Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 7.3 died while at a stoplight....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 7.3 died while at a stoplight....

My one owner 2001 7.3l F350 w/ 265K miles died a few days ago at a traffic light. First time it has ever died on me other than a CPS. This dieing was an almost instantaneous with no CEL light, unlike the CPS's hiccuping and dash light up. I put it in park and it started right back up like normal. I continued about my errands and made it home. I have since driven it two more times the same distance and it has not died. I may be jumping the gun here but I am about to make a 10 round trip hour trip to my deer lease in a week and wanted to make sure I ask you knowledgeable folks if you have ever had a similar dieing and not had subsequent problems. I know this stuff can pop rear its ugly head so I wanted to try to head anything off at the pass.

What I have done on this truck the past year.

-Replaced ICP -3/14
-Rebuilt IPR and checked IPR plug -6/14
-Replaced fuel filter every 7500 miles and I am probably due another
one of those now
-Replaced air filter - 4/15
-Cleaned out both the sensor and the exhaust back pressure tube
-replaced CPS w/ dark blue unit from RiffRaff in -8/14
-checked main harness over driver valve cover and placed a piece of
heavy duty wire cover wrap where they touch the valve cover -8/14

UVWH replace in 2008

Have a new IPR and pigtail coming just because I wanted to eliminate a bad solenoid on it.

Is there anything else yall might suggest I can check....or am I concerned for no reason? I also have a Torque Pro w/ blue tooth adapter on an LG tablet that I have yet to set up....but am working on it Will the truck throw any codes if the CEL didn't light up?

I guess I'm really just looking for some direction and some experiences. You guys have been fantastic in the past and I'm here again looking for some wisdom.. Thanks all..

Old 08-04-2015, 05:16 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Check your oil level, though that is unlikely given the absence of repeated cut-offs. All the same, it's a no-cost and simple check, and I hear over and over and over again that low oil level is often a culprit for bad running and pull-to-a-stop engine cut-offs.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Often a bad cam position sensor won't set a DTC. It could be that again. There's no real way to tell unless you get a no start condition. In that case, you'd see zero RPMs on a scan tool while cranking.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250_
Check your oil level, though that is unlikely given the absence of repeated cut-offs. All the same, it's a no-cost and simple check, and I hear over and over and over again that low oil level is often a culprit for bad running and pull-to-a-stop engine cut-offs.
Oil is 2/3rds up the full area do the dipstick...thanks for the reply..

Originally Posted by Pikachu
Often a bad cam position sensor won't set a DTC. It could be that again. There's no real way to tell unless you get a no start condition. In that case, you'd see zero RPMs on a scan tool while cranking.
OK I'll keep that in mind....I was just going off my own CPS failure. I have a spare and the tools if needed...thank you.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd swap the cps with a new one just to make sure, cheap, easy fix.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
I had a similar problem and found lose grounds on the drivers battery. This solved my issue. It was a duh moment.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
I had a similar problem and found lose grounds on the drivers battery. This solved my issue. It was a duh moment.

So it just died Jesser sitting there?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Drenalin
So it just died Jesser sitting there?

In 3 years it's happened twice. One I had exited off the interstate and came to a stop to turn. Died on me, restated and made it home to find the losse motor ground.

The other time I was running down the road at 80mph, lay my foot off the gas and it died. I coasted to sode of the road and found a loose connection at the battery.

Both scared me

Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
In 3 years it's happened twice. One I had exited off the interstate and came to a stop to turn. Died on me, restated and made it home to find the losse motor ground.

The other time I was running down the road at 80mph, lay my foot off the gas and it died. I coasted to sode of the road and found a loose connection at the battery.

Both scared me

OK...I'm going to check all my grounds now. Thank you.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
i remember in the army we would remove the battery cables on the trucks to clean them, clean terminals, re install cables on terminals, tighten down and smear grease on them. We did this ever 6 months. guess there is a lot of good info here.. battery cables get loose and dirty.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Checked my cables...they seemed to be pretty good and clean I did get a half turn on one negative cable.

Got my new IPR and pigtail in today. Trying to decide if I need to install this or wait for a DNS if it happens. I guess I'll just install it so I shouldn't have to worry about the coil for awhile.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:27 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I vote CPS as well

Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Would a CPS do a single hiccup at idle after 5 miles, die, then immediately start up and continue running for the trip and two more 10 mile roundtrips afterwards? Keeping in mind of course the CPS is 8 months old.

On another note, I just got a new IPR in today and the pigtail. Installing that in the AM.

Had a fella suggest to be that since I just rebuilt the IPR a year ago and completely cleaned it out while replacing the O-rings that I should just swap out the old solenoid that is possibly going bad first. That way there is no oil spilled or mess. Thoughts?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Drenalin
Would a CPS do a single hiccup at idle after 5 miles, die, then immediately start up and continue running for the trip and two more 10 mile roundtrips afterwards? Keeping in mind of course the CPS is 8 months
Yes a CPS can do that. Which CPS do you have in there?

Old 08-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Originally Posted by JT250
Yes a CPS can do that. Which CPS do you have in there?
I have the dark blue one from RiffRaff....Installed 8/14

I changed out just the coil on the IPR this AM since the rest of it is pretty freshly rebuilt. Drove a 25 mile round trip and there were no cutoffs again.

Would an IPR coil change out make the truck run smoother and quieter? Sure seemed like it today. Maybe it was my imagination

Quick Reply: 2001 7.3 died while at a stoplight....