Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag Install: Missing Jounce Stops / Leaf Spring has just spacer no bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bag Install: Missing Jounce Stops / Leaf Spring has just spacer no bump stops

2000 V10 4WD.

Could use some help here. Was going to install Airlift 5000 Rear air bags (part # 57340) this weekend. Had them pre-assembled and ready to go in. Then looked under the truck and my truck is missing the (what Ford is calling the Jounce Stop / Leaf Spring Axel U-bolt spacer

(Buy 2000 Ford Excursion Parts | FordParts.com) scroll down to part number 5598. None in the Ford system and no success in searching for after market.

The X does have a spacer between the axle and spring just not the stop where the rubber frame bump comes down and strikes.

Called Airlift, they have ran into the issue before but have no fix. Airlift suggested that I order straps and brackets then I started questioning air bag travel and sizes, engineering got involved and said it would not work. I looked at Firestone Air Bag systems and they use the stop as well.

I have searched for someone carrying the part with no success. Junk yards are an option and I will start looking.

Air there any suggestions on an airbag system that mounts to the axle not using this bump stop.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Old 07-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
There's a company that sells rear blocks with provisions for the lower airbag mount, however their name escapes me right now.

I know it's been mentioned on here before as an alternative for the tapered SuperDuty block... Hopefully someone will chime in with the company. I'll see if I can find it as well.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:29 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
How tall are the blocks on your EX right now, the ones without the bumpstop arm?

Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
I will get a measurement on them when I get home tonight... Back with you shortly.

Just got off the phone with Air Lift again, the story is changing a little now. They are thinking that I can install a 2 wheel drive kit with a spacer kit.... Also just found Pro Comp make a lift spring spacer with strike plate. Going to call them and see if their spacer with strike plate is same form fit and function as OEM.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Something's not right here. My 2000 V10 4x4 had all stock suspension and came with a block that had the arm on it:

This is post-spring-swap, but I retained the stock blocks.

...if yours does not, I'm thinking someone has already tried tweaking the suspension.

If you can get measurements from the top of your wheel arches to the center of the wheel on each corner and post them, maybe we can figure out what if any changes could have been done already to your springs/blocks. OR...just get us that block height.

Maybe you can just get the proper blocks with the jounce arm on it and swap the blocks. Blocks should be dirt cheap (especially if they are stock height), and U bolts are cheap to replace.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pro comp and ready lift both make lift blocks with strikers for the bump stops. Just about any junkyard will have about a billion they will give you for a few bucks too. I've not installed airbags so there significance is not clear to me.

Why are yours gone? Wouldn't your truck sit low kit back if you're on factory springs?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
God I love pictures....Thanks..... The only piece I have is the spacer that your brake line attached to it... And it is sitting low in the rear, 37 1/2 in the rear at the bottom of the fender on stock tires .... It was like that when I got it, Now I know why it's low. I have had this truck for about 6 months now. It has been through the mill. I continue to find issues with previous owners.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
If that's a picture of your read end, you don't even have a block back there. That spacer is just the leaf spring perch that's welded to the axle. Stock block is a 2" I believe, is it sitting that much lower in the back compared to the front?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep. No blocks. Solution to low rear is the same as my proposed solution to the airbag, which is add blocks. You can get em in any height from 2" to 6" with the cast bump stop strikers. I had a set off a newer f250 around here that were only maybe 1.5" as well. If I still have them I'll give them to you but I'm guessing they are Taiwanese toasters by now. I don't usually keep stuff like that around.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Zapola6, Can you supply a measurement from the center of the rear hub up to the center of the wheel well opening, that removes any variations in tire pressure and construction, even tires of the same size will have variations. Comparisons to other EXs with several different suspension setups can be found here, feel free to add you measurements to that his thread too. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...easurents.html
It looks like you have a newer spring in that picture, can you get a pic of it so we can see how many (and what type) of leaves it has?

How are the Falken tires doing?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
pgguru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2WD model Does not have blocks so the 2wd bags from firestone will fit..

I Took my Blocks out to lower my truck to get it on the parking lot where I work and added bags to stiffen the rear spring and give an 1 1/4 lift back.

I mounted mine to the axle because it took 8 weeks to get them in Canada and I was not going to wait to retunt and order the 2wd kit I have not had a problem with them

Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Frozen Excursion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory lift blocks

I just replaced my 2" factory blocks with 4" tapered ProComp blocks. I still have the factory blocks in the garage, if you want them they are yours...just cover the shipping.

If you are interested send me a message.

Dan

Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 AM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Well, I was going to say I know what I have to do and start Junk Yarding it... Pro Comp and Ready Lift don't carry stock height.

Frozen Excursion to my rescue with a set in his garage.... Looking for a way to pay this forward. Thanks Again.... Sent you a PM.

WE3ZS - The what look to be new Falken's are lonely and in the shed looking for a new home. Went to Michelin's E rated right after that 1st trailer pull. Don't regret a second of it. Much more adult like behavior now pulling the trailer.

Back to this tread when I get them installed. Thanks again for the help.

Steve

Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Robert,

Could I also bother you for a picture of the front.... Got to thinking and looking last night, the bump stop is almost sitting 1/4 in off on the axel....

So it's either the wrong Jounce stop that was just put in by others not mentioning the company yet or parts are missing from the front..... Betting the latter.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zapola6
Got to thinking and looking last night, the bump stop is almost sitting 1/4 in off on the axel....
Do you mean you have 1/4" clearance between the stop and the axle, or do you mean it's 1/4" off center of the axle?

Here is the only photos I took of the front:

I could get one finger between the bump stop and the axle on mine...

Quick Reply: Air bag Install: Missing Jounce Stops / Leaf Spring has just spacer no bump stops