1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to replace shocks and bent springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to replace shocks and bent springs?

Looking for some input on what shocks are best for a 2005 F350 with minimal towing, looking for ride comfort so i'm not in a lumber wagon.

The truck has a 4" lift/level which is 3" in the back and 4" pucks in the front.

I do have an issue with my springs being bent a funny angle, and effectively rubbing on the frame carriage bolts making funny noises when flexing a certain way, gets funny looks all the time. I'm wondering if the pucks caused this, stock shocks with a lift? Installed wrong? I noticed most 4" lifts come with a radius arm drop bracket and this truck doesnt have one, possible reasoning?

Can get a picture or two if it helps the explanation

Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Long Haul
Elder User
If it were me I'd ditch the pucks and look at a spring from Icon or Carli if they have something available..

I've run Bilstien shocks and are running Fox 2.0 now w/res...I love the Fox shocks..

all the above stuff doesn't come cheap not sure what your budget is..

Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Well i don't expect it to be expensive regardless doing my own work, but i know those are big names you're throwing out there. I was hoping someone would comment on how to fix the springs, and maybe it's a common issue with wrong installs or something? Not that i know if they are installed wrong or not.
My old shocks are the rancho stocks that came factory i'm sure, with 215,000km now they're pretty greasy and dead. Front end bounces uncomfortably.

Shock wise i'm looking for better replacements, nothing like coilovers with double gas chambers or anything.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Long Haul
Elder User
I've never been impressed with Rancho shocks......Look at the bottom of the shock and see if there is an extension added where they mount up...If not they probably got over extended which probably contributed to them being toast...If they are the originals they were due to be replaced anyway I'd guess..

I can only give opinion based on my experience...Ditch the pucks, get a quality taller spring, and quality shocks to match the spring size....Your truck will ride much better..

*I'm addressing the lumber wagon issue*

and yes poor install is probably causing the rub..

Whats on the back HUGE blocks I'd guess ??

Old 08-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Long Haul
Elder User
bent springs would concern me BTW..

Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Long Haul
I've never been impressed with Rancho shocks......Look at the bottom of the shock and see if there is an extension added where they mount up...If not they probably got over extended which probably contributed to them being toast...If they are the originals they were due to be replaced anyway I'd guess..

I can only give opinion based on my experience...Ditch the pucks, get a quality taller spring, and quality shocks to match the spring size....Your truck will ride much better..

*I'm addressing the lumber wagon issue*

and yes poor install is probably causing the rub..

Whats on the back HUGE blocks I'd guess ??
So springs and shocks will solve the lumber wagon issue, and in turn also the rubbing? do 4" bigger springs match 4 inch pucks? The back has a 3" or 3.5" block i haven't taken a tape measure to it. But i assume a bit smaller to level the truck out. Although when i see the truck on level ground the front always does seem awkwardly high (Unlevel) like in a parking lot.

The stock shocks do not have an extension, but i do know that when the outside gets greasy it usually means they're leaking, or leaked empty.

Also about my radius arm question, should there be a drop bracket for a 4inch lift?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
Quality springs and shocks will help your ride a lot, yes...I would think they would help the rubbing but w/o actually seeing whats going on I'm taking a guess..

Its your call whether or not you want a slight rake or not..

and yes it seems like a quality lift should have a radius arm drop bracket..

Not trying to be a smart *** or anything but it sounds like someone took the cheapest possible route on your lift..

My truck came with Ready Lift already on it when I bought it used..

Big pucks up front, huge blocks in the rear, and Pro Comp shocks...The truck rode terrible and handled even worse......I feel your pain man !!

Bad part is quality stuff doesn't come cheap for these trucks..

Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
look and see if the track bar is stock and if there is a track bar drop bracket....just curious

Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Long Haul
Quality springs and shocks will help your ride a lot, yes...I would think they would help the rubbing but w/o actually seeing whats going on I'm taking a guess..

Its your call whether or not you want a slight rake or not..

and yes it seems like a quality lift should have a radius arm drop bracket..

Not trying to be a smart *** or anything but it sounds like someone took the cheapest possible route on your lift..

My truck came with Ready Lift already on it when I bought it used..

Big pucks up front, huge blocks in the rear, and Pro Comp shocks...The truck rode terrible and handled even worse......I feel your pain man !!

Bad part is quality stuff doesn't come cheap for these trucks..
Im thinking of going down to a 2.5" front end spring to avoid the radius drop arm bracket, what would i need in the back as a block to level out the truck with 2.5" in the front? I would then get rid of the blocks and get new shocks all around to hopefully correct the crappy level the previous owner put in. The springs can only bend so far because its inward and it hits the frame

Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
From what i see from pictures, im not sure of the name of the piece, but there's a rubber puck ontop of stock shops to begin with, but it is not as big as the one i have, but looks identical. I cannot find a lift kit with the same piec

Old 08-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User

This is what I'm dealing with, pictures are better than words

Old 08-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jmoen7

This is what I'm dealing with, pictures are better than words
yep, pics help a great deal..

my guess is those pucks are causing it..

I've never seen anything like that, that would bother me.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Now if i remove those, does the spring just ride on the metal? or am i missing a stock puck?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
Now if i remove those, does the spring just ride on the metal? or am i missing a stock puck?
I'm not real familiar with an '05 but I think there should be a smaller rubber piece that would sit on top of the spring.

Looking at the rust on top of those shocks you may have to cut the threaded shaft (not the shock) to get them off..

Old 08-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Long Haul
Elder User
here you go bud..

part #8

FRONT SUSPENSION for 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Quick Reply: Looking to replace shocks and bent springs?