Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hydra Tuner Adventures (with Logs!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:39 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hydra Tuner Adventures (with Logs!)

Installed my Hydra today. Had a few issues that will need worked out and I'll go through them here, but in the meantime...enjoy!

This is a custom tune by a well-known tuner designed for Towing and Economy.

I know I still have some air leaks at the intake manifold plenums, and possibly a few other minor things (I hope).

Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Second Run- with HPOI

This is the second run, this time with HPOI. It looks more like a recent graph from another poster (the HPOI graph).

Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You can see that HPOI doing what it's supposed to do. It drops below 10 when things are good, and shoots up when things are... well... not so good.

Its the FIPW, it's the FIPW, it's the FIPW. Really it's the FIPW. About that FIPW... I can never see the value on the FIPW when it's a flat line at the bottom. I strongly suggest you use the multiplier of 1000 to make the reading microseconds, then you can use the scale on the right. This will make the FIPW line obvious, readable, and shoot right off the graph when your ICP dips.

What you're feeling: It should have plenty of "goop" at the shift up, but fade as the RPMs climb - leaving you to wonder "where's this permagrin everybody talks about?" Then... the next shift up brings on a full goop, smacking that permagrin right back on your face.

I can't read that light green line in the manner it is formatted right now, but I know what it's doing - I've seen it a hundred gabillion times before.

I can see the FIPW is not as bad as I have seen on other tunes, but it's still not optimal. Dropping a T500 in there looks to be on the menu - your HPOP was bringing high 10s on the HPOI before you chipped. I still want to see what would happen to your HPOP if that cursed FIPW is brought down a bit.

Uh.... What's with the 43 PSI BARO? Did we forget to apply the formula?

Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
HPOI re-graph

Excellent comments. Very helpful, as usual

Here's a new graph of the same data with the FIPW at a larger scale. FIPW sure is easier to read

Here's HPOI from a month ago, just after fixing the exhaust leak (loose clamp)

So you think I'm maxing out my HPOP? I thought it was pretty good

I saw it drop in the upper graph, but so did the RPMs, I may have been on a corner (the hill had some really sharp turns).

It's not an ideal WOT, straight run and I had trouble finding a suitable dataset in it, but wanted to get *something* on my trip last night

43 Baro? What 43 Baro LOL. I was running an AE log for someone and forgot to reset it. Should be fixed now

Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, FIPW is much easier to understand at the higher scale. The IPR Duty Cycle isn't too bad IMO - driving unloaded that is, we definitely have seen worse. But I don't think this is your tow tune, the tow tunes usually don't have that high of a FIPW, but do crank up the ICP.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
and wow, 75-77 ,mph at 2000 rpm's? Is this due to your rim size being 18".

Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
and wow, 75-77 ,mph at 2000 rpm's? Is this due to your rim size being 18".
I'm running 35's on 22" rims. I didn't pick the rims, they were on it with low profile tires when I bought it. They now look like "real" wheels and tires

But I DID want to get to that height anyways. Trying to push the 3.73 more towards an effective 3.55 ratio for economy options.

BTW, if anyone is interested, this tune REALLY, REALLY makes good use of the John Wood Valve Body. Much more effective than stock

Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Here is a heavy tow tune...

A heavy tow tune. Slower speeds, but analyzing HPOP. This was my max value ( >3000psi )

Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I lost track of the work you've done on your truck. Have you done injector O-rings? I see that IPR going a place I don't like, with the FIPW behaving itself.

You have an HPO problem, no doubt about it.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
I lost track of the work you've done on your truck. Have you done injector O-rings? I see that IPR going a place I don't like, with the FIPW behaving itself.

Injector orings
ICP (aftermarket with IH numbers)
Dorman UVCH+Gasket single piece, both sides
OEM Glowplugs
Fuel bowl rebuild, new Parker fittings on fuel lines, Hutch mod, OEM filter
FRx, HPx
Turbo rebuild with WW1 ('95 wheel)
4" MBRP SS turbo back
Ford AIS without fender sleeve (yet, LOL)
Coolant flush, new OEM TStat, new hoses, EC-1 coolant
6.0 Trans cooler, trans filter, Mercon V (changed twice at close interval after JWVB)
New battery (one of the new pair failed @ 6mos)
John Wood Valve Body
Rotella 15w-40w DINO...due for change shortly
New clutch fan, tensioner pulleys, serpentine belt
Misc- 35" Tires, F350 springs, brush guard, Helwig sway bar, front steering stabilizer shock, electrical connectors cleaned and repaired, door locks lubed and smoother, fixed adjustable pedals, Prodigy P2
And now- Hydra tuner

I know we've chatted about HPOP not reaching 3000psi in the one tune, so I checked the other one and made a graph where it reached 3000psi.

I thought that was good

I had previously MIS-READ the FIPW in the earlier graph on the wrong axis, thinking it was about 5 or so, whereas it is really about 3 or so. Also thought that was good?

Maybe I should put it back to stock tune for testing? (still have to work out the no start in position 00)

I've paid close attention and think I understand analyzing stock tunes with the logs (mostly, LOL), but there is obviously more I don't know yet about the tuned logs

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:43 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly

What's your thoughts Rich? Don't like the duty cycle pushing 50% in that tune with stock split shot injectors? Kinda hard for me to see the graphs on my phone.

Edit: looks like a run from 0-45 mph, the DC just seems to be moving with the shift changes. I thought it looked pretty good but you have better data reading goggles than I do.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
52% IPR is too much for 3000 PSI. I would rather see that in the low to mid-40s. Is the HPOP a dud? No. Is it ready to use his performance tunes to their full potential? Sadly... not really.

It could be tired injectors or a tired HPOP, but the truck will strain for that permagrin... like "happily" accepting an invitation to a baby shower.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
If it helps, this tune keeps the TC locked, so it "lugs" a bit with the big tires.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Nice graphs, wish I could read them. Haven't really caught on this yet.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Hydra Towing and Economy Tune WOT graphs

As the title says Could also be called "HPOI Heart Attack"

This tune is FUN to drive Finally, after a few months of work our Excursion is AWAKE! LOL.

Without running the EGT gauge yet, I am not running any of the really aggressive tunes. But I'm curious

It "feels good" but I don't really have a comparison. I haven't driven one of the performance trucks you guys all seem to have

I do see a troublesome EBT still. Builds up, drops, builds up, drops...have to find that leak...hope it isn't uppipes

Go ahead, break it down, tear it apart, highlight the good and the bad. Always looking to learn...and willing to share the pupils' chair

Quick Reply: Hydra Tuner Adventures (with Logs!)