1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Great "Stocker" Or "Dark Side" debate

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:12 AM
atticmole
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you stockers know, you may have gained a reluctant convert, I was heading to the Dark Side before I started reading FTE, And got Y Block Fever. Also knowing I have a such a Good, no GREAT, source for info and trouble shooting with FTE helped. And something about staying true to the Trucks roots appeals to me.

Now I gotta be fair, if I could afford to go to the Dark side it may be different. But me being one who has always been good at making the best out of what I have, am doing just that. I have a truck that is in pretty decent shape and that I could clean up and make a nice looking and running truck with less work and money by keeping it stock. (Money being a big factor for me, as I'm sure it is for alot of you).

Is my thinking flawed? (About This)

Also how far away from stock takes me to the "Dark Side"? Is there a Middle ground, or a Canyon, between them?? How about some old style alum mags? or valve covers?

In the end I know it comes down to what I like and want to do, But Im curious where the line is. ( If there is one)?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:32 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry... if you have been reading posts in this forum as carefully as you suggest, it must have occurred to you that everything from the attempts at humor to the downright squirting milk out your nose funny posts indicate only a lighter side. There is no dark side.
In our very human way we are compelled to limit, arrange, organize, classify, analyze and otherwise narrowly identify with our trucks. Some go so far as to name them. The passion rises so high in others that their trucks "speak" to them.
Looking for the line that separates "them" from "us" is futile. Go dig out those old mags and clean them up... drop down to the nearest hardware store and stock up on dresser drawer *****... free yourself from girly fears that George might condemn you for making a poor paint choice ... or that Fergy will "name" you as he has Butch and Nancy.
Stand tall, Larry. We know you can do it... and be sure you let us know what kind of bonehead choices you make. No matter what they are... they offer material for the comedians here at the lighter side. Best. Himmelberg

Old 08-01-2003, 06:00 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

"Is my thinking flawed? (About This)"

You're pretty much on track. If you have a decent drivetrain, I believe it is considerably less expensive to just go with it. Staying reasonably stock is going to lead you to fewer problems. I have found that change begets more change. You set out to make a $200 modification and it quickly turns into a cool grand. I also think you will be back on the road years earlier with a stock ride. Exceptions? Sure there are? A 100% correct stock resto is outrageously expensive too. You can also rod one out with a donor car, fabbing everything yourself and stubbornly refusing to buy an aftermarket part. Quality of your truck depends entirely on your ability and spare time on hand.

What makes you a darksider? All depends on who you ask. For me it's a drivetrain switch, extensive body mods or an IFS. Adding power steering, brakes or radial tires for safety does not. Just my opinion though and I'd sure hate to force it on someone else around here.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:17 AM
ddurant
Senior User

hi, Larry

i agree with himmelberg, there is no set line, only in our minds. i consider my truck stock since it has the orig. flathead and drive train, and i have not modified the cab or bed. but i have made, shall we say, upgrades that improve safety and driveability. these include the following.

front power disk brake kit, on the org. axle.
carpet and sound proofing on the floor.
abs insl. fire wall cover.
insl. behind the head liner.
home made door panels.
column mounted turn signals.
gas filled shocks.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Big Hands
Senior User

Larry,
The debate rages daily here. I''ll wager almost no one has a complete 100% original stocker here, a real numbers matching, concours type truck.

!950's technology was good at the time but not so great now. I waver daily between 302 and y Block...On days when the Y Block is purring...I'm there....when I wonder if I'm gonna get back to the house..the 302 looks great.

At the least, upgrade your braking and anything else you can do for driveability. And as Peter said, please post your mistakes and triumphs, the dollar you save in not doing something or doing it a certain way may just be mine !

Enjoy the forum and remember, it's a hobby, it's suppossed to be FUN

Happy Motoring

Steve

Old 08-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well Larry, Peter hit it pretty close along with 'fenders and the rest. Therefore I must add something to confuse the issue before you have time to truly understand.

Since the Great Divide is only in our minds, we can manipulate it as we see fit. If 'fenders bugs me too much, then he's a Darksider because his cigar lighter isn't original. If Peter has a part I need, then his famous "Tailpipe Carburetor" is stock since it's made of stuff that's old - or at least dirty and rusty. Get the idea? Each of us whips in and out of Darksidedom and Stockularity regularly because our status is under the control of those around us whom we annoy and regale.

At the risk of mentioning a non-manly color, might I suggest "The Pinkside" and "Pinksider" for those who lurk in the netherworld between Stockularity and Darksidedom?

Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Heya -

I've mentioned on here before that I am tormented DAILY between Kustom and stock! Why? Because I am a hardcore car guy, and an artist. Also, to make things worse...I am a historian interested in American history in general, and mid-century culture specifically. That just comfuses things! To me, what kustomizers did 40, 50 years ago is just as valid as the stockers that have survived the torch. (I like my Mercs un-shopped, thank you!).

Another prob I have is that my truck's 6 and 3spd was replaced before I bought it. I've done some other things to it and now it has a 351M w/C6 and a '65 Galaxie rear end! So I might as well go WAAAYYY over to the Darkside, right?

"Come to the Darkside....it's sssoooooo much more fuuunnnnn.....Go on, BITE the fruit of temptation!!...you'll feel good....(Vincent Price laugh) ha ha ha haaaaaaa"

I like the stock look, which is what I'll wind up with, but already have a more modern drivetrain. Keep it stock, and upgrade for safety....pwr steering/brakes, radials, seat belts, etc. Good call.

- Shane

Old 08-01-2003, 10:50 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru

Too me, it all comes down to how you use it. I'm from the rustbelt so we don't drive our trucks during the winter season. Plus we got a 1997 F-150 which is all I could ask for when it comes to creature comforts. IMO the best part about my truck is that its nothing like any car I own, its fun to drive with no power steering or brakes. Besides, I've seen aton of modified 1960's, how many fully restored 1960's have you seen? Full restoration is an Ohio thing right George ? Either way if you enjoy your truck out of it, thats all that counts. -4speed

Old 08-01-2003, 10:57 AM
5356f100
Junior User

Stock or Custom? I solved this problem from the very start..........I bought two trucks!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:03 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're all a bunch of "Charlie Browns" here
Wishey - Washey - Wishie - Washey

Old 08-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Very well put guys!

I decided to remain stock with mine only because I picked up a low mileage truck. I was going to go completely stock except for maybe a non-stock paint job. The more I look at 4speed's truck, the more I'm loving his two-tone color combo.

Like everyone else, I'm only funning around on these "debates".
To me, there is no "us" or "them".
I feel that everyone here has an awesome truck, regardless of stock, Mod, or progress.

"Stocking" the fridge.

Last edited by Kenny; 08-01-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:43 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru

"Stocking" the fridge.
Thats terrible kenny Ahh so your thinking about changing the color ehh? -Darksider! (j/k) -"nancy"4speed

Old 08-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

I know, that was bad.

The white is not the original paint. I was originally thinking about a "darkside" color, but I do like your color combo a lot. I'm a long way from painting, but I'm re-thinking now.

Indian Turquiose and white would actually make me stock.

BTW....Your "blinker" has been left on since Jan 2000. Would this have to do with your being a "senior" user?

Old 08-01-2003, 01:34 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The darkside starts when you put in an engine with #1 & #2 cylinders on different heads.

Old 08-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FEEL THE TEMP-TA-TION, BROTH-UHS and SIS-TUHS!!!!

Quick Reply: The Great "Stocker" Or "Dark Side" debate