1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Addicted to Teardowns?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Addicted to Teardowns?

Hello FTE Friends,

Here I go again...
Brief synopsis to catch you up;

2011 - Received truck as gift from Dad and began the frame off tear-down process.

2012 - January Colon Cancer, May Brain Aneurysm, June more Cancer, this time in the Liver, June, succumb to 6 months of Industrial Strength Chemo

2013 - Work on truck while recovering. Got truck running and used mainly for traveling to and from chemo sessions as prescribed by FTE friends.
Tore down engine due to Cam & Distributor gear incompatibility. New 1,800 mile engine rebuilt again.

2014 - Also relocated fuel tank to rear of bed and installed bed-wood. Chemo threatens to damage extremities (Neuropathy) (hands, feet and YES even my manhood). Adult Circumcision - OUCH!

2015 - Tearing down the truck again, this time for IFS. Hopefully done before Sebastian's arrival in September (Sebastian, the new heir).
Entered the 2015 Sequoia Budweiser Classic, was lapped 3 times by the peloton (I had NEVER participated in any organized events and was clearly out of my league), cried ALL of the 17 miles (1 mile lap loop) but mainly due to being unable to control my emotions. You see, the crying was mainly of joy for being able to participate - considering my challenges. The peloton completed 20 laps (miles) in 30 minutes... I did 17 and am very proud I didn't quit! Results here under CRIT Men CAT 5 if interested.
http://www.usacycling.org/results/in...ar=2015&id=882

Now that you've been bored to tears comes my question...

Is it normal for a newly rebuilt engine (twice in my case) to bleed fluids? Oil seems to seep out thru what appears the valve covers and/or possibly the timing chain cover or both. Either way it creates a mess and I don't like it. Other than dropping a newer model engine in the truck (which I am not contemplating, yet!) Is there a way to stop this bleeding or is this the nature of the beast - the beast being a 1978 351W?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

What to do with original front end?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:34 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Congratulations, Paul, on everything you've accomplished and won. As you're aware, anything that uses gaskets to retain fluids is prone to leakage. That said, it still shouldn't leak and make a mess. While everything is apart, it's as good a time as any to regasket the engine. If you're set on changing the suspension out, you're going to have to make new engine mounts and swap the oil pan to a rear sump anyway. So there you go. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...view/make/ford

Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Wow you might not have come in first but you are certainly the big winner!! Congratulations on the bike race.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:15 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Congratulations, Paul, on everything you've accomplished and won. As you're aware, anything that uses gaskets to retain fluids is prone to leakage. That said, it still shouldn't leak and make a mess. While everything is apart, it's as good a time as any to regasket the engine. If you're set on changing the suspension out, you're going to have to make new engine mounts and swap the oil pan to a rear sump anyway. So there you go. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...view/make/ford
Wayne,
Oh my goodness twice!
First, I did not win - unless we are counting in reverse cause I came in dead last - but if you're thinking what I'm thinking... Then you're right. I am a winner!
I didn't even think of the oil pan. Huge thanks for the link too! Got to get to ordering.
Thank you so much!
What would I do without my FTE Friends? Don't answer that!
Paul

Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by dennisb56
Wow you might not have come in first but you are certainly the big winner!! Congratulations on the bike race.
Thank you Dennis. As I recall, it was one of the hardest things I've done in public. Stupid hard but fun!
Paul

Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude, your a winner in my book and there isn't anything boring about a success story like yours, and now a baby it just doesn't get any cooler than that. You have been part of the FTE family long enough to know I'm no mechanic, but I'm thinking your valve cover and water pump leaks might be remedied by using some Permatex along with new quality gaskets. I'm sure this thread will bring in the correct answer by someone more expeierencd than myself. Blessings my friend.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Is the PCV valve hooked up or crankcase vented to atmosphere (road vent tube)? If crankcase is not vented, blowby pressure (common with old and freshly built engines where the rings haven't fully seated) can push oil out the tiniest spaces. Personally I'm not a fan of old style paper gaskets. I like to clean the sealing surfaces completely, and wipe a light film of oil with an oil impregnated rag on one surface only Put a generous bead of high temp RTV silicon sealer on the dry surface, making sure the bead is continuous and surrounds any/all bolt holes and passages. Allow to air dry for ~ 10 min until skin begins to form. Bolt the parts together tightening the bolts only finger tight. Allow to harden overnight then tighten bolts to torque specs. Last engine I rebuilt I only used head and valve cover gaskets (I use the thick rubber valve cover gaskets exclusively and don't overtighten!) without a single weep or leak!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:57 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Dude, your a winner in my book and there isn't anything boring about a success story like yours, and now a baby it just doesn't get any cooler than that. You have been part of the FTE family long enough to know I'm no mechanic, but I'm thinking your valve cover and water pump leaks might be remedied by using some Permatex along with new quality gaskets. I'm sure this thread will bring in the correct answer by someone more expeierencd than myself. Blessings my friend.

Hi Jim,
Haven't made my way up North just yet. I'm thinking there's gonna be some traveling once Sebastian is here and Sacramento, Roseville, Auburn Placerville and the likes will be places to visit as most of the people I know and care about are either there or here on FTE!
I can't wait, Jim! Look out, I may hug you when we FINALLY meet!
Paul

Old 08-05-2015, 04:02 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Is the PCV valve hooked up or crankcase vented to atmosphere (road vent tube)? If crankcase is not vented, blowby pressure (common with old and freshly built engines where the rings haven't fully seated) can push oil out the tiniest spaces. Personally I'm not a fan of old style paper gaskets. I like to clean the sealing surfaces completely, and wipe a light film of oil with an oil impregnated rag on one surface only Put a generous bead of high temp RTV silicon sealer on the dry surface, making sure the bead is continuous and surrounds any/all bolt holes and passages. Allow to air dry for ~ 10 min until skin begins to form. Bolt the parts together tightening the bolts only finger tight. Allow to harden overnight then tighten bolts to torque specs. Last engine I rebuilt I only used head and valve cover gaskets (I use the thick rubber valve cover gaskets exclusively and don't overtighten!) without a single weep or leak!

Ax,
Such detail. How could I possibly go wrong? Don't ask!
Thank you so much. I will ensure to print this and have it with me when putting it back together. Wow, how AWESOME you are! But I bet you knew that already...
Again Thank you Ax!
Paul

Old 08-05-2015, 04:14 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To go what you have gone through and to still have the attitude you do, and to still work and play as hard as you do - That my friend is an inspiration to all of us!
At 64 I just happen to be going for my first ever colonoscopy tomorrow. In part from hearing you story many months ago plus my best friend died in October after fighting colon, liver, and abdominal cancer for over 7 years. They found it too late, having been working in Iraq for 5 years and not seeing doctors. My mother in law died in April also from colon cancer that had spread to her lung and liver. She hadn't been to a doctor in over 30 years and refused until she was 5 days from dying.
So I hope to be cancer free, but if not I will think of you and the way you are going about living!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by topmoo
To go what you have gone through and to still have the attitude you do, and to still work and play as hard as you do - That my friend is an inspiration to all of us!
At 64 I just happen to be going for my first ever colonoscopy tomorrow. In part from hearing you story many months ago plus my best friend died in October after fighting colon, liver, and abdominal cancer for over 7 years. They found it too late, having been working in Iraq for 5 years and not seeing doctors. My mother in law died in April also from colon cancer that had spread to her lung and liver. She hadn't been to a doctor in over 30 years and refused until she was 5 days from dying.
So I hope to be cancer free, but if not I will think of you and the way you are going about living!

Respectfully... I Love ALL of my FTE friends!
Mijo, you are doing the right thing. In today's day and age, the meds to combat this THING have improved a great deal. Not that you will need it.
You my friend, will come out unscathed from your Colonoscopy. That is what I will be requesting in my prayers until I hear your wonderful news. Keep positive.
Your FTE friend,
Paul
PS. My condolences to you and yours.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
How ingenious, I'm guessing the oiling of one surface will allow easy separation of the two components later, and your method of tightening will allow the sealant to conform to any imperfections on both surfaces? Thanks for sharing that trick, Ill try it.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ImSoQuazy
Respectfully... I Love ALL of my FTE friends!
Mijo, you are doing the right thing. In today's day and age, the meds to combat this THING have improved a great deal. Not that you will need it.
You my friend, will come out unscathed from your Colonoscopy. That is what I will be requesting in my prayers until I hear your wonderful news. Keep positive.
Your FTE friend,
Paul
PS. My condolences to you and yours.
Thanks! I just got back from my 5AM procedure. One small polyp and clean bill of health. And I am sending all my good wishes for you, and staying tuned to your build! The best to you!