Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Death Wobble -- 2nd Time in Six Weeks

Old 07-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble -- 2nd Time in Six Weeks

Hello. I have a 2012 Ford F250 4WD Diesel. Three times in my ownership of it I have experienced the dreaded death wobble/rattle etc. It always happens over railroad tracks. First time was a year ago when they said my factory tires were defective and replaced them. Second time was a month ago when they replaced a couple pieces of the suspension. And then today it happened again, going over the tracks around 45 mph and whammo, could barely control it, slowed it down and tried to get on the side of the road while it violently shook. I called the dealer, explained I was slightly annoyed and didn't feel like paying another $100 deductible for the same thing when he told me well there could be like eight things causing that so you'll probably have to pay your deductible again. I've heard of aftermarket things to help with this, but in general, is there a normal cause of what causes this death rattle thing? I am about ready to sell this vehicle between this and another issue I found about today. The truck only has 35K on it and it's over 3 years old. Is there a way to salvage this? Thanks

Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 PM
blackestate
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there may be a lot of things that could cause it, but they should be able to find it.
Try a different dealer? does the truck have a stabilizer shock on the steering?

Old 07-29-2015, 08:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joannr24
Hello. I have a 2012 Ford F250 4WD Diesel. Three times in my ownership of it I have experienced the dreaded death wobble/rattle etc. It always happens over railroad tracks. First time was a year ago when they said my factory tires were defective and replaced them. Second time was a month ago when they replaced a couple pieces of the suspension. And then today it happened again, going over the tracks around 45 mph and whammo, could barely control it, slowed it down and tried to get on the side of the road while it violently shook. I called the dealer, explained I was slightly annoyed and didn't feel like paying another $100 deductible for the same thing when he told me well there could be like eight things causing that so you'll probably have to pay your deductible again...
Hi Joannr24,

I'll get this escalated to your regional customer service manager; I know they'll want to resolve the wobble for good. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal