Sponsored by: Moser

Looking to buy used - help me decide year

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM
spotdog14
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy used - help me decide year

Hello everyone. I finally am going to join the ranks of F-150 owners (again). My wife wants to get a used F-150 when her lease is up on her Grand Cherokee next year and I'm starting to research now. I've narrowed it down to a 2010+ Platinum between 35-40k but haven't really be able to find a good list of changes/options that were added each year.

I have come to notice that HID's and an updated center stack were done in 2013 and 2011+ had a new instrument cluster but beyond that I haven't noticed much difference. I'm also unsure of which engine to get, 3.5L, 5.0L or the rare 6.2L.

I currently drive a 2008 Expedition and if I would have done some more research I would have not purchased a 2008. 2009+ had heated seats in the second row, Sync and more importantly the redesigned 5.4L spark plugs that don't break when you replace them.

Also are there any common wear issues I should make sure to check out when looking at vehicles? For instance the Expedition is known to have paint bubble on the aluminum hood and lift gate.

Thank you for any advice or insight.

Here is a picture of my beast.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found a 2014 Limited I couldn't pass up when looking for a Lariat or maybe King Ranch, and got it for the same price, because it was used. What are you looking to do with your truck? I wanted a 4x4, EcoBoost and the 3.55 EL Diff because I have a 20' bay boat, and tow it quite a bit. If it'll just be a daily driver or you otherwise have no engine preference, any will do if you find the right deal. Mileage will be pretty similar, depending how you drive and which diff you get, so it really comes down to what you prefer what deals you find out there when you're ready to buy.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
spotdog14
New User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I found a 2014 Limited I couldn't pass up when looking for a Lariat or maybe King Ranch, and got it for the same price, because it was used. What are you looking to do with your truck? I wanted a 4x4, EcoBoost and the 3.55 EL Diff because I have a 20' bay boat, and tow it quite a bit. If it'll just be a daily driver or you otherwise have no engine preference, any will do if you find the right deal. Mileage will be pretty similar, depending how you drive and which diff you get, so it really comes down to what you prefer what deals you find out there when you're ready to buy.
Thanks for the reply. The F-150 will basically become my wife's daily driver but will need 4x4 and I won't even consider one with the locking rear (since I don't have it in mine, its kind of sucked). I'm not that picky on axle ratio's either, I currently have the 3.31 in the Expedition and don't have a problem pulling our 19 foot travel trailer or anything else. We haven't come close to maxing out the 9,200lbs rating on the Expedition.

One thing I am going back and forth on is the 5 1/2 vs 6 1/2 foot box. I haven't made up my mind yet on that.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You didn't mention your budget. There are a lot of nice used F150's out there and I would suggest you get with your local Ford dealer and let them do a search just to see what all is available in your area. I sure you probably are more interested in buying a from a private seller but you never know, there may be some pretty good deals from a dealers. You have nothing to loose at lease seeing what's available.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
spotdog14
New User
Originally Posted by shortride
You didn't mention your budget. There are a lot of nice used F150's out there and I would suggest you get with your local Ford dealer and let them do a search just to see what all is available in your area. I sure you probably are more interested in buying a from a private seller but you never know, there may be some pretty good deals from a dealers. You have nothing to loose at lease seeing what's available.
We are looking to spend between $35,000 and $40,000. Obviously the less the better but since we are going to keep this for a while I would really like something under 36,000 miles.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought a 6 1/2 foot bed so that I could sleep back there sometimes. I added a Snug Top topper, a Bed Rug, and a futon. But since it's just going to be a daily driver the 5 1/2 foot bed might be easier in parking lots. I have the Super Cab and adults don't want to sit in the back seat for more than an hour or so, get a 4 door if folks will be in the back seat regularly.

If you might use your truck for towing sometimes then consider one with the max tow option. That provides you with extra towing capacity, 7 pin and 4 pin connectors, towing brake controller, and anti sway technology.

I never buy the first year of a new model.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
spotdog14
New User
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
I bought a 6 1/2 foot bed so that I could sleep back there sometimes. I added a Snug Top topper, a Bed Rug, and a futon. But since it's just going to be a daily driver the 5 1/2 foot bed might be easier in parking lots. I have the Super Cab and adults don't want to sit in the back seat for more than an hour or so, get a 4 door if folks will be in the back seat regularly.

If you might use your truck for towing sometimes then consider one with the max tow option. That provides you with extra towing capacity, 7 pin and 4 pin connectors, towing brake controller, and anti sway technology.

I never buy the first year of a new model.
I was under the impression that all Platinum's were SuperCrews?

As for the tow package, do all models include the 7 pin or is it just with either the 'trailer tow package' or the 'max tow package'?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spotdog14
I was under the impression that all Platinum's were SuperCrews?

As for the tow package, do all models include the 7 pin or is it just with either the 'trailer tow package' or the 'max tow package'?
I'm pretty sure the 7 pin is only available with the tow package. My 2014 Limited has the max tow package with electric trailer brakes that work through the 7 pin connector. My 2010 F150 without a tow package didn't have the 7 pin connector.

You should be able to find some pretty good deals for the budget you mentioned. Most of it boils down to how practical you are when it comes to buying options that you may not need. You can save yourself a lot of money if you stay away from a lot of the bling blings, lift kits and other things that can add up before you know it.

The Platinum's are only SuperCrew.

Whether you do any towing or not, it would be hard to beat an Ecoboost. So far the fuel mileage on my 2014 E.B. Limited is getting 22 MPG. 5,000 miles on it so far without any issue. GREAT TRUCK!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM
spotdog14
New User
I'm pretty sure the 7 pin is only available with the tow package. My 2014 Limited has the max tow package with electric trailer brakes that work through the 7 pin connector. My 2010 F150 without a tow package didn't have the 7 pin connector.

You should be able to find some pretty good deals for the budget you mentioned. Most of it boils down to how practical you are when it comes to buying options that you may not need. You can save yourself a lot of money if you stay away from a lot of the bling blings, lift kits and other things that can add up before you know it.

The Platinum's are only SuperCrew.

Whether you do any towing or not, it would be hard to beat an Ecoboost. So far the fuel mileage on my 2014 E.B. Limited is getting 22 MPG. 5,000 miles on it so far without any issue. GREAT TRUCK!
If you don't mind me posting an example. This is why I am slightly confused by tow ratings for the F-150. For my Expedition you had two options, no tow package which meant you could tow 6,000 lbs and only had a 4 flat connector OR you had the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package and could tow 9,000 lbs (with 4x4) and had a 7 pin connector as well (with 3.31 axle).

For the F-150 I see, no tow package, tow package and max tow package. Take for instance this vehicle I am looking at.

2013 Ford F150 SuperCrew Platinum - AutoTrader link

Window Sticker link

It shows no tow package at all in the options, but has brake controller and anti-sway. If I look up the tow rating for a SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L Eco with the 3.55 axle ratio it gives me 9,600 lbs regardless of tow package. Is this correct or am I reading it wrong?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had an 07 F150 XLT crew and a 2011 Expy EL. I now have a 2012 F-150 Platinum Crew ecoboost and love it. I have a 2015 XLT crew as a loaner right now while my 2012 f150 is being serviced for a pinion leak. I hate the 2015. Front seating area seem a couple of inches smaller. Plus I don't care for the new style front seats. Not as comfortable as the seats in my 2012. Truck seems very squirrely. Windshield seems smaller and the steering it way to light. I would say if you can find a 2014 in your price range you would have a good truck.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
That Platinum says one owner...but around here the Nissan dealer rents out their new vehicles and then later sells them as one owner. So was that truck from a rental fleet?

Old 07-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]I'm pretty sure the 7 pin is only available with the tow package. My 2014 Limited has the max tow package with electric trailer brakes that work through the 7 pin connector. My 2010 F150 without a tow package didn't have the 7 pin connector.
///SNIP///
I don't think you have "Max Tow" on a Limited. We have a "towing package" with the 7-pin connector, integrated trailer brake controller, and trans cooler. All the Limiteds recently are "limited" to around 7200 lbs, I do believe. That doesn't bother me in the slightest because all I tow is my 4500 lb boat. It may affect others. Now keep in mind that this is "legally" tow. It will pull 10,000+ lbs (as some online reviewers inadvertently did & published the results), but if you get into an incident overloaded by almost 3,000 lbs, bad things will likely happen. The same exact truck (minus the wheels & tires) are rated for 9,000+...

Old 07-30-2015, 03:05 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I don't think you have "Max Tow" on a Limited.
X2
A truck with Max Tow would have the telescoping trailer tow (dumbo ears) mirrors.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
My suggestion would be the lowest mile and newest truck you can find, the 5.0 is a good combination of power/MPG. Of course my personal favorite is the 6.2. Any of the engines should be good for you though.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I would try for a 2013-14. they have the most upgrades.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy used - help me decide year