1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 broke down in Yellowstone! Need help and or shop recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
7.3 broke down in Yellowstone! Need help and or shop recommendations.

My friend Bill is on vacation with his family towing a camper behind their Excursion. They are currently in Yellowstone and headed north toward Gardiner and eventually Missoula, MT.

The truck is shutting off intermittently. So far it restarts after cooling down for 30mins or so. Unplugging ICP sensor has no affect (but there was oil in the plug). They are at a service station right outside the park and have a scan tool hooked up. I'm hoping maybe we can see an anomaly with ICP/IPR Duty Cycle or some stored codes that point to a problem.

I'm waiting to hear back from him right now. The station has a scan tool, but no tech's that can help diagnose the problem....

Ok, ICP is ~580psi and DC is ~11% at idle. The stored codes were P1280 and P1211.

They are going to drive it now and see what they get.

Any ideas? Know anybody in that area??

Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The symptoms of shutting down when hot and restarting after cooling down a bit sound like a bad IPR solenoid. He can try driving it until it shuts down then pouring iced water.over the IPR. If it restarts immediately, I'd be willing to bet that's the problem. Unfortunately the solenoid isn't available without buying a complete IPR assembly.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Pikachu
The symptoms of shutting down when hot and restarting after cooling down a bit sound like a bad IPR solenoid. He can try driving it until it shuts down then pouring iced water.over the IPR. If it restarts immediately, I'd be willing to bet that's the problem. Unfortunately the solenoid isn't available without buying a complete IPR assembly.
That is my best suspect so far - but I've never heard of the ice water test!

I guess we'll see if he can get an IPR shipped in and hope that saves the vacation!! If I had a veggie-powered jet, I'd just fly one out there and hook them up. It just takes tooo long to drive there...

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could always get a diesel powered Cessna

Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Any ideas? Know anybody in that area??
I'll second our yellow anime friend on the sketchy IPR.

Out the west entrance to Yellowstone about 45 minutes is Mack's Inn which has an RV park and some nearby service facilities. The surprise of the place is their playhouse where they do some pretty enjoyable comedy acting. Totally family friendly. West Yellowstone is a bigger town and closer, has a NAPA store, etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Everybody posting here knows more than me, and I am a one trick pony about what the one thing which I do know something about (clogged in-tank and pickup foot screens), so full knowing that I will come off as a hammer to which everything looks like a nail, I will say that I had the same P1211 out of range code when my van had the same symptoms. Pulling over and waiting for the engine to cool down was really waiting for the fuel bowl to refill because especially going up hills, the injectors wanted to drink more fuel than the clogged/low pressure fuel system could supply to the fuel bowl for the injectors to drink from.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:44 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're in Gardner, so about 45 minutes south of Livingston, which is 30 minutes east of Bozeman. Livingston has a Napa, and a bunch of redneck ranchers, but no Ford dealer. Bozeman has Bozeman Ford, as well as Diesel Pros - a custom shop full of guys who love and know the Powerstrokes well, and have a good rep. Bozeman Ford typically has a good parts inventory. Bozeman also has Napa, O'Reilly's, and I think a new Auto Zone.

Last edited by montanasteve; 07-27-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Content
Old 07-27-2015, 05:47 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks y'all. He got roadside assistance to tow the X and camper to a shop in West Yellowstone. The tech there seems pretty knowledgeable and also diagnosed it is an IPR issue. He even noted the wires at those pigtails was compromised and recommended changing them too. They will get him in the shop in the AM and get him fixed up with new OEM ICP and IPR and pigtails.

This X has a VO system and the problem is the same on both fuels. (He also has a fuel pressure gauge)

Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Post the shop Jason if you can. I go to Afton quite often and sometimes there ford dealer can't do the work if I need it.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Post the shop Jason if you can. I go to Afton quite often and sometimes there ford dealer can't do the work if I need it.
Love that area! I'm about a 2.5 hr drive to Afton, 3.5 hr to Jackson Hole and 4 hr drive to West Yellowstone.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Some great hunting around there also. Deer, elk & Moose if you can get a tag for moose.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
How lucky is that? In a world of spray and pray mechanics, while on vacation - you find one that knows exactly what to do without putting a shop vac on the barrel of your Buck$Zooka.

Tip: Canned air. Though you may not have this on board, it's widely available. Invert the can and spray - that's freeze spray-

Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Thanks y'all. He got roadside assistance to tow the X and camper to a shop in West Yellowstone.
When I first read the original post, I thought they were already in Gardner. Glad they found a decent mechanic in West - that town ain't exactly big. Now they get to decide - save a little time and head straight up 191 through Gallatin Canyon (gorgeous) and hit I90, or back through the park and up Paradise Valley along the Yellowstone River (equally gorgeous). Hope the rest of their travels are smooth sailing.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
day late

day late to the post, but I am just outside Belgrade, which is 10 minutes from Bozeman. If he needs anything else, let me know, I have pretty much every tool he would need and some expertise in things.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
love the response to this issue.. makes me feel good knowing this kind of support is there when me and wife go full time rving in 4-5 yrs. with the '03 7.3l

Quick Reply: 7.3 broke down in Yellowstone! Need help and or shop recommendations.