6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 Ford F350 6.7 Turbo Diesel - Shuddering & Shaking

Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 PM
parhaaw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danloc
My truck is fairly new. Its a 2015 Ford F350 with 6000 Miles. I live on the east coast in a 4 seasons climate. Its summer the average temp. is in the lower 90's.

Recently, I have noticed that my truck has been shuddering and shaking between 5th & 6th gear.

It started when I was changing lanes; I tried to accelerate going about 45mph, and shuddering real hard. It was difficult to maintain my speed on a level surface. It was almost a total loss of power with no trouble codes.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Unfortunately, I have experienced the same thing with my 2013. I am getting ready to make my fourth trip to the dealer in the last 10 months. And I actually parked mine during the winter believing it was a result of the heat. My last dealer attempt involved a power control module re-programming. I have been back in my truck since May, and I thought the problem was solved until it happened earlier this week. I love my truck, and so this is very frustrating. I can't replicate or tell when it is going to happen again. I will say this time it occurred during regen. I can't say that I noticed that before. I am disappointed to hear that the 2015 models are still having the same problem. I will say the Ford Service Rep here, Crystal, is very helpful. Unfortunately this is seems to be a problem that has not been totally figured out. In November of 2013 myself and two of my friends bought F250 6.7 crews. Two of three of us are having the same problem. The other one of us with a problem has already traded his. I really don't want to go down that road!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:32 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User

Originally Posted by danloc
My truck is fairly new. Its a 2015 Ford F350 with 6000 Miles. I live on the east coast in a 4 seasons climate. Its summer the average temp. is in the lower 90's.

Recently, I have noticed that my truck has been shuddering and shaking between 5th & 6th gear.

It started when I was changing lanes; I tried to accelerate going about 45mph, and shuddering real hard. It was difficult to maintain my speed on a level surface. It was almost a total loss of power with no trouble codes.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Mine started doing this out of the blue today with 20562 miles on the ODO. Has there been any determination as to cause?

I also want to note that this didn't occur during regen and it didn't pop a CEL and no codes are stored.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:54 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
Mine started doing this out of the blue today with 20562 miles on the ODO. Has there been any determination as to cause?

I also want to note that this didn't occur during regen and it didn't pop a CEL and no codes are stored.
Are you sure you didn't miss the quick 'cleaning exhaust' sign that popped up. easy to miss. Because you would be the first person to have this happen outside of a regen.

It is certainly a regen related issue, and no matter what you read, there is no concise conclusion as to why it happens. Ford says they will fix this issue with a computer update in march of 2016, but in the meantime they will spend $1000's of dollars to replace your head/valves if you wish. So confusing.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:59 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User

Originally Posted by zeroo
Are you sure you didn't miss the quick 'cleaning exhaust' sign that popped up. easy to miss. Because you would be the first person to have this happen outside of a regen.

It is certainly a regen related issue, and no matter what you read, there is no concise conclusion as to why it happens. Ford says they will fix this issue with a computer update in march of 2016, but in the meantime they will spend $1000's of dollars to replace your head/valves in the meantime if you wish. So confusing.
I am about 99% positive that it wasn't during a regen because my truck regen'd about 45 minutes earlier. Unless the regen lasted that long which I don't think it did because my mileage was at about 17 on the instant MPG while this happened.

Confused!!! Thinking delete

Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 PM
parhaaw
New User
Mine shuddering has not necessarily been occurring around regen, sometimes yes sometimes no. I actually spoke with a Ford engineer today after making my final repair request under our state's lemon law and he said based on my description of the problem, he believes it to be the torque converter. He said he had a truck last year with the exact same symptoms and they used a data recorder to determine it was a faulty torque converter. So I am scheduled to get that installed next week... we shall see.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 PM
badgeking
New User
first time ever posting to one of these forums. but after reading all the info about peoples problems with there 2015 I need to find some help. bought a new 2015 f350 platinum back in September 0f 14 took the truck in around 9000 miles told dealer the check engine light came on and went into limp mode code was p207f had to borrow code reader at auto zone 250 miles from home to read and clear code. dealer called said they could not find any codes (ya I had to clear them to get home)
then around 15000 miles truck started running really bad went into limp mode only 5 miles from dealer took it in. they did a reflash on the pcm. picked up the truck then had to do long run to salt lake city and back 4000 miles round trip. fuel mileage was only 11.3 and went trough 4 2.5 gallon cans of DEF. got home driving around town for a week fuel mileage down to 10.3 and Monday dam CEL again took it to dealer they had to replace NOX sensor. I have less than 25000 miles on truck and its been in the shop 3 times already I see all these TSB that ford now has out along with all these stories out on the WWW about these 2015 and regen issues. is this truck realy this bad? I travel coast to coast and need to have reliable transportation can't afford to be stuck on the road some were. and with less than 12k left on warranty what happens after that? any info anyone can chime in with would be great.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badgeking
first time ever posting to one of these forums. but after reading all the info about peoples problems with there 2015 I need to find some help. bought a new 2015 f350 platinum back in September 0f 14 took the truck in around 9000 miles told dealer the check engine light came on and went into limp mode code was p207f had to borrow code reader at auto zone 250 miles from home to read and clear code. dealer called said they could not find any codes (ya I had to clear them to get home)
then around 15000 miles truck started running really bad went into limp mode only 5 miles from dealer took it in. they did a reflash on the pcm. picked up the truck then had to do long run to salt lake city and back 4000 miles round trip. fuel mileage was only 11.3 and went trough 4 2.5 gallon cans of DEF. got home driving around town for a week fuel mileage down to 10.3 and Monday dam CEL again took it to dealer they had to replace NOX sensor. I have less than 25000 miles on truck and its been in the shop 3 times already I see all these TSB that ford now has out along with all these stories out on the WWW about these 2015 and regen issues. is this truck realy this bad? I travel coast to coast and need to have reliable transportation can't afford to be stuck on the road some were. and with less than 12k left on warranty what happens after that? any info anyone can chime in with would be great.
Well, I doubt all the things you are reading are true about the rattle in regen.
I have been following many of the threads on other forums. Nearly all the posts are made by users who post 1 or 2 times, and are never heard from again. I would guess it is 1 or 2 disgruntled owners setting up multiple shill accounts. I've seen it before on other forums.
The numbers of trucks may not be real, but the problem is. Apparently there is a fix coming next year for the affected trucks.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 PM
expeditor97
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ricohman
Well, I doubt all the things you are reading are true about the rattle in regen.
I have been following many of the threads on other forums. Nearly all the posts are made by users who post 1 or 2 times, and are never heard from again. I would guess it is 1 or 2 disgruntled owners setting up multiple shill accounts. I've seen it before on other forums.
The numbers of trucks may not be real, but the problem is. Apparently there is a fix coming next year for the affected trucks.
This is the second or third time I read this response of yours. Do you really believe there is one dude having this problem and creating multiple accounts on different forums to complain?...seriously?....Do you think that one guy has the power to make ford issue 3 or 4 separate tsbs, concerning this one issue?...How many separate valve jack hammering "issues" does it take for ford to issue a tsb..1?...10?....100?...1000?...10000?....how about 3 or 4 tsb's for the same issue?....Do you believe that Ford issued several TSB's based on 1 or 2 complaints?...Im just trying to find logic in your statement...(or at the very least trying to figure out how you came to YOUR conclusion)

Old 09-15-2015, 12:44 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Rattle is not a good description of it.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
Wonder if high humidity has anything to do with it.

The CAC (intercooler) is different then in previous motors so don't know if that has a thing to do with it.
Not sure high humidity would be the cause or I'm sure I would have had this problem.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by expeditor97
This is the second or third time I read this response of yours. Do you really believe there is one dude having this problem and creating multiple accounts on different forums to complain?...seriously?....Do you think that one guy has the power to make ford issue 3 or 4 separate tsbs, concerning this one issue?...How many separate valve jack hammering "issues" does it take for ford to issue a tsb..1?...10?....100?...1000?...10000?....how about 3 or 4 tsb's for the same issue?....Do you believe that Ford issued several TSB's based on 1 or 2 complaints?...Im just trying to find logic in your statement...(or at the very least trying to figure out how you came to YOUR conclusion)
I'm pretty sure he wasn't stating that one guy is creating all the threads and posts. People sometimes create multiple accounts and hop around hoping that different forums will provide different answers. It's actually a good idea, but doing so floods the web with issues making them seam far more widespread than they really are. I believe his point is that a few people bring the issue up quite a bit (rightly so), but that doesn't mean there's a pandemic going around. People that have major issues tend to scream the loudest, it's just human nature. Again, doesn't mean everyone should worry the sky is falling. It's very unfortunate for those who have the problem, but they make up a very small percentage of SDs on the road. You are far far more likely to have a trouble free truck rather than a truck that displays one of these issues.

If these trucks were that bad, I wouldn't have just traded in my 2011 Lariat with 25k miles, never having any real problems (except needing to drain and put fresh DEF in, and the power folding mirrors failing) for a 2016 F450.

My neighbor is a Border Patrol Agent and has a 2014 XLT SD 6.7, but doesn't ever go online. He isn't scared of problems because he doesn't read about them like we do....

Old 09-15-2015, 07:03 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by IronCobra
My neighbor is a Border Patrol Agent and has a 2014 XLT SD 6.7, but doesn't ever go online. He isn't scared of problems because he doesn't read about them like we do....
And I would say there are many people dealing with this issue that never come to these boards or go to the internet for info.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I reading this board and other forums.

In reading this forum and others, I have noticed over the 6 years, that problems spike up then die down to zero. Last year we kept reading about HPFS failures due to water in fuel. Now I don't see very many of the HPFS problems. Not saying people are trolls but they sure show up again and again. This is a real problem that needs to be address for sure.
Ford needs to fixed.

Iron, I Love you new truck. Color me jealous.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:27 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Seems to me that there is an effort to keep this issue alive here. Either by creating new threads or posting in old threads. I'm sure this is an issue for some but hard to know the actual size/scope of the issue. Seems that some should trade their trucks and move on. No amount of work by Ford is going to make them happy.

Bruce...

Old 09-15-2015, 03:19 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Updated:

Ford's position is that for some reason, the valve heads on the left cylinder bank that are involved in the regeneration process are getting coked up with burnt oil/soot in the regeneration process around the 4000 to 5000 mile point during engine break in.

If that occurs, the problem will not fix itself. The engine will need to be torn down with at least the valves replaced and better off to replace the entire left head assembly.

The TSB that in slated for 2nd quarter 2016 will NOT fix any issue that already has the issue. It will only hopefully prevent new trucks, or trucks that have not had the issue from ever developing the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Ford F350 6.7 Turbo Diesel - Shuddering & Shaking