that don't have any cancer under those bushings (holes should be near perfect).

My rear cab mounts are basically holes in the rear xmember (looks really similar to your 75 F250 camper special).

I'll see if I can get some old pics posted up so I can compare my rear xmember to yours.

My truck is a 1978 F150 2WD, so the frame would be a 38" frame. I'd be looking for WIDE (38") frame parts (xmembers specifically) so there's no fab work involved.

EDIT: Here's some photos from my build thread to give you an idea of my rear cab frame xmember (not very good pics, but you get the idea of what my xmember looks like).

Notice the 2 frame bushings are directly incorporated into the cab xmember.

Another picture below, showing the rear cab bushings.

If you want to scour my build thread, see POST #1 for the pics of my frame:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ld-thread.html

Old 08-13-2015, 11:53 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Didn't relize you are from sask. I'm from up by Lloyd and I'm in the process of stripping down a 1978 f350 4x4. Not sure how the cab mounts look yet but I will have the cab off real soon and you could just have the mounts if they are good.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Aaron:
Sounds like you have some options offered by FTE members. I'll be sectioning a 74 F-250 2wd frame, but it will be a while before I get to that point. Assuming the cab mounts are the same, you might keep my contact information in case your other options don't work out.
Eric

Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not sure if 2wds are the same a 4wds but look at these. You can have them. The rear cross member mount is toast though.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:18 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
My rear crossmember is of no use to you as it's for a narrow frame. The front should be in good shape, I don't want to split the bisquits as they are in good shape. I'll put the measure tape to the front ones to see how far the center of the bolt hole is from the frame and compare them to the 250 to make sure they are the same. today is supposed to be the last day of our heatwave so I'm hoping I have a more productive day tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by J ballan
Didn't relize you are from sask. I'm from up by Lloyd and I'm in the process of stripping down a 1978 f350 4x4. Not sure how the cab mounts look yet but I will have the cab off real soon and you could just have the mounts if they are good.
Heck yes I'm from SK! Born and raised

I believe the front cab mounts are the same for all trucks but I'd like someone to chime in on that if possible (hint hint!). I believe it's just the spacing of the frame that differs (34" wide vs 38" wide).

Chassis Comparison - '67-'72 vs. '73-'79 - FORDification.com

Originally Posted by J ballan
Not sure if 2wds are the same a 4wds but look at these. You can have them. The rear cross member mount is toast though.
I love to take those off your hands if the other is in the same shape as well (and they're the same as mine of course).

PM me what you'd want for them!

Originally Posted by privateer, eh
My rear crossmember is of no use to you as it's for a narrow frame. The front should be in good shape, I don't want to split the bisquits as they are in good shape. I'll put the measure tape to the front ones to see how far the center of the bolt hole is from the frame and compare them to the 250 to make sure they are the same. today is supposed to be the last day of our heatwave so I'm hoping I have a more productive day tomorrow.
Okay sounds good!

SK is getting a bit of a heat wave here too. Today was 37 down in Estevan and its 32 up in nipawin on the construction site I'm on! It's a "sticky" day outside!

Originally Posted by resonateur
Aaron:
Sounds like you have some options offered by FTE members. I'll be sectioning a 74 F-250 2wd frame, but it will be a while before I get to that point. Assuming the cab mounts are the same, you might keep my contact information in case your other options don't work out.
Eric
Yes please do keep my contact info. PM me if you want a direct email address to save for future use.

This thread is why I love FTE. So many helpful people.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:43 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Measured the mounts and xmember, crawled under my 250 to make sure everthing was the same and got a pleasant surprise. It appears that the xmembers are the same width or within 7/16" of each other so my rear xmember should work on your truck. There would be cab mount holes to drill and maybe 4 more holes to drill in the top of your frame. If your still interested pm me and we'll work something out. Not trying to get rich but $25 for the 3 peices would be nice.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Just for the record an excellent repair can be done .. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...s-of-pics.html

Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Oh I wish I could pm pictures but it's a headache for various reasons. Got the first bisquit seperated and the second one is almost completely split, I'm a dismantler not a parts destroyer so sometimes it takes a day or 2 to get parts apart. Tell me if you think this is in good shape. I realize that I'm in Calgary but I'm from southern Manitoba so you won't be told something is in perfect shape when in reality it's ready to fall apart. I think these are in pretty good shape.

freshly split, my retirement project is a strange build and I may need the bisquits which is why I'm being carefull about splitting them.

The next 3 pics are thinner washed and wire brushed to show you the shape they're in

I'm doing a paint repair so I need to stay clean until my painting is done, then it's dirty work time

second mount should come apart tomorrow

Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aaron

Again.. come to sunny california
I have a 77 f250 xtracab frame complete rolling chassis... 400/c-6 ..good runner
Complete... 500.00 with a clean oregon title and current oregon reg until 2017
It is a federal smog truck

I cut up trucks you would think are cherry up there....

Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
So this is what they look like, wish I could pm pics but it's a real pita with my computer

The brackets are cleaned but the bushings are as they came apart, no rust, no thin spots holes are round

I can pm okay just cant upload my pics, send a pm and we'll make arrangements. Rear mount xmember appears to be the same frame width but the f350 on looks like a stronger piece, would have to find out from someone else for sure if it will work