Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Loss of speed/power need help long read

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 PM
al0311
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of speed/power need help long read

hi all. So here is the story with my 2001 7.3. For he last few months I have been having a few issues With it. First, the idle drops when I brake it drops so much the truck almost stalls but catches it self and idles fine it keeps doing this while braked. Furthermore, it only does it once the truck has been driven for a while say 40 minutes. It also does it when it is put into reverse. I think it might be an issue with the transmission or tq dropping Rpms from not being able to downshift into the right gear when braking. But, Iam not sure any input would be great ?????

Okay now for issues number 2. Recently I have been driving my truck and noticed a lot of power loss. Like I will drop from 40 to 25 mph going up a incline the truck doesn't smoke or any thing going up the incline but just seems to struggle hard. Once on flat road it runs pretty smooth but still has the issue of limited power. I'm starching my head at this one.
Okay now a list Of things I have checked to see if it's the issue
-replaced icp and pigtails
-whole new engine wiring harness to to previous owner splicing and running wires all over
- new ebps Sensor and tube
-new fuel filter and air filter
- new glow plugs and Uvch and glow plug solenoid
-new thermostat
-recent oil change
-changed the ipr valve but once I put s new one in it the truck ran horrible now I have the stock one back in and the truck runs the same.

So long story to the end. Iam not sure where to begin to try to fix this. I don't have a scan tool. I checked the up pipes behind the turbo and they look to be pretty dirty so maybe a turbo leak? I plan on testing the fuel pressure and see how that does would that tell me if the fuel bowel or the frame pump is bad ?Could it still be the icp or ipr and I just got a bad one?

Sorry this is a long read but Iam stumped lol thanks to whoever reads all this and might give me some help
Cheers al

Old 08-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
We are all dozens, hundreds, or thousands of miles away from the ability to see, hear, feel, or smell the truck. I'm not saying we can't help you, I'm saying there is a limit as to how deep we can look without some numbers from the engine. You describe symptoms of a bad ICP, but you say you put a new one in (I assume OEM?). Now I'm curious what the ICP, IPR, EBP, and MAP readings are - but we have no way to know. If you had something like Torque Pro or AutoEnginuity (ability to log data), we could likely take one look and say "Ah... your aftermarket ICP is lying" or "Ah... you likely have bad injector O-rings"

If you click the BEST link in my signature, you may find someone with a scan tool nearby.

In the mean time, somebody will drop by the thread with some questions for you to help isolate the problem. While you're waiting, you may want to inspect your air filter and your MAP hose, then unplug the ICP connector to see if that helps. You might even want to search the term "Cody test".

Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The first thing I was going to say is did you unplug the icp and start it then? Results?

Like Tugly said, he needs data to help you out more.

Also, the parts you replaced were they with OEM parts?