1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The more I think about it, we have a 2 ton rotary chain hoist that could be mounted horizontally. This would be the best bet, unless someone has a winch we could borrow and mount with long leads.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Nate, you should be able to count me in. I wish I could give you 100% right now, but our life is in transition and I can't let you know until closer to the end of the month. Wife ok'd it and everything else sounds like a plan. I just have to see where we are with moving and scheduling towards the end of the month. This getting pretty cool to see!!

If I am still in CA around then, I may just get a flight from there and have Aaron pick me up. I just won't know until closer to the date. Sorry for the delay! As far as skill, I am comfortable tackling and helping most anywhere except anything that has to do with a voltmeter! I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am stoked to see this happening! Seems like just yesterday we sprawled out to Todds to thrash on his truck!

As of right this second I should be fine to make it, but my realtor said last night they accepted my verbal offer and we are writing up the sales contract today... As you guys with homes know it isn't official until its written up and the inspection/bank approves but I am in high hopes(this house has a shop with a lift!). So if this goes through I could be closing on a house right around then.... in which all bank accounts will be empty. I might still be able to drive the TDI out there thanks to 50 mpg.

But if I can make it I can do the 38 gal tank swap and vent mod(If Glenn wants to). I also can service the rear diff, axle seals, and drum brakes.... had to do that after RRE! That'll keep me away from the engine bay.
Edit: I have read about a few air ride setups, but somebody would have to help me with that.

If I can make it and can afford to drive the truck (or cram the smoker in the TDI) I could easily bring a 14lb brisket or pork shoulder to smoke and feed the guys one night.
This is all pending me coming.

If I can't make it I am also willing to send any sort of parts/fluids along for the cause with Thomas!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Thanks for the shipping to your place. This campground, even though they are being nice, is probably getting tired of me getting stuff here. Like washing machine parts, LOL.

Yes, I have the complete exhaust including hangers off the mare. It will have to be shorten a little because of the CC and EC length difference.

As far as the intake boot off the s366, should I contact Irate about this or is there another source for these?

As far as the trans cooler goes, in between now and the 12th we will go to Patty's family near Manistee for a visit and maybe to the UP. What bothers me is just cruising down the freeway light my scan gauge was showing 205° trans temp. I hate to see what it will do with the 5er on. The way I mounted it was to loosen the bumper bolts and slip the 6.0 coolers brackets under the bolts and let it hang down. Its all the way up to the sway bar but I did put a heavy screen over the bottom to help protect it. Maybe I can just see what it will do then decide if I need to put it on or not.

Yes, I have to order another FS2500 filter.

I'll have to make a 'Clay' list of what's needed. Replacing O rings in oil plugs sounds like a good idea and also pedestal O rings. CCV mod is good. I'll ask Jim about the injector O rings, I'm sure he puts new ones on and I can rob some old pink ones.

I'm relativity sure the Hydra push button is OK, it got smoked though. The bottoms feel OK anyway. I was thinking about just putting in the mare's PCM with clean retined contacts that Rich did for me because I screwed up cleaning them. Both 97 auto's so I would think they are the same.

I can get ahold of Tony, Powerstruck, Gearhead and well, forget the last one. We sorta departed on bad terms. LOL Yes, Darin has this down pat, I have dreams about going up hill with 40 lbs boost and EGT's under control!!

I have a come-along, we'll get it done. Todd and I will talk but between now and the 22nd we will go to Baltimore to see my daughter. We'll be gone for about eight days but would like to help Todd if I'm here. After the 22nd we will go north until this wonderful event takes place. Oh, I'll leave the brake booster in for brakes, LOL

I'll get ahold of those folks about the oil, I didn't think it was necessary to drain the trans but they did. It was just serviced before this trip. I emailed John again with the picture of the trans to see if he thought the seals should be replaced.

Swamps IDM goes in also, no big deal.

As I type this I'm starting to feel guilty. People who are always asking other people to do stuff for them I call 'users'. I hope I'm not becoming a user. I'm just really taken back by all this.

I'm off now to the little trailer to get turbo and injectors. Nate, I might have to bring the little trailer down separate because of bringing down the Geo with the 5er. I don't see any other way unless Todd brings down a mile long trailer, LOL!!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I can pretty much guarantee I won't be anywhere near 50 mpg pulling the Mallard. Great white won't be making the trip either. A certain friends green machine more than likely will be making the trip though. Taking delivery of that this weekend.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Okay fellas, It sounds like the weekend of September 12th, 2015 is the date for this GTG / wrenching shindig. The location will be my place in Wooster, OH (for those of you Googling directions). I'll post more specific location as the time draws near.

I'm admittedly a list making spreadsheet freak, so I'll probably organize all of this on a spreadsheet so we can do the best we can to keep all out waterfowl in a linear arrangement.

Read, GO!!

Barring a catastrophe at work I should be game.

I wouldn't necessarily put my name next to a project. I might be bettersuited for the pizza run/sub run. Grabbing tools as need or an extra hand holding things… trust me I can stay out of the way…

This is kind of a learning experience for me so: I would kind of like to seehow injectors go in/come out, water pump, high pressure oil pump, andefuel.

I will probably have the most fuel efficient vehicle there next to thegeo...

I should note that I will have to work Sunday so this will be an up and backSaturday only.

You may want to make a list of places to eat (pizza shops sub shops) so wecan vote on what to eat which day.... Obviously your opinion on best placeslends a lot of weight.

Do we have an estimated start time Saturday? It 2.5hrs up so I can be there as early as 8am.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Count me as a definite maybe.

If I'm there, about the only thing on the list I have experience with is tranny swaps. Iv got no problem rolling around on the ground lol. And being a 2wd means it'll be fairly straight forward

Old 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Nate, you should be able to count me in. I wish I could give you 100% right now, but our life is in transition and I can't let you know until closer to the end of the month. Wife ok'd it and everything else sounds like a plan. I just have to see where we are with moving and scheduling towards the end of the month. This getting pretty cool to see!!

If I am still in CA around then, I may just get a flight from there and have Aaron pick me up. I just won't know until closer to the date. Sorry for the delay! As far as skill, I am comfortable tackling and helping most anywhere except anything that has to do with a voltmeter! I'll keep you posted.
I'll pencil you in. That's a long trip and a lot of expense to get your hands greasy, but if you want to make the trek, we'll be happy to have you. For what it's worth, CAK (Akron-Canton Airport) is only about 30 minutes from the house and it's super easy to get into and out of. You might check flights there as well.

What are you doing back in "the land of fruits and nuts"?

Originally Posted by Awitte58
I am stoked to see this happening! Seems like just yesterday we sprawled out to Todds to thrash on his truck!

As of right this second I should be fine to make it, but my realtor said last night they accepted my verbal offer and we are writing up the sales contract today... As you guys with homes know it isn't official until its written up and the inspection/bank approves but I am in high hopes(this house has a shop with a lift!). So if this goes through I could be closing on a house right around then.... in which all bank accounts will be empty. I might still be able to drive the TDI out there thanks to 50 mpg.

But if I can make it I can do the 38 gal tank swap and vent mod(If Glenn wants to). I also can service the rear diff, axle seals, and drum brakes.... had to do that after RRE! That'll keep me away from the engine bay.
Edit: I have read about a few air ride setups, but somebody would have to help me with that.

If I can make it and can afford to drive the truck (or cram the smoker in the TDI) I could easily bring a 14lb brisket or pork shoulder to smoke and feed the guys one night.
This is all pending me coming.

If I can't make it I am also willing to send any sort of parts/fluids along for the cause with Thomas!
I'll pencil you in as well. If you can make it, that would be great. If you bring the smoker and a brisket, that would be EVEN BETTER!

Once again, my remarks in red
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Thanks for the shipping to your place. This campground, even though they are being nice, is probably getting tired of me getting stuff here. Like washing machine parts, LOL.

That's no problem at all. That's the easy part!

Yes, I have the complete exhaust including hangers off the mare. It will have to be shorten a little because of the CC and EC length difference.

I have a band saw that will make short work of that job!

As far as the intake boot off the s366, should I contact Irate about this or is there another source for these?

I'm no help here. I'd talk to Aaron, Bill, Darrin, or anybody else that has done the S366 kit themselves.

As far as the trans cooler goes, in between now and the 12th we will go to Patty's family near Manistee for a visit and maybe to the UP. What bothers me is just cruising down the freeway light my scan gauge was showing 205° trans temp. I hate to see what it will do with the 5er on. The way I mounted it was to loosen the bumper bolts and slip the 6.0 coolers brackets under the bolts and let it hang down. Its all the way up to the sway bar but I did put a heavy screen over the bottom to help protect it. Maybe I can just see what it will do then decide if I need to put it on or not.

Does the trans actually have a temp sensor in it on the OBS? I kind of recall reading that the TFT reading from the OBS was just based upon some screwy calculation that the gauge uses. When you had a real analog gauge on the other trucks did they agree with the scan gauge?

Yes, I have to order another FS2500 filter.

Feel free to have that shipped here as well if you like.

I'll have to make a 'Clay' list of what's needed. Replacing O rings in oil plugs sounds like a good idea and also pedestal O rings. CCV mod is good. I'll ask Jim about the injector O rings, I'm sure he puts new ones on and I can rob some old pink ones.

I have old injector o-rings as well, so we can rob some of them for the CCV.

I'm relativity sure the Hydra push button is OK, it got smoked though. The bottoms feel OK anyway. I was thinking about just putting in the mare's PCM with clean retined contacts that Rich did for me because I screwed up cleaning them. Both 97 auto's so I would think they are the same.

PCM Swapping isn't an issue, but are all your tunes on the Hydra or do you have another chip you've been using? If all the Hydra needs is a button, we can probably work with that.

I can get ahold of Tony, Powerstruck, Gearhead and well, forget the last one. We sorta departed on bad terms. LOL Yes, Darin has this down pat, I have dreams about going up hill with 40 lbs boost and EGT's under control!!

I have a come-along, we'll get it done. Todd and I will talk but between now and the 22nd we will go to Baltimore to see my daughter. We'll be gone for about eight days but would like to help Todd if I'm here. After the 22nd we will go north until this wonderful event takes place. Oh, I'll leave the brake booster in for brakes, LOL

Good call!

I'll get ahold of those folks about the oil, I didn't think it was necessary to drain the trans but they did. It was just serviced before this trip. I emailed John again with the picture of the trans to see if he thought the seals should be replaced.

Swamps IDM goes in also, no big deal.

As I type this I'm starting to feel guilty. People who are always asking other people to do stuff for them I call 'users'. I hope I'm not becoming a user. I'm just really taken back by all this.

Believe me, Glenn, you're not a "user". We're doing this because we volunteered to help a brother out. Where I come from that's what good neighbors do.

I'm off now to the little trailer to get turbo and injectors. Nate, I might have to bring the little trailer down separate because of bringing down the Geo with the 5er. I don't see any other way unless Todd brings down a mile long trailer, LOL!!

That would be fine too. I can put it in out of the weather and it will be safe and sound here until we get started.
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Yeah I can pretty much guarantee I won't be anywhere near 50 mpg pulling the Mallard. Great white won't be making the trip either. A certain friends green machine more than likely will be making the trip though. Taking delivery of that this weekend.
Are you buying JP's truck?

Originally Posted by lee00
Barring a catastrophe at work I should be game.

I wouldn't necessarily put my name next to a project. I might be bettersuited for the pizza run/sub run. Grabbing tools as need or an extra hand holding things… trust me I can stay out of the way…

This is kind of a learning experience for me so: I would kind of like to seehow injectors go in/come out, water pump, high pressure oil pump, andefuel.

I will probably have the most fuel efficient vehicle there next to thegeo...

I should note that I will have to work Sunday so this will be an up and backSaturday only.

You may want to make a list of places to eat (pizza shops sub shops) so wecan vote on what to eat which day.... Obviously your opinion on best placeslends a lot of weight.

Do we have an estimated start time Saturday? It 2.5hrs up so I can be there as early as 8am.
Thanks, Lee. I've got you on the list as well. And don't worry, you won't go hungry in Wooster!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:37 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Go ahead and put me down as a yes! Iv got the all clear from my financial advisor

Ill load up my toolbox as well just in case

Also, Nate, Ill be bringing the pop-a-top with me. If I could park on your place, thatd be fantastic. Itd be nice to have an electric hook-up but its not necessary (unless its unbearably hot). If push came to shove, I can use propane to cook my meals. Jus lemme know!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:50 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm tentatively saying I'll be there, gotta clear it with my financial advisor, but she loves all you guys, so I can't see any objection. Worse comes to worst, I'll just drive out to your house for the day and go home in the evening. For those travelling from the west, my house is 3 hours from Nate, if you need a pit stop or a place to stay overnight on the way there or back.

As for things I can do: Swapping injectors, WP, pulling stock turbo... Lots more I'm sure. I can study my air bag system real close so I can do that too.

It looks like we'll have enough help to run 3 shifts, lol.

Glenn, do you want to switch to SD valve cover harnesses? I can do that too.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Are you buying JP's truck?
Yes, I am. Great White is not up for any more long trips until that axle is dealt with.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Go ahead and put me down as a yes! Iv got the all clear from my financial advisor

Ill load up my toolbox as well just in case

Also, Nate, Ill be bringing the pop-a-top with me. If I could park on your place, thatd be fantastic. Itd be nice to have an electric hook-up but its not necessary (unless its unbearably hot). If push came to shove, I can use propane to cook my meals. Jus lemme know!
Good deal, JP. I've got you on the list. What do you need for electric, just 20 A 120 or more than that?

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I'm tentatively saying I'll be there, gotta clear it with my financial advisor, but she loves all you guys, so I can't see any objection. Worse comes to worst, I'll just drive out to your house for the day and go home in the evening. For those travelling from the west, my house is 3 hours from Nate, if you need a pit stop or a place to stay overnight on the way there or back.

As for things I can do: Swapping injectors, WP, pulling stock turbo... Lots more I'm sure. I can study my air bag system real close so I can do that too.

It looks like we'll have enough help to run 3 shifts, lol.

Glenn, do you want to switch to SD valve cover harnesses? I can do that too.
Thanks Phil. I'll put you on the list as well. My only concern is that we don't have too many people for the space available to work in. You can only get so many guys under one hood.... Maybe I'll find some other dirty jobs I need done, just in case....

Yes, I am. Great White is not up for any more long trips until that axle is dealt with.
Good for you, it's a good 'ol truck. Add one more to the fleet, eh?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Good for you, it's a good 'ol truck. Add one more to the fleet, eh?
Na, more like replacement. lol. Im only down to 4.

1. The 97
2. The 96
3. The Matador
4. The Ambassador

I just make it sound like I own a fleet. Lol.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Na, more like replacement. lol. Im only down to 4.

1. The 97
2. The 96
3. The Matador
4. The Ambassador

I just make it sound like I own a fleet. Lol.
I see. You hadn't updated your sig for a while so I thought you still had the IDI.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
All Ill need is a normal 15a 120v outlet. Thats all I used at Aarons and I was even running the AC.

Likin the new sig Thomas!

Quick Reply: The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"