1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Great "Stocker" Or "Dark Side" debate

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 01:45 AM
1960 Ford F100
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Sixoh
Hey '60 Ford -

You'll have to tell me what you're gonna do to get that rig down! Mine's a little on the high side too. You're a real kustom guy at a real shop....lemme run this by you:

For the front, I wanted to retain the orig suspension, and send the axle to Mordrop out in Oakland, Ca. to get the front down about 3 or 4". I'll just get an add-on P/S unit and upgrd to P/B too.

For the rear...with the axle on the wrongside of the springs....
I was thinking of notching the frame and moving the rear end above the springs and using some good, ol' fashioned blocks to it.

I figured this way, I could use what I've got and spend next-to-nothing. I was gonna use 15x8s out back, but am thinking of sticking w/the 15x7s.

BTW if anyone else out there wants to get the nose down the "old skool" way:

Mordrop Axles
(510) 261-1888
Kinda funny you mentioned Mordrop, because we are playing with the exact same thing right now for my truck. My debate is to get the 4 inch drop from them or do the volare front k member. I think for temporary i am going to do the mordrop suspension, c notch both the front and rear frame remove leaf springs to soften the ride (less choppy), and do a flip kit in the rear, with blocks. I am goin to run 15x7 in the front and 15x10 in the back. I already have the wheels, and they are getting polished as I type this.

Now once i pull the cab and front clip off, the front is going to get a volare front suspension. No question. I have talked to a few people and they all agree that it is the way to go, and is an easy install (for someone who knows how to fab). Dave at backstreet, thinks that the volare suspension is a great way to do it for inexpensive, and a great alternative to the mustang 2 front suspension. I also plan on putting a toyota steering box in the truck to get the power steering taken care of. I already have a master cyl from a mustang, that is going on the truck right away, to help with stopping that heavy beast...

That is what my plan for the truck is..

Old 08-08-2003, 07:56 PM
PJS55
Senior User

Please forgive my confusion, but why are you going to use a Toyota steering box with a volare clip when the clip already has the power steering box on it, in the right location to line up with the rest of the steering. just interested in hearing about a variation on a theme.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:30 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Cool The Great "Stocker" Or "Dark Side" debate

I love this forum! I vacillate (on a daily basis) between chucking the traight axly and installing an IFS and just keeping it stock with some safety / performance upgrades. I just put the clutch et al back together and took the old beast out for a spin round the neighbor hood and even with all the bangs and rattles and bumps and pumped up muscles from steering and elbows flying (steering gear needs a rebuild BAD) I still just love driving this thing! Let the record state that that was a WORLD CLASS run on sentence!

Anyway I've spent another pleasant few minutes under the front end pondering and have decided that for me, best approach is to rebuild what's there with some modern touches. Even at 50+ years old it's solid. So it rides a little rough - it's a truck! This will also let me do it a piece at a time without having the truck down for a long time and will help with the ballet shoes (NOT FOR ME) that I have to buy to keep up with my girls. Balance is good - even between the "light" and "darksides"!!!

Already decided to keep the flathead (I'm a sucker for the way it sounds with Smithy's) so might as well lean toward the stock (light) side!!!

Flatheads forever - keep en running!

Old 08-09-2003, 05:45 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OilLeaks

Thank You

Flat is where it's at

Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by 4tl8ford
... Flat is where it's at ...
I guess then you two would be ... Flat Cats? Bwaa haa haa haa

ROTFLMAO!!!

Old 08-09-2003, 06:56 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru

Oileaks,

You used "vacillate " in a post a little before this one. Granted, you did use the word correctly, but still , you used one of those high-fallutin compound words that half our group don't really understand. Daryl " Butch 302" Stone is probably still gigglin, thinkin it means something dirty. (Cuzin John and myself are probably the only two others that know what it really means cause we have lots book learnin. George might know as well, since he's ..., well....George)

Anyway, you're knew here so we'll just give you a warning - there is a strict code of conduct on the 48-60 forum that should brush up on.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:58 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru

How did this stock versus rod thing get turned around anyway?

It's us rodders that are the enlightened ones....the ones that have seen the light of the modern componants,etc....

It's the stockers that are still in the dark. They should be referred to as the darksiders not us.

Can I hear an Amen! ?

Old 08-09-2003, 07:11 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts

aaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!!!!

john

Old 08-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, that light you two are seeing through the clouded lens of the dark side just might be on a locomotive. Don't vacillate, jump to the light now before it's too late!

Old 08-09-2003, 11:28 PM
atticmole
Senior User

Here's another light sider who knows what it is to vacillate, But I don't consider myself Wishy Washy, Just a guy with an open mind. What was the question again?

Old 08-10-2003, 06:58 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Thumbs up The Great "Stocker" Or "Dark Side" debate

Whut was I think'in? Okay, I brushed up on the "code" and will try to keep it between the lines going forward. An interesting thought that we have the light and dark reversed though...could be that I've seen the "dark"? Maybe I'll just shoot for the "twilight" and split hairs in the middle - you know, keep the straight axle but put discs and mono springs on it with (shudder) gas shocks! The horrors! Next thing I'll want to do is put power steering it in with a jap box - OW OW brain hurts!

Flatheads forever - keep em running!

Old 08-10-2003, 08:21 AM
1960 Ford F100
Cross-Country

Originally posted by PJS55
Please forgive my confusion, but why are you going to use a Toyota steering box with a volare clip when the clip already has the power steering box on it, in the right location to line up with the rest of the steering. just interested in hearing about a variation on a theme.
Ooops... guess the way I typed that, is the reason I confused you. What I meant to say is that if i stick with the more drop front suspension, i was going to stick a toyota steering box in there. The volare front suspension does have the power steering box, and doesnt need to be replaced...

Old 08-11-2003, 02:49 AM
55forder
Elder User

It's the stockers that are still in the dark. They should be referred to as the darksiders not us.

Can I hear an Amen! ?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Amen!

Old 08-11-2003, 03:16 AM
atticmole
Senior User

Now I may be new but I'f I understand things right, The term Darksider is not about, Being in the dark, or behind the times of technoligy or Ideas. Its about the Dark mind it takes to take a perfectly nice stock truck, and try and change it and morph it into something different. Said with all due respect to all you dark minded people, Because I too have my Dark side.

Last edited by atticmole; 08-11-2003 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, now OilLeaks is startin' to scare me. He used "Vacillate" AND said "Going Forward". That's corporate America for you!

Man, don't worry about the suspension. I'm keeping mine stock (With stock rims if I can find some), with the exception of a dropped axle, pwr. steering and pwr. brakes. I don't know whether to go w/layered or a mono spring for the front. I really don't know the difference, other than clearance.

As far as dark & light...hey, if the seasons didn't change, we'd get bored!

I've updated my gallery with some (rough) sketches of my truck as an early '60s full kustom. The ideas are still evolving, as art does, so excuse the first try. As an artist, I've never developed my illustration skills. As Himmel and 4speed know, I work in 3D. I will post a finished concept pretty quick with a little better care taken in the drawings.

Beware! You're about to enter the Darkside.....heh heh...this should set off a few fireworks!

Quick Reply: The Great "Stocker" Or "Dark Side" debate